Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Big Cheers To Whoever It Was Posted Link For Free 'Girl With Dragon Tattoo' Book

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry, can't find original thread, but big cheers to whoever it was posted the link for the free book to tie-in with the Hollywood remake of the 'Girl With The Dragon Tattoo'. Big fat 500+ page book dropped through letterbox this morning. That's Winter holiday reading taken care of. Thanks :thumbsup:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Thanks whoever it was. Being old I had forgotten where it came from, no note or anything in the package, been searching Emails, asking family. Been driving me nuts. Why did someone send me a book I haven't got but I have read?
Now I know, I can put it with the next two, that I have to make the full set. I now need to go and see the new Hollywood version to see why someone thought it necessary to try and make a Hollywood version. :shrug:

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Going to watch it at the Duke of Yorks this evening, can anyone who's seen it shed some light on whether it's good or not?

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Mine came this morning as well. Going to see the film next week. Soundtrack should be good, it's by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
The original is very good.

Really? Haven't seen it but I expect the most recent one with Daniel Craig won't be as good.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Bit of a slow burner but definitely worth seeing, although it hasn’t done as well as expected in the States. I personally think they could have lopped off about half an hour of the 2 ½ hours running time without really losing anything. The actress who plays Lisbeth steals the show. “Orinoco Flow” by Enya could become a hit again the same way “Stuck in the middle with you” did.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Sorry, can't find original thread, but big cheers to whoever it was posted the link for the free book to tie-in with the Hollywood remake of the 'Girl With The Dragon Tattoo'. Big fat 500+ page book dropped through letterbox this morning. That's Winter holiday reading taken care of. Thanks :thumbsup:

It was me :bigwave:

You're very welcome!

Mine arrived today as well

portlander

Jul 16, 2003
Portland, Maine, USA
Movie is excellent, once you get over James Bond playing Mikhail Blomquist. It's over two and a half hours long but I didn't look at my watch once as it's so well paced. Obviously much of what's in the book has to be omitted, but that's not to the detriment of the movie. Having said that, I'm glad I had read the book before seeing the movie. The actress playing Lizabeth Salander absolutely nails the part, and even Daniel Craig isn't too bad.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Mine arrived too! I read it on holiday but the 50 degree heat melted the glue on my old copy, causing all the pages to fall out... I'll hopefully get a chance to read it again soon, and I'm looking forward to the film!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Movie is excellent, once you get over James Bond playing Mikhail Blomquist. It's over two and a half hours long but I didn't look at my watch once as it's so well paced. Obviously much of what's in the book has to be omitted, but that's not to the detriment of the movie. Having said that, I'm glad I had read the book before seeing the movie. The actress playing Lizabeth Salander absolutely nails the part, and even Daniel Craig isn't too bad.

Enjoyed reading the Larsson trilogy very much and feel these should translate onto the big screen ok - but apprehensive that Hollywood are going to ruin them like so many others - however your post suggests all is ok. So thanks, we will give it a go.

Can NSCers recommend any similar Scandinavian crime fiction? - there seem to be plenty of authors to choose from - I am about to start a Camilla Lackberg but notice that Jo Nesbo and Liza Marklund seem to get mentioned a fair bit.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
Mine arrived today as well. Thanks to the original OP

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
What was wrong with the original set of movies? The Hollywood version was only made because the Americans can't read and they thought they could make a fortune by recycling a fantastic set of original films without subtitles (DVDs are dubbed). Stick with the originals. All the critics say that the new version adds nothing.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Got mine today (was sat on my desk when I arrived at the office) - Thanks again, [MENTION=68]227 BHA[/MENTION]!

Reckon I'm gonna blitz through it.

Flex Your Head

Can NSCers recommend any similar Scandinavian crime fiction? - there seem to be plenty of authors to choose from - I am about to start a Camilla Lackberg but notice that Jo Nesbo and Liza Marklund seem to get mentioned a fair bit.

Funnily enough, we just watched the Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest last night; excellent, as were the two previous films.
I have mixed feelings about the American remakes, but I think it's mainly just my irritation that so many people refuse to watch anything with subtitles.

Anyway, all of the Jo Nesbo books are excellent, and I'd recommend Henning Mankell's 'Wallander' books too. BBC4 shows the Swedish originals of the Wallander TV series which are better than the Kenneth Branagh versions, although they're pretty good too.

The very best Scandanavian crime / thriller that I've enjoyed though is The Killing and The Killing 2 from Denmark both of which were shown on BBC4. The first series in particular, which covers a single murder over 20 one hour episodes, is one of the finest pieces of television I've ever seen. It really did have everything; a brilliant plot, outstanding acting, genuine emotion throughout, and the desperate feeling that the next episode couldn't come quickly enough.
Probably the best TV series since Twin Peaks.

The-Killing.jpg

I developed a bit of a crush on Sophie Gråbøl who plays the main character, Sarah Lund.

SG.jpg

*swoon*

An American version was produced earlier this year and shown on Channel 4, but I just couldn't be bothered with it as there was no way it could ever be as fantastic as the original.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here