Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BHA v Saarfend

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Very worrying that we started the game with one upfront at home, and it was no surprise that we looked absolute turd for 60 minutes. Still, we turned it around well. Bas and Robinson MUST start ahead of Revell and Cox next week!

Thought we played 4-1-3-2 myself but Revell dropped so deep at times it left Forster isolated up front. Certainly wasn't 4-5-1, O'Callaghan was given the position between the defence and the other midfielders to get his foot on the ball and pass it out of defence and for that reason we looked a better footballing team today even if we did misfire for the first 60 minutes not helped by O'Callaghan having to go off for 10 minutes to get stitches in the first half and Elphick to get patched up for a similar amount of time early in the second.

Both goals were down to poor defensive errors, I thought Kuipers took his eye off the ball for the first as he seemed to run from one post to another before realising that a grasscutter of a volley managed to elude every leg between the edge of the D and the six yard box and find him hopelessly out off position. For the second Tommy Elphick let the forward get in front of him and he knew he'd made that error.

Substitions were good today and for the first time we seemed to have a bench capable of making changes, Rents and Robinson coming on on the left injected some pace into proceedings and we started to move up a gear before Bas came on and gave their defence no end of problems and even after gifting them a second there was a certain sense we would get something out of it. Don't know if anybody else noticed it but Hammond called Rents over before he took the corner to tell him exactly where he wanted the ball placed for him to run onto.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yep - I saw that, good call by Hammond.

Also, did you see after we went 3-2 up O'Callaghan telling the other players what they needed to do to hold the lead... were he a permanent signing I'd say he might well be captain material.

Great performance 2nd half - and much better fare than anything last season... shame so many of you 'couldn't make it' today.

Papa

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The concensus is that we were playing 4-1-4-1 but it could simply be that Revell kept drifting out wide and it was in fact a 4-1-3-2 but I'd go for the first theory and say that it was an experiment that went wrong.

I thought we had a midfield for the first time in ages today, and although he didn't catch the eye (or elbow) as much as O'Callaghan, Martot looked class as well today, even if his runs weren't rewarded with the pass they deserved at times.

Papa

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Just one question and one question only, why the f*** did we play 4-1-4-1 at home?!

Don't think we did. Thought it was 4-1-3-2 myself and the two periods we played with 10 men we were playing 4-3-2 which wouldn't have happened if we were playing your formation. What I think happened was Revell kept dropping very deep sometimes to track their backs which then left Forster isolated when we counter attacked.

Even when were misfiring early on I thought we had something about us and our passing looked a lot better in patches. The other thing I noticed was how many of our moves broke down with El-Abd, O'Callaghan would pass it square and El-Abd would just whack it down the line, think that area will improve when Whing returns.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I can't see how it was 4-1-3-2, Revell was definitely playing on the right in the first half. Looked very much like 4-1-4-1 to me. I think I see what we were trying to do, get O'Callaghan on the ball and dictating the game... it didn't work though. Revell is wasted wide, Forster was islated, Cox had another average game (and another booking, 4 already! :eek: ), Hammond was quiet. Looked much better with the 4-4-2, although it was only when Robinson and Savage were introduced we started to really look like scoring. Hopefully 4-4-2 from the start against Millwall, and Savage must start.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Must confess it looked like 4-5-1 to me, certainly Revell was playing on the right wing.

At the end of the day we won and I am sure the two Deans know more about the players they have so a good day in the office!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here