Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Big Alex Dawson taking the piss - love this pic

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
According to Wiki, he scored in the 1964 Cup Final for Preston, and was the last person to score a hat trick in an FA Cup Semi Final when he scored for Man Utd in 1958 (which would have been a couple of months after the Munich disaster.

I know I didn't appreciate what a well known and quality player he had been before he arrived at the Goldstone.

Scored 26 in 57 games for us, and was the first number nine I saw for the Albion back in 1969. For years after I always compared our number nines to Alex Dawson and I don't remember many being quite like him.

He is one, from a very long list of ex players, who I would love to see honoured at the Amex

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
League cup 1st round 1969

blimey feels like yesterday funny the things that you remember 40+years since but can not remember the date it happened

thanks Questions

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I've got quite a lot of colour pics from that era.

Plus, a bit earlier, a vid of fulham beating Brighton 3-1 in late 1950s or early 1960s...

Freddie, do you still not have sound on your computer? I'd happily get you some speakers if that's all you need to have sound to view some of the classic videos I've posted over the years...

Through the great NSC classified and mimime I now have a'good as new' 'pooter and yes it does have sound so I'll be checking out your site. Great idea for a dull Sunday!

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
The League Cup run 1969/70 Wolves 3rd round having beaten Pompey and Birmingham. Great floodlit Goldstone games , great memories

Attachments

• img672.jpg
    img672.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 189
  • img671.jpg
    img671.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 172
  • img670.jpg
    img670.jpg
    910.4 KB · Views: 164
  • img673.jpg
    img673.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 162
  • img674.jpg
    img674.jpg
    725.3 KB · Views: 160

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
2 more.

Attachments

• img675.jpg
    img675.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 162
  • img676.jpg
    img676.jpg
    615.7 KB · Views: 165

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
rocker959, you are amazing!

You've inspired me to post another Albion colour shot from that era.... enjoy. Any help with the line-up appreciated.

Attachments

• PA-4611972.jpg
    PA-4611972.jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 140

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Names from previous team pic

Attachments

• img673.jpg
    img673.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 149

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I am probably somewhere in most of those b&w pics. Notice the letters on the perimeter wall in the first one. Anyone else remember the old chap who used to come round in the second half and paint in the half time scores with whitewash. Letters had a key in the programme eg A = Aldershot v Chesterfield etc.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Another great pic rapper

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
rocker959, you are amazing!

You've inspired me to post another Albion colour shot from that era.... enjoy. Any help with the line-up appreciated.

Powney, Gall, Dalton Napier J, upton ?, Turner, Wilkinson ?, Sidebottom, Henderson, Smith, ?, Lawton, Dawson, Napier K, Spearritt

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Upton = Gilliver, Wilkinson & Smith confirmed.

Great pics and a great LC run. My 1st over 30k crowd and I was on the east as couldn't get my usual infron of west. Note the toilet roll streamers thrown from the North.

We twice led but Wolves ran out 3-2 winners.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I do believe that the humbled keeper is the young Phil Parkes of Walsall,, who went on to play at the top with QPR, Ipswich England and others.

Parkes was brilliant and had somehow thwarted Dawson where many experinced keepers had failed. Then along came this goal and Alex went from brute to cute, hooking that ball in with a backheel.

Classic pic, should find a place for that at Amex for sure.

If that's Phil parkes thats the first time Ive seen him without long flowing locks.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Upton = Gilliver, Wilkinson & Smith confirmed.

Great pics and a great LC run. My 1st over 30k crowd and I was on the east as couldn't get my usual infron of west. Note the toilet roll streamers thrown from the North.

We twice led but Wolves ran out 3-2 winners.

My first evening game. I'll always remember the excitement of arriving at the Goldstone with the floodlights on and the crush of the crowd. Fantastic game too. Long wait for a bus afterwards so I got back really late for a school night but still could hardly sleep with the buzz I got from that game. One of my most vivid memories from my childhood.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Dave Armstrong

Dave Armstrong between Smith & Lawton.

Whatever happened to him?
When I started going to BHA I remember him being a very exciting and fast player, nicknamed "The flyer" I believe.

My dad says he was rubbish, so what do i know.

However, it would be good to know if he played for anyone else, or what he is doing now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here