Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best performance of the season last night

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
THIS! Don't worry about Fat Boy, he is always so far up the Club's arse he looks out of their mouth. True fans can look at the bigger picture.

You're going to have to remind me where you fit into this description then, butterfly boy.

There was an interesting debate going on here til you stepped in. You've totally unnecessarily lowered the tone. I wonder why.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I can only presume the opening poster is on a massive wind-up here. We were mind-numbingly tedious last night. Yes, we kept the ball, but only in our own half. And how many shots did Almunia have to make? ONE. For me, it was the worst home performance of the season bar Palace.

Obviously you're baffled by why that "clueless idiot" Poyet is DELIGHTED with last night's performance too?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Enjoyed the match,but the 1 thing that worried me was the 11 corners without any goals resulting.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Oh come off it Alan. I am not a massive Allardyce fan but his team was very organised and we rarely, if ever, looked like breaking through his defence.

That sort of defensive discipline comes from the management.

He had players missing, good players, and he came, set his team out in much the same way we did for seasons under Mark McGhee who was portrayed as some sort of genius for getting us exactly the same sort of defensive, scrappy win as they got last night.

Errr... except for the tiny fact that Allardyce probably has the BEST PLAYING BUDGET IN THE DIVISION. With his players and budget, they should be passing teams off the park. Shame on Allardyce for playing the way he does with the resources at his disposal.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
You're going to have to remind me where you fit into this description then, butterfly boy.

There was an interesting debate going on here til you stepped in. You've totally unnecessarily lowered the tone. I wonder why.

No need to wonder Fat Boy. You just piss me off a lot. Who the f*** do you think you are?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I agree. But there aren't any decent English managers.

You can thank the FA for that.

Alan. You know better than that. FA has feck all to do with producing "decent English managers".

that's all down to the clubs and as the leading clubs are all owned by foreigners who want to operate on a continental / global scale its hardly suprising they go for the best that they can afford.

Most successful amangers of the leadingEnglish football clubs tend to be scottish or (now) French, spanish, Italian.............

And if they can afford to buy Manchester united to start with, they can afford any manager in the world....................................

The FA have gone down the "we must appoint a foreign coach to improve our players and show that we are a global power" route. (the erikkson/capello route) And that hasn't worked.

and the next one will be Redknapp................................................

So it reverted to the usual, "we will appoint the best available Englishman to manage the side" ...... known as the Revie plan (Taylor / Keegan / McLaren) And that hasn't worked either.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Enjoyed the match,but the 1 thing that worried me was the 11 corners without any goals resulting.

How about............. 11 corners without producing a single chance from ONE of them.

MRWHU

Oct 25, 2011
WHU spend 70% of their training time on set pieces. It's going to take something special or a mistake to score from one against us. I thought some of the Brighton set piece deliveries were excellent and they also mixed it up a bit by going short and going round a player. You can't say they didn't try, they were just up against set piece masters. Which is nothing to be proud about from a WHU point of view I can tell you.

The game summed up the difference between the two teams and the two managers. There are pro's and con's to both approach but any football supporter would hope that, in the long run, football will win out.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Alan. You know better than that. FA has feck all to do with producing "decent English managers".

that's all down to the clubs and as the leading clubs are all owned by foreigners who want to operate on a continental / global scale its hardly suprising they go for the best that they can afford.

Most successful amangers of the leadingEnglish football clubs tend to be scottish or (now) French, spanish, Italian.............

And if they can afford to buy Manchester united to start with, they can afford any manager in the world....................................

The FA have gone down the "we must appoint a foreign coach to improve our players and show that we are a global power" route. (the erikkson/capello route) And that hasn't worked.

and the next one will be Redknapp................................................

So it reverted to the usual, "we will appoint the best available Englishman to manage the side" ...... known as the Revie plan (Taylor / Keegan / McLaren) And that hasn't worked either.

The FA has not come up with a sound, coherent blueprint for the future of English football (or rather it has - several times - and been roundly ignored). It doesn't encourage people to go into coaching - how many coaches are there in England compared to, say, Spain, Germany, Italy, France etc?

The 'foreign owners' part has nothing to do with the enhancement of football, and everything to do with power, influence and for want of a better term, dodgy dealings. The FA set its stall out for how it wanted to operate when it got into bed with the notion of the Premier League 20 years ago. That was never about the enhancement of the England national side, irrespective of its claims, and all about power and influence on the world stage - neither of which really exist today.

What value is there in having an English national team manager if they won't have a coherent plan to improve the national team?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
First hour against Blackpool was by far the best we've played at home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here