Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best player to play against the Albion in Brighton

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Following yesterday, some feel that was Brighton's biggest game for a long time, even though Man City, Newcastle, Sunderland and Liverpool have all visited in recent years.

So I was wondering, who were the best teams or players to play against Brighton at the Goldstone/Withdean/Amex in your opinion?

Luis Suarez for me. Only going on the games I have seen. Man City didn't play a full strength side when they payed us at the withdean.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I couldn't believe it when we signed Mortimer for a season, European cup and Championship winning captain, although coming to the end of his career. Would be almost the same as us signing Lampard in the summer. And the season before we had Frank Worthington, who would be the modern day version of that signing....Berbatov???
Only problem being their legs had gone. Wothington just oozed class even when almost static.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I haven't forgotten that! Remember Gary Hooper taking us apart there too, for Scunthorpe. The first match which made us wonder whether Hawkins might not be as good as his early form suggested...

I would say the best player I have seen us come up against... I'll go Steven Gerrard. He was just returning from injury, but you could see he was a long way ahead of everyone else on the pitch. Maxi Rodriguez was pretty handy that day too, amd Bellamy although he was cack for Cardiff against us this season.

Did you go to the Anfield FAC game? Back to full fitness, he was imperious.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'll go with that; Ray Kennedy scored a superb 4th for them, Kenny Dalgleish spent most of the game moaning at the ref mind! Best player I saw at the Goldstone was Bobby Charlton - way past his bet mind.

Helped Preston to a 4-0 win that day if memory serves me right.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
It was the Friday night before the Grand National in 1985, and it was for me one of the best goalkeeping displays I've seen, he simply stopped a rout.

If memory serves me right we scored one right at the and with a penalty

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Way too many to answer that question

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Ossie Ardilas for Spurs, I think it was 81 at the Goldstone in a midweek game , awesome display

That was quite some team, I do think for me it would be a toss up between Ossie and Kenny Dalgliesh. But we have seen so many top top players, it is very difficult to choose just one.

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
Kompany played against us at the Withdean, much better now but he was certainly a good defender then. Not a competitive match however i found Bale impressive against us in the stadium opening match.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Yes, Sol Campbell was amazing that night but stand out for me was Bobby Charlton. He was PNE's player manager in about 1974. Fantastic to see him grace The Goldstone - he ran the show and they stuffed us 4-0 (I think). James Milner as a kid on loan to Swindon tore us to shreds at Withdean. He didn't turn out bad but I thought he was going to be better. Liam Bridcutt in the youth game for Chelsea - didn't notice any of them.

Preston NE: Gary Williams stood out for them. But I failed to spot Mark Lawrenson on the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here