Big Change is A Coming

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Now Slade can plan for future
9:40am Wednesday 6th May 2009

Comments (0) Have your say »

By Andy Naylor »

Russell Slade has swapped a fireman’s helmet for a hard hat.

Up until last Saturday Slade had, for the past eight weeks, been the footballing equivalent of Red Adair.

Now, with League One survival secured and a new two-year contract agreed, Albion’s temporary-turned- permanent manager becomes Bob the Builder.

Can he fix it? Yes he can but the right foundations have to be in place before the club can reach their promised land, which, in the current circumstances, is the Championship and not the Premier League.

Slade made that abundantly clear yesterday, his first as the bonafide boss, before heading west for a family holiday in Cornwall while his players fly off to sunnier climes.

A kick in the Balearics awaits, you suspect, a sizeable portion of the out-of-contract majority when they return.

Slade said: “The season is over 46 games and, although we finished with a little bit of a flourish, clearly there is a degree of under-achievement that needs to be addressed.

“I will want to bring in some players, there is no doubt about that. I’ve indentified some, although I perhaps won’t be able to get them all here for one reason or another.

“There will be a list of targets that I will go and track down and within the next week there will be players leaving the club. That is the nature of the industry and that is what will have to happen.

“I think this is the first day of rebuilding. There are a lot of things I have been able to observe in the eight weeks I have been here that need defining so that we are professional in our structure and in our organisation. I think that’s important.”

Change will not be confined to a major revamp of the playing staff. The backroom staff, although remaining in place, will have redefined roles.

The structure for the treatment and preparation of players will also be overhauled following the retirement of long-serving physiotherapist Malcolm Stuart.

Slade said: “The medical department will probably see the biggest change. That has got to be looked at quite clearly.

“It might well be that we have two physios to deal with the first team and the reserves and anything else we need.

“I think there has to be a separate fitness and conditioning department, rather than personnel sort of having a dabble at different roles. That needs defining and needs to be done properly. I am a great believer that if you do something you have got to do it properly.

“The technical side of the football club – the analysing, the information that we get – needs absolute definition and what we can do within our financial constraints.

“I am looking at all that, the complete structure, objectively. Dean (assistant manager Dean White) and Bob (reserve team manager Bob Booker) will work within that structure.

“It’s okay saying you want to be a Championship club but you have to have a structure and gear up for that – it doesn’t just happen.

“That’s massively on my agenda, to prepare the club from a staffing point of view and off-the-field as well as on the field.

“Clearly I know it is all about results and it’s about players but your infra-structure has to be right if you are going to be successful at it.

“I think reasonable funds are going to be made available to help me give the club greater direction and we will use that money wisely, on and off the field.”

Looks like Russell has made the board realise the only way to become a Championship Club is by acting like it and investing in the whole structure. Or would this have happened anyway? Bet Yeovil, Grimbsy etc did not give him this kind of chance! He must be loving it!!!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Just when I think I can't admire him, love him, worship him any further, he comes out with some more cracking soundbytes and shows he really means business. Obviously that should be expected from a manager, but he seems to take pride and passion in his work to a whole new level.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Slade’s interviews are very encouraging and he seems genuinely excited about taken the reigns and taken the club forward.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Interesting. There's quite a lot of implied criticism of how things have been - not of the players but of the set-up.

I'm sure there's no single way of organising a club - but I'm encouraged that he has a clear vision that sounds ambitious, and that the board must have said they were behind it, in order to have offered him the job.

Lead on, Russell!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
These are the sort of comments you want to hear... we're right behind you Russell... deliver the goods mate! :albion2:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Some top drawer comments there, surely slade is the man that we need to take us to Falmer turning us from a potential Yo-yo club to an established Championship side.

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
Wow, he's made it clear that he means business. Booker and White staying at the club.. a good thing or a bad thing?? I'd get rid of Booker. We are now seeing another side of Mr Slade but would suggest that if things are done as he wants them to be then the Mr Nice Guy side of him will continue. I just hope that the players realise who's in charge. I'm sure that if he makes a mistake he will admit it and seek advice when needed.
Looking forward to a great season ahead

Sir Sarcy

Hip-Hopopotamus
Jul 10, 2003
The Field
I think i may love Russel Slade, if you look at this post Russel then PM me and ill tell you where i live with my now former girlfriend and you can come and move in and everything in the world will be right again!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Wow, he's made it clear that he means business. Booker and White staying at the club.. a good thing or a bad thing?? I'd get rid of Booker. We are now seeing another side of Mr Slade but would suggest that if things are done as he wants them to be then the Mr Nice Guy side of him will continue. I just hope that the players realise who's in charge. I'm sure that if he makes a mistake he will admit it and seek advice when needed.
Looking forward to a great season ahead

Change will not be confined to a major revamp of the playing staff. The backroom staff, although remaining in place, will have redefined roles.

I read it that White will move to catering on match days and Booker will be cleaning kit after training and matches

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I think i may love Russel Slade, if you look at this post Russel then PM me and ill tell you where i live with my now former girlfriend and you can come and move in and everything in the world will be right again!

I fear Russell may be attending a lot of civil ceremonies on the Withdean pitch over the summer! Not sure if it would be classed as bigamy for him to join in civil union with more than one Albion fan but I'm sure this minor detail could be overlooked.
:falmer:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I read it that White will move to catering on match days and Booker will be cleaning kit after training and matches

methinks you could not have spoken truer words mate offer them jobs that they won't want to take and then ta-ta,I am sure he will want his own backroom staff and make it a clean start

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
methinks you could not have spoken truer words mate offer them jobs that they won't want to take and then ta-ta,I am sure he will want his own backroom staff and make it a clean start

Because you KNOW just what he wants :wozza:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
maybe now we wont have hundreds of players getting injured in a season and a load of retirements

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Very very encouraging comments. It's good to have a man with a vision in charge of the club again.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
That all sounds so well thought out. I can see that he has put a lot of though into how he thinks a club should be set-up and is going to put that in place. I cannot wait for things to start happining and new faces to come in.

Long live King Slade

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here