Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Big-shot Barry barracked at Walsall last night

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think being there for 10 years (especially in this day and age) constitutes loyalty. Thats pretty rare these days.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Overall I am full of respect for Barry but I think this situation has been handled pretty badly by all 3 parties really (Rafa, M O'N and Barry).

Hate these transfer sagas that take ages. Lampard, Ronaldo, boring.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Well, having been there for 10 years and never angled for a move before, why SHOULD he now write off £3 million quid at the stroke of a pen ?

Would you ?

Because he wants a transfer? that's the whole point

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He HAS been loyal to the club overall, but he knows how the loyalty bonus works so he's being a bit cheeky in not putting a transfer request in when he has clearly stated many times he wants to leave.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Because he wants a transfer? that's the whole point

Well, I guess it boils down to Villa and Barrys interpretation of the word "loyalty". Has he been loyal for giving them 10 years of his career without previously angling for a move ? Or does that previous 10 years "loyalty" subsequently count for nothing the minute he wants a transfer ?

I do agree with mellotron in that its been badly handled by all parties, and Barry did himself no favours by gobbing off to the NOTW about his situation. However, I still think he's getting harsh treatment by being boo'd, taking into account his Villa career so far and the fact that a move to Liverpool at this stage of his career is bound to be hugel attrcactive. He's only being honest.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Isn't this 'Loyalty Bonus' what was being discussed yesterday about a player being due 20% of the transfer fee if they get sold against their wishes (ie without asking for a transfer). If so and this is why the deal is not going through then Barry definately is being a twat

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Mellberg did, and that's why (along with buying every fan at his last game a shirt) he's leaving Villa a true hero and Villan and Barry is leaving a true zero and Villian.

Sorry, couldn't resist that horrible horrible play on words there.
It was quite good, although it would have been even better if you'd spelt "Villain" correctly. ;)

Surely he gets the loyalty bonus by being loyal and being sold when he doesn't want to go? That's what the bonus is for, loyalty. If he's not categorically being loyal why should he get a loyalty bonus?
Spot on.

I think being there for 10 years (especially in this day and age) constitutes loyalty. Thats pretty rare these days.
And I think £3m is ample compensation for NOT flying the nest the minute a Champions League club comes knocking at the door. Isn't that precisely what the £3m clause was in there for.

I'm with Mellotron. Barry is taking the piss and he's a cock knocker for doing this to Villa.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
According to my son the Villa fan who was there last night its all a piece of press exageration (the Barrack bit). Apparently only about 2000 there and wghat looked to be a block of 40 or so nut cases where doing all the barracking. He says he only heard one cry of Judas in the direction of Barry.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seeing as Villa tried to steal Barry and Standing for peanuts and had to be taken to a tribunal, I have no sympathy whatsoever if they feel shafted. What comes around goes around.

The fact that this act was perpetrated by an ex Albion player, managing Villa, whilst the club was on the point of going to the wall makes it even worse.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And I think £3m is ample compensation for NOT flying the nest the minute a Champions League club comes knocking at the door. Isn't that precisely what the £3m clause was in there for.

I'm with Mellotron. Barry is taking the piss and he's a cock knocker for doing this to Villa.

Well in years gone by, ten years service would have warranted a testimonial, but being as players in Barrys bracket have already earned megabucks, its no longer necessary.

However, I still think its a bit rich (no pun intended) for everyone to get on Barrys case because he's holding out for that £3m bonus. Who here could honestly say they wouldn't do EXACTLY the same in his position ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well in years gone by, ten years service would have warranted a testimonial, but being as players in Barrys bracket have already earned megabucks, its no longer necessary.

However, I still think its a bit rich (no pun intended) for everyone to get on Barrys case because he's holding out for that £3m bonus. Who here could honestly say they wouldn't do EXACTLY the same in his position ?
I might hold out for the £3m. Or I might slap in a transfer request and go off and fulfill a career ambition with a better club.

But if I was paid £3m not to move to said better club, I wouldn't expect both eventualities. So no, I wouldn't behave like that - especially if I was already being paid £2.5m a year by my employers (plus endorsements).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Or he could sit tight, pick up his £3m loyalty bonus, run his contract down and then go for nothing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this loyalty bonus is an interesting twist. i think 3million is dubious but the principle seem rational enough. however i doubt the average Villa fan is fully in the know and they are booing becuase thats what football fans do. at the end of the day, he isnt sulking or avoiding preseason with "injury" like many transfer targets seems to be, he's getting on with training and playing for his current club.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Brighton fan here who has also followed Villa for a good few years.

What a lot of people don't realise is that a big reason the Villa fans have turned on Barry is because he refuses to put in a transfer request, because then he would lose his 3m LOYALTY bonus (amusing name considering the situation).

If he would put in a transfer request, we would be able to sell him for 15m, we are asking for 18m due to the fact Barry will not put in a transfer request. The fact of the matter is Villa have a billionaire chairman so it's not as if they desperately need the money, that's why MON is holding out for as much as he can get. If you get me.

How come he was he close to joining Pompey a year or so ago for just £5m and now when he wants to leave his value more than triples ? Not surprised he wants to leave Villa really , if they have a billionaire chairman why doesnt he spend some of the dosh on his team ? They have probably the smallest squad of players in the Premier League and are always just a middle of the table team with nothing to play for , come the second week of January.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I think its harsh.
Barry has given Villa more than 10 years good service. Who can blame him for wanting to move on and play in the Champions League ? Its not like he's some kind of mercenary jumping from club to club. He's 27 now, so this would probably be the one and only "big move" in his career, and I reckon he deserves the chance to make a name for himself at Anfield.

Anyone barracking him for that is a bit of a wanker. In my opinion.

Yup, totally agree.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Hate these transfer sagas that take ages. Lampard, Ronaldo, boring.

Totally agree. I am sick to f***ing death of reading about how poor little Frank Lampard wants 4 years instead of 3, how poor little Ronaldo would like to treble his already stupidly exhorbitant wages at Real Madrid, and how poor little Adeybeyoor wants more money to stay at Arsenal instead of going to Barcelona, how poor little Lampard (again) is upset because JT earns a bit more tha he does, I could go on and on and on.......

I am fast losing any kind of respect I used to have for the top players. All half of them care about is how much money they can get. As far as I care, they can f*** right off, every last one of them.

*and relax*

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Theres no football. The papers have to have SOMETHING to work people up into a frenzy about.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How come he was he close to joining Pompey a year or so ago for just £5m and now when he wants to leave his value more than triples ? Not surprised he wants to leave Villa really , if they have a billionaire chairman why doesnt he spend some of the dosh on his team ? They have probably the smallest squad of players in the Premier League and are always just a middle of the table team with nothing to play for , come the second week of January.

Think that's going a bit far, as we very narrowly missed out on European football last season. 2 places below Liverpool.

His value has more than tripled due to his becoming an England regular, ahead of Hargreaves, Carrick and possibly even Lampard. And plus Villa don't need the money so what would be the point in selling him for less than they can get?

It looks like a deal may finally go through that entails roughly 16m plus Steve Finnan and therefore Martin O'Neill has done exactly the right thing in holding out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here