Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BHAFC in double nomination for 10 worst away ends - Do you agree?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Some missing though

Abbey Stadium seemed like a slum - narrow terracing, appalling view and toilets that would have been condemned in Calcutta - how did that escape the list?

Fellows Park seemed to have a Siberian blast coming in all directions

Burnden Park had a big chunk of the pitch hidden by a supermarket

Abbey Stadium would definitely top my list - although Withdean was shocking too

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I always thought Colchester's old away end was pretty bad being lower than pitch.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
The old Bolton ground Burnden Park away end was a bit special. You couldn't see half of the pitch from one side. f***ing hilariously bad! I also remember a pub outside there which once had a notice in the window saying "No away fans under any circumstances whatsoever. EVER".

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The only point I would disagree with is his description of the away pen in the East at the Goldstone being tiny - it held a good 3000.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The only point I would disagree with is his description of the away pen in the East at the Goldstone being tiny - it held a good 3000.

Agreed, it was pretty big. Though the floodlight pylon took up a fair bit of space too!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Was the away end at the goldstone always the south east corner. I'm sure I remember when i first went (late 80's) that I stood there(on my milk crate) while the away fans had the north east. Have I imagined that ?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Was the away end at the goldstone always the south east corner. I'm sure I remember when i first went (late 80's) that I stood there(on my milk crate) while the away fans had the north east. Have I imagined that ?

No you haven't. They always had the North East (and the North in Spurs case!) until it was condemned.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Don't know, I've never been in the away end.

The away end at the Goldstone shifted though. What ended up as the away end was where I stood when I first started going to the Albion. I'm sure that lots of Albion fans who went to the Albion in the 50s, 60s and 70s will have stood in the away end.

I've also been in the away end at Withdean. It was the entrance they used for the Chelsea Youth Cup tie that attracted the 5,000 crowd. I watched about 20 minutes of the game from there before moving to the South Stand. That was enough to convince me what a bum deal away fans were getting.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The away end at the Goldstone shifted though. What ended up as the away end was where I stood when I first started going to the Albion. I'm sure that lots of Albion fans who went to the Albion in the 50s, 60s and 70s will have stood in the away end.

I've also been in the away end at Withdean. It was the entrance they used for the Chelsea Youth Cup tie that attracted the 5,000 crowd. I watched about 20 minutes of the game from there before moving to the South Stand. That was enough to convince me what a bum deal away fans were getting.
The away end when I went to the Goldstone was generally the north east corner, I never went in there.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The away end when I went to the Goldstone was generally the north east corner, I never went in there.

Yes, but that wasn't the away end in the 60s when I first started going as that's where I used to stand.

Mind you, I can't remember where the away end was then. South stand?

RickofBHAFC

Jul 27, 2004
Who would you say then bigtom?

I certainly remember Bournemouth being a bit shabby and a feeling that I was in a trough, with an extremely low view. It was difficult to make out what was going on. Admittedly I was only 10 at the time.

Never forget going to Bournemouth back in the '90s and going to the gents toilets at half-time, went into a cubicle and there was a large rat in the toilet which had got stuck half-way round the u-bend with it's head emerging into the open pan and then drowned! Nice! :eek: :sick:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Withdean was shocking for away supporters. I will happily buy a pint for any away fan who shows me proof they have endured its misery. Well the first few anyway, the I'll be skint.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
...anyone remember the stand to the right of Northampton old county ground. You could only see one goal

HoveHorace

Premiership please !
Jan 20, 2011
Hove
...anyone remember the stand to the right of Northampton old county ground. You could only see one goal

Yep - whole ground was weird. They had a tiny wooden portable terrace ruining the length of the pitch. It only had about ten steps and no back to it - if you turned around you looked out on a massive deserted cricket field and supporters would have to fetch the ball off it when it was hoofed out of play.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Never been in the away end at Withdean but a Carlisle supporting mate of mine reckoned it was dire
The worst away end I have ever been in was at Orient - it was so badly raked that you couldn't see much past the half way line if you were at the back
Mind you selhurst away when we used to get given the corner with the floodlight in it was a crap view too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here