Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best performance of the season last night

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Easy to keep possession when we're going sideways and backwards. I thought I was at a rugby match half the time. We get in the final third and then don't know what to do, ah yes, give it back to Bridcutt, then Dunk etc etc

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
God forbid! It would be worse than another bloody foreigner getting the job. Mind you, for a manager with so many first choice players out, he did a job on us!

You're not seriously crediting Allardyce with that?

A silly goal, followed by a lesson in bus-parking...

I've got no problem with 'another bloody foreigner' getting the England job. The best 'bloody foreigners' are far better than the best English managers/coaches.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

I've got no problem with 'another bloody foreigner' getting the England job. The best 'bloody foreigners' are far better than the best English managers/coaches.

Oh come off it Alan. I am not a massive Allardyce fan but his team was very organised and we rarely, if ever, looked like breaking through his defence.

That sort of defensive discipline comes from the management.

He had players missing, good players, and he came, set his team out in much the same way we did for seasons under Mark McGhee who was portrayed as some sort of genius for getting us exactly the same sort of defensive, scrappy win as they got last night.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4471941 said:
I thought that our passing was too slow and predictable in the final third and we lacked someone to play some quick, first time passes through the Hammers lines for CMS to run on to. Vicente would have provided this, but without him in the side I feel our other midfielders cannot provide this type of cutting edge.

I agree with this. The final through ball was all too often the wrong one. West Ham were not very good. But they did not have to be as they were leading 1-0.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Oh come off it Alan. I am not a massive Allardyce fan but his team was very organised and we rarely, if ever, looked like breaking through his defence.

He had players missing, good players, and he came, set his team out in much the same way we did for seasons under Mark McGhee who was portrayed as some sort of genius for getting us exactly the same sort of defensive, scrappy win as they got last night.

Yeah, they were organised, but I'd say we contributed to making West Ham look comfortable, principally by refusing to shoot. A few shots here and there, rather than trying to walk the ball in would have made a world of difference - and made West Ham play differently.

Aside from that we got through to the last third, especially down the wings, at times with ease (Jeez, even Painter entertained us with his one 'trick'). We hassled them off the ball, ensured they gave it away a lot and moved the ball quicker than in previous games. However, while Noone (for instance) was awesome in his approach play, he was woeful with his delivery. How many crosses bounced out for a corner? Is that good defending or shite crossing?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yeah, they were organised, but I'd say we contributed to making West Ham look comfortable, principally by refusing to shoot. A few shots here and there, rather than trying to walk the ball in would have made a world of difference - and made West Ham play differently.

Aside from that we got through to the last third, especially down the wings, at times with ease (Jeez, even Painter entertained us with his one 'trick'). We hassled them off the ball, ensured they gave it away a lot and moved the ball quicker than in previous games. However, while Noone (for instance) was awesome in his approach play, he was woeful with his delivery. How many crosses bounced out for a corner? Is that good defending or shite crossing?

Agree to an extent. Our final ball was poor. But I felt we were too often ponderous in possession. Need to move the ball sharper. Movement, Mackail-Smith aside was fairly poor as well - which let West Ham pack certain areas knowing we would not pass through them.

I do think at times we look like someone playing Pro Evo. Pass it round, get it to the quickest player (Noone) and then try and dribble round everyone.

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield

I'd say we mainly refused to shoot because we were on the edge of the area at best - while it was frustrating to watch, it would take a very good effort from there to beat a keeper of Almunia's standing. You have to give West Ham credit for not allowing to carve them open in the danger area of inside the box and restricting anything that you could call a real goal scoring opportunity, which all comes from defensive discipline which in turn comes from the manager

You may not like Allardyce and the way he goes about the game, but there is denying that he makes it work

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

With foreigners managing our national team, we should hang our head in shame! I have no problem at club level, but a national team should only be from that country, including the Manager.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

THIS! Don't worry about Fat Boy, he is always so far up the Club's arse he looks out of their mouth. True fans can look at the bigger picture.

As much as I like Noones capacity to run at and beat defenders his final ball last night was woeful. We really didn't get any quality balls into the box to create any clear cut chances. Bit mystified by him being named man of the match ahead of Reyes or Greer - I realise its all about the sponsors preference.
Perhaps the club could look into a text system for fans to decide the man of the match.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'd say we mainly refused to shoot because we were on the edge of the area at best - while it was frustrating to watch, it would take a very good effort from there to beat a keeper of Almunia's standing. You have to give West Ham credit for not allowing to carve them open in the danger area of inside the box and restricting anything that you could call a real goal scoring opportunity, which all comes from defensive discipline which in turn comes from the manager

You may not like Allardyce and the way he goes about the game, but there is denying that he makes it work

Even edge of the area is fine.

If they realise you're about to shoot, it means someone will come to close you down. A small amount of space behind them has therefore been created. Granted it might be a tight squeeze 18 yards out, but 25-30 yards out makes them think again. Who know what will come of it? Deflection for a corner? For an on-rushing forward? For a goal?

If ya didnae shoot, ye cannae score.

Ooops, sorry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here