Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best opposing players you saw this (last) season?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Didn't think Fryatt was all that in either game against us.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I've always been a fan of that Kavanagh chap. Older fella plays in the centre for Carlisle. Seems to keep things running smoothly and without any fuss. I like watching players like him.

Indeed, the guy was quality. Hardly broke sweat & bossed the middle of the park. I was surprised he didn't have a large Cuban on the go, tbh.

Both Delph & Beckford were real class acts too, imo. Can't see them hangin' around if our chums from Yorkshire screw the play-off's up again though. That'd be a terrible shame..

Of the Man City players on view on that magical night, I reckon Steven Ireland was head & shoulders above the rest of their misfiring mob. In fact, he's impressed me every time since then on the occasions I've caught Citeh on the box.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Hooper, Delph, Boyd, and Jason puncheon all looked very good players, Fryatt didnt look all that but obviously has talent. Simon Cox looked poor at Swindon, missed the home game so cant really comment.
I didnt realise Puncheon was at plymouth and only on loan at MK, could be worth seing if we could get him in, him and dicker would set up a great midfield.

Liquidator

Apr 28, 2008
Whilst agreeing with you on the other 5, I have to say that I think Luciano Becchio is a lumbering OAF, whose only attribute is being in the right place at the right time. Not a lot wrong with that, I know, but I don't think he's anywhere near the other 5 in terms of TALENT.

Becchio is a target man, holds the ball up better than most, hardly ever gets pushed off the ball and is a work horse. The perfect foil to Beckford. In the second half of the season Snodgrass has been Leeds best player.

For me though it's George Boyd, massively impresses every time I see him.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
What do you think of him?? I'm obviously only basing my opinion on a limited number of games, but he seems a bit ungainly, no?

he isn't in my top ten or whatever but i think he is pretty decent and does his job very well, he runs and runs and runs some more, wears his heart on his sleeve and as was said above ends up in the right place at the right time, which is what you want from a striker. he is unfortunate (or fortunate?!) that he plays alongside beckford who i think is a a selfish wotsit, if he didn't try to go for glory every time he got the ball becchio i am sure would end up with more than the 18 goals he scored this season. beckford is apparently the 'talent' up front and becchio is the workhorse. i like them both and while we are playing at the right end of the table having them both in the team is a luxury we can afford, if we were fighting at the bottom i'd want becchio over beckford everytime.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Who was the guy on the left for MK Dons? Wore no.8 I think - he was brilliant. One of Peterborough's wide men was excellent, too, but I forget his name.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Jason Puncheon I think was the MK Dons player.

And I suspect you're thinking of George Boyd from Peterborough (he has crap hair and wears an Alice band if that helps). Can't be Aaron McLean, as he always looks complete poo to me. I'll be very surprised if he makes it in the Championship.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What about goalkeepers? I don't rate Clayton Ince for a second, a comedy keeper if ever there was one, but he played brilliantly at Withdean.

Always rated Danny Coyne of Tranmere though, and the Scunny keeper whose name escapes me temporarily.

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
Delph By a mile he is destined for big big big things maybe even bigger then Guy Butters :smokin:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Jason Puncheon, George Boyd, Fabian Delph were the best by far but isnt it ironical that all play on the left side of their respective team although all tend to move across from left to right but when they excelled it was mostly on the left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here