Votes: 4 23.5%
  • town v town

Votes: 13 76.5%

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What is the best type of rivallry? Inter city (Everton/Liverpool, City/Utd) or town v town (Brighton/scum, Soton/blue shite, Oxford/Swindon)

I always think inter-city rivals are a bit snobbish because they insist town v town cannot be as intense because you're not in each other's faces at work etc in the same numbers. But I prefer town v town rivallries because we get to abuse other shitholes like Croydon & Pompey whilst revelling in the vast superiority of the vibrant city by the sea. We can enjoy a civic pride whereas Bristol City fans can hardly call Rovers fans Bristolian pikies or talk about them living in slums.

So what's it to be. Would you rather Palace were another club in Brighton meaning that we rubbed shoulders with their unwashed fans day to day to intensify the banter? Or are you happy keeping a safe distance from them?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Close call. I agree that rivalries between two towns/cities open up all sorts of possibilities that aren't there for clubs from the same place, Liverpool/United being the classic example. It goes to the heart of a century of struggle to be the top dog in the north-west.

But equally for your Arsenal v Spurs, you live/work with the other lot all the time and can't avoid each other, so it's bound to be a huge deal.

I prefer the first, mainly because the Brighton/Croydon argument is such an easy one to win.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think there is any big difference between the two, they can both be equally as passionate and fierce.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
town v town - i know of no other rivalry

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
braders7 said:
town v town - i know of no other rivalry

What about the rivalrey you have with your shoes as you fight to put them on in the morning?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
looney said:
What about the rivalrey you have with your shoes as you fight to put them on in the morning?

There's no love lost between braders and the zip on his cardigan either.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Yea must be fun watching him squirt tooth paste on his shoes then polish his teeth.:lolol:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
perth seagull said:
I don't think there is any big difference between the two, they can both be equally as passionate and fierce.

Yep spot on, its the circumstance not the situation !!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oh leave the poor boy alone! He makes a valid point, 'town v town' for me too as like braders I know of no other. And the thought of constantly running into Palace or Popmpey fans on a daily basis is frankly unsettling.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not having a go at Braders for his opinions, i'm just having a go.............:lolol:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Simster said:
What is the best type of rivallry? Inter city (Everton/Liverpool, City/Utd) or town v town (Brighton/scum, Soton/blue shite, Oxford/Swindon)

Does inter city rivalry really exist anymore?

That recent survey showed that Liverpool hate Man U not Everton, and Man U hate Liverpool or Arsenal not Man City.

Sheffield, Nottingham etc are the same.

bald eagle

Feb 5, 2004
Tooting Gull said:
I prefer the first, mainly because the Brighton/Croydon argument is such an easy one to win.

That may be the case and a lot of palace would probably agree with you, but in terms of football there could only be one winner.
I'll say that again and again and again and again and again. (five times in all:p )

Lord Bracknell said:
Lower level stuff, I know ... But what's it like between Eastbourne Borough, Eastbourne Town and Eastbourne United?

UNITED!! UNITED!! The original aristocrats of football in Eastbourne. :)

Good thread. Like Braders says, I have no experience of inter city rivalry but imagine it can get pretty intense. If you're working and drinking with your rivals everyday then certainly on a personal level the tension will be at closer quarters. Although you can't slate where the other people live (unless it's another part of the city - e.g. Burslem) there are bound to be plenty of other things you can pick on.

Town versus town rivalries only really surface immediately before and after a derby match. You can imagine Stoke/Vale, Spurs/Arsenal or Rangers/Celtic fans fighting it out on a regular basis all year 'round.

Inter city rivalries for me (although shouldn't it be 'inner' city?).

Last edited:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Re: Re: Best type of rivallry

fatboy said:

ever been to Glasgow :jester:

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Re: Re: Best type of rivallry

fatboy said:

That recent survey showed that Liverpool hate Man U not Everton, and Man U hate Liverpool or Arsenal not Man City.

Sheffield, Nottingham etc are the same.

That depends on the relative strength of the teams. If you asked Man City fans who their greatest rivals were they'd say Man U, but that may not be the case the other way round, since Liverpool have had comparable success to Man U and are still local enough to be treated as rivals.

That said, some rivalries are strong enough for none of that to be relevant. Newcastle fans would still hate the mackems, even if they were relegated to the Northern Football Alliance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here