Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best player to play against the Albion in Brighton

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I would say either Liam Brady in our first game in Div 1 or Gary Lineker in a testimonial I never realised how quick he was over 5 yds. For us was Dennis Mortimrer ex Villa he oozed class.

I couldn't believe it when we signed Mortimer for a season, European cup and Championship winning captain, although coming to the end of his career. Would be almost the same as us signing Lampard in the summer. And the season before we had Frank Worthington, who would be the modern day version of that signing....Berbatov???

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Shilton for me, Brady a close second. There's been some superb players down the years especially from 79 to 83.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Young defender:

An unknown 19 year old in Summer 1994? or 1995 friendly at the Goldstone.

Sol Campbell of Spurs. Was MOTM and you see he was bloody good already.

Spurs fans don't appear to like him anymore!

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Young defender:

Yes, Sol Campbell was amazing that night but stand out for me was Bobby Charlton. He was PNE's player manager in about 1974. Fantastic to see him grace The Goldstone - he ran the show and they stuffed us 4-0 (I think). James Milner as a kid on loan to Swindon tore us to shreds at Withdean. He didn't turn out bad but I thought he was going to be better. Liam Bridcutt in the youth game for Chelsea - didn't notice any of them.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Frank Lampard when he was on loan at Swansea City and scored a cracking goal at the Goldstone in the 1995/96 season when he was just 17 on a cold Tuesday night. Knew he was going to become a top player.

Must be the only player in English league football still playing that graced the Goldstone. :(

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Frank Lampard when he was on loan at Swansea City and scored a cracking goal at the Goldstone in the 1995/96 season when he was just 17 on a cold Tuesday night. Knew he was going to become a top player.

Must be the only player in English league football still playing that graced the Goldstone. :(

When we played at Canvey Island in the cup that season me and Pete K were sitting in the stand next to two West Ham fans and we mentioned Lampard junior had played against us a couple of weeks earlier, the Hammers reply is a football quote which will live with me till the day I croak it. " f***ing Lampard he's only at the club because of his Dad, he will never amount to anything!"

Wise words........

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam

Isn't David James playing for Bournemouth??

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I've been watching brighton for 25 years and I can safely say the best player i've seen was Jon Woodgate earlier this season. An absolute masterclass in defending and putting his goalie at ease. Away from home unquestionably Ryan Giggs at Old Trafford in 1993 carling cup game.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Young defender:

Remember that. He looked like a man mountain even then. Very impressive performance.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Dean Ashton tore us apart at the Withdean.

I haven't forgotten that! Remember Gary Hooper taking us apart there too, for Scunthorpe. The first match which made us wonder whether Hawkins might not be as good as his early form suggested...

I would say the best player I have seen us come up against... I'll go Steven Gerrard. He was just returning from injury, but you could see he was a long way ahead of everyone else on the pitch. Maxi Rodriguez was pretty handy that day too, amd Bellamy although he was cack for Cardiff against us this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here