Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best/worst cover versions of a song

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Large One said:
Worst - Beachy Boys version of 'Seasons in the Sun'. Awful. Painfully awful.

Or indeed, Terry Jacks' Seasons in the Sun - another piss-poor cover.

Perhaps it's like Tide is High where cover versions get progressively worse: Blondie's was poor but Atomic Kitten's was even worse.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Best: "Behind blue eyes" Limp bizkit
"Mad world" Gary Jules

I llike the origanls to both as these as well

Too many bad ones.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
La Mer by Cliff Richard is excruciating and embarassing in comparison to Charles Trenton's original

The cover of Handbags and Gladrags by Rod Stewart is ok and I have real trouble telling the difference between that and the Stereophonics version.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Gwylan said:
Or indeed, Terry Jacks' Seasons in the Sun - another piss-poor cover.

Blink 182's version of Seasons in the Sun was is very good.

Brown Eyed Girl - Jimmy Eat World
Stand By Me - NOFX

are both brilliant cover songs.

I HATE Busted's versions of Build Me Up Buttercup and Teenage Kicks :nono:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Icy Gull said:
La Mer by Cliff Richard is excruciating and embarassing in comparison to Charles Trenton's original

The cover of Handbags and Gladrags by Rod Stewart is ok and I have real trouble telling the difference between that and the Stereophonics version.

Charles TreNET

I think Rod's H&G is OK too. And yes, the Stereophonics is rather too much of a carbon copy.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
My Way by Frank Sinatra so much better than the writer Paul Anka's version...I assume, I don't think I've ever heard the Paul Anka version :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Icy Gull said:
My Way by Frank Sinatra so much better than the writer Paul Anka's version...I assume, I don't think I've ever heard the Paul Anka version :lolol:

PEDANT ALERT. Anka only wrote the English lyrics. The orginal song was by Claude Francois and someone else.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Gwylan said:
PEDANT ALERT. Anka only wrote the English lyrics. The orginal song was by Claude Francois and someone else.

I never knew that, something new learnt everyday on NSC :)

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Fourteenth Eye said:
Therapy? covers of Joy Division's Diane & Isolation are both tip top

Dogs D'Amours version of All or nothing is damn fine also

Husker Du did Diane, not Joy Division

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I had the misfortune to hear Michael Ball murder Rainbow's 'Since You've Been Gone'.

PS Am i right in thinking that Ritchie Blackmore has appeared or is shortly to appear in Brighton for a gig? Of course he's gone a bit weird and its all medieval minstrel cack as opposed to anything as glorious as Rainbow or Deep Purple.

Superfreds Mullet

Where's Nogbad?
Mar 6, 2007
Walking on the Moon
Best - Delilah by the Sensational Alex Harvey Band-I saw them perform this live many times-very theatrical and the fun comes out in their version.

Worst - Any cover by Westlife especially Seasons in the Sun and I thought the original was pretty bad in the first place!!:down:

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Icy Gull said:

But then again, the Sex Pistols version is much better than the Sinatra version.

What about These Boots are made for walking? Jessica Simpsons version is much better than Nacy Sinatra's version.

Marilyn Mansons version of Sweet Dreams is slightly better than the Eurythmics.

in relation to that DUB SIDE OF THE MOON, i really enjoyed that RADIODREAD ok computer, liked BELLE & SEBASTIANS version of The Smiths classic REEL AROUND THE FOUNTAIN, almost everything by THE HAPPY MONDAYS is a cover version but i 'kin love 'em, Hated THIS TOWN AINT BIG ENOUGH by SIOUXSIE

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Three very diiferent efforts but all very good in their own ways:-

Muse: Feeling Good (roll on June 16th!)

Marylyn Manson: Personal Jesus

Frattellis: Oh La La (in the style of T-Rex)

On the minus side -

1. Westlife

2. Any cover that doesn't try to bring anything new to the party (e.g. 1 above)

3. Bland covers (e.g. 1 above)

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Buzzer said:
more bestest:

Alone Again or - Calexico

Have see them play that twice live. Hair standing on back of neck time, what with the mariachi tumpets and all. Almost makes up for never having seen Arthur Lee live. Not that I've seen him dead either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here