Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best positon for an away end?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Have we got it right putting it behind the goal like Brentford etc or have Walsall and Notts County to name but two got it right sticking away fans in a side stand down by the corner flag?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Not sure it actually makes much difference myself but I know a lot of people think it should be home fans behind both goals, a lá Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal etc Not working for Aston Villa this year though!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Walsall away end is behind the goal but with overflow to the side if they sell out. Behind the goal (or at least slightly to one side) is always the best view IMO if you can't sit on the halfway.

A lot of premiership clubs seem to use one side/corner of the end stand with an unoccupied buffer zone close to or behind the goal. I think that is what we will do when away fans' take-up is low as it releases more seats for home supporters.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think some people see shooting towards your own fans as an advantage especially during pens etc but I don't think it makes one iota of difference

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Don't think it matters personally, wherever away fans are sat/stood they'll be heard as loud as they would anywhere else in the ground (providing there's a roof). Not as if fans will refuse to sing if they are pitch-side (say Orient), instead of behind the goal.
Most of it revolves around the size of the stands/ground i would have thought. For United, it's silly to give away a whole end behind the goal (probably 10k plus), when they can shove fans up in the top tier in a segregated area, similar with all the other large grounds.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think some people see shooting towards your own fans as an advantage especially during pens etc but I don't think it makes one iota of difference

Totally disagree.

There are 90 minutes on the clock, you're losing 1-0 and have a corner, every player is up for it. The whole stand is roaring, willing the team on, intimidating the opposition, almost sucking the ball into the net. If you're an opposition goalkeeper / defender, would you rather this or would you rather have your own fans behind you? If you are a striker would you rather this or have the opposition fans in front of you.

I'm sure it makes a difference.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Totally disagree.

There are 90 minutes on the clock, you're losing 1-0 and have a corner, every player is up for it. The whole stand is roaring, willing the team on, intimidating the opposition, almost sucking the ball into the net. If you're an opposition goalkeeper / defender, would you rather this or would you rather have your own fans behind you? If you are a striker would you rather this or have the opposition fans in front of you.

I'm sure it makes a difference.

Yeah but imo the crowd can inspire the team and roar them on anywhere in the stadium. They don't have to be right behind the goal...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yeah but imo the crowd can inspire the team and roar them on anywhere in the stadium. They don't have to be right behind the goal...

True, but if they are tucked away in the upper tier half way along the sideline then they aren't going to be as loud or encouraging / intimidating as right behind the goal.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Tend to agree with the Commander that fans baying behind the goal must be 'slightly' intimidating for a goalkeeper and yes that could even work against us if it happens to be our GK in front of the opposition fans.

Suppose it is a logistical problem for BHAFC as in where else do we conveniently place 10% of the crowd given the concourses and away team lighting colours etc.

Best

Al

Smithy24

Sep 1, 2009

After Watford this season, Gus said that the players were desperate to score at the end we were in during the second half...and you could see that extra bit of effort they were putting in. Imo I think it must make a difference?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I think like at Old Trafford, hidden away in the upper tiers somewhere that they cant be heard. You want home fans behind each goal really.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Tend to agree with the Commander that fans baying behind the goal must be 'slightly' intimidating for a goalkeeper and yes that could even work against us if it happens to be our GK in front of the opposition fans.

Suppose it is a logistical problem for BHAFC as in where else do we conveniently place 10% of the crowd given the concourses and away team lighting colours etc.

Best

Al

Anyone in the tent in the away end at Bristol Rovers this season? The one-way "conversation" between our fans and their goalkeeper about going out with him and holding his hand etc etc......? Absolutely hilarious and if it didn't put him off exactly it can't have helped his concentration. :)

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I think its a good idea to give the away team an end. Yes it will make them more vocal, but it
should create a good atmosphere and a bit more banter.

Brighton is a great place to visit for a weekend, I see no reason why not make their visit even
more appealing. I'm fed up of only 149 away fans, 100 metres aways from the action. 2500 behind
the goal making an din is much more appealing, its up to us to make more noise.

Can't wait

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here