Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Manager since 1999

Best Manager since 1999

• Total voters

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
What has Adams achieved since he left us? What has Coppell? Coppell has done much more than Adams.

What exactly is the question - who has been the best manager for Brighton, or who is the best manager to have managed Brighton? Different questions.

Coppell may have done better at other clubs than Adams has, but did he do as much at Brighton as MA or any others?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
McGhee, Adams, Taylor, Coppell, Wilkins, Booker, Hinsh

Coppells record showed

1st season - got us relegated

Went on holiday to Thailand for 6 weeks leaving Knight in the lurch as to whether he would sign the contract so no real planning for the next season could take place

2nd season - f***ed off after 12 games after the first half decent offer came along

Its a disgrace he is leading this poll.

1st season - very nearly kept us up

2nd season - when he left the club we were in second place in the table, we did go up at the end of that season but needed to rely on the play-offs.

Football is a bit like art, ask two people to describe a piece and they may give totally different descriptions based on their perspective...in my opinion Coppell was an excellent manager.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I voted for Coppell. If he had been our manager at the start of the 2002-03 season, we would have comfortably stayed up in the Championship. He assembled the best Brighton team ever in the post-Goldstone era and despite a twelve game handicap took the fight to the last day of the season.

In his second season, he left with Brighton sitting pretty at the top of the table in League One, if I remember correctly.

Although he was only here for a short time, he showed what skill he had as a manager and it is no surprise he went on to achieve good things with Reading.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
1st season - very nearly kept us up

2nd season - when he left the club we were in second place in the table, we did go up at the end of that season but needed to rely on the play-offs.

We were I think 6 points clear when he left and very definitely top of the table.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
We were I think 6 points clear when he left and very definitely top of the table.

Cheers Icy, I was living in exile at the time and a little out of touch with all things Albion, also my memory is starting to let me down on a regular basis...I just remembered that we were doing rather well with SC as manager.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Mickey adams is miles ahead of the rest with coppell second,how on earth can coppell be top of this poll when adams done all the hard work and built that team that gave us two championships.Lets not forget we where struggling in the bottom division???

Coppell did well but certainlty nowhere near enough to even get near adams:glare:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
coppell

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
A good barometer is to remember just how well Coppell got Kerry Mayo and even Robbie Pethick playing!

Some one asked for numbers so here goes

Adams
Pld 125 Won 57 Drawn 34 Lost 34 Win %45.60

Taylor
Pld38 Won21 Drawn 11 Lost 6 Win% 55.26%

Coppell
Pld 49 Won 18 Drawn 17 Lost 14 Win% 36.73

McGhee
Pld 139 Won 40 Drawn 61 Lost 38 Win% 28.77

Wilkins
Pld 102 Won 39 Drawn 24 Lost 39 Win% 38.23

So that makes it Taylor by a country mile

and strange that the stats make Wilkins a more successful manager than Coppell, when the general concesus of opinion here seems to indicate the opposite (me included)

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
People who voted Coppell just don't have a clue at all.Adams comes first for setting the foundations of the club and bringing silverwear.Thats followed by Mcghee who raked in a few million to help keep the club afloat.He also kept us in the championship.Coppell doesn't come close to these two.If he stayed then things could of been a whole lot different.But it wasn't

larus

People who voted Coppell just don't have a clue at all.Adams comes first for setting the foundations of the club and bringing silverwear.Thats followed by Mcghee who raked in a few million to help keep the club afloat.He also kept us in the championship.Coppell doesn't come close to these two.If he stayed then things could of been a whole lot different.But it wasn't

You need to take into account that Adams had the biggest budget in the bottom league.

Coppell had virtually no budget and a team that had lost 10 games in a row, totally shot of confidence in a league 2 divs higher.

I voted for Coppell. If he had been our manager at the start of the 2002-03 season, we would have comfortably stayed up in the Championship. He assembled the best Brighton team ever in the post-Goldstone era and despite a twelve game handicap took the fight to the last day of the season.

In his second season, he left with Brighton sitting pretty at the top of the table in League One, if I remember correctly.

Although he was only here for a short time, he showed what skill he had as a manager and it is no surprise he went on to achieve good things with Reading.

I think you remember right
His last gamne was the home 3-0 win v Blackpool. interesting quote at the end......

"Albion, minus seven senior pros and with John Piercy making his full home debut on the right in place of ankle victim Gary Hart, did their bit to persuade Coppell to stay instead of joining Reading.

The same could not really be said of the fans. He received a standing ovation from the entire ground when he made his way to the dugout for the second half, but the atmosphere for the most part was morgue-like.

"One supporter very pointedly told me at half time that it's not all about money," Coppell said.

That was unfair, because Coppell is certainly not motivated by pound signs.

When it was suggested to him that the supporter in question was in a minority of one, Coppell's reply was also pointed.

"We are top of the League," he said. "If we were mid-table and had been beaten, would the reaction have been the same?

"Given the evidence I've had since I've been here I would hazard a guess that it wouldn't."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here