Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Manager since 1999

Best Manager since 1999

• Total voters

larus

Coppell - no-one else comes close IMO.

Also, I believe that he stated that he was willing to stay and did not sak to speak to Reading. There was a lot of shit being posted at the time that all Knight wanted was the compensation.

Posts like "He's Scum", just totally make any point you are trying to make irrelevant. Rivalry is one thing, but to dismiss the achievements of someone because of that association is totally pathetic. No doubt I will get "f*** off you complete c unt" posted back now.

Coppell has nearly 2/3 of the votes now - enough said...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The facts are he left for Reading after 12 games into the season after taking 6 weeks to sign the contract in the summer or am I missing something ?.

The fact that he was ALLEGEDLY virtually asked to go by an Albion Director as we needed the compensation would be missing quite a lot imo :lol:

I have no idea how true that actually is but I think it is definitely an NSC FACT

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Coppell is undoubtedly the most tactically astute manager we've had in recent years. He's also achieved much more since he left the club than the other managers. However, Adams made the greatest contribution while he was here. He built a completely new team, ended the losing mentality at this club, gave us back our pride, and effectively won us two Championships - end of story.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Coppell is undoubtedly the most tactically astute manager we've had in recent years. He's also achieved much more since he left the club than the other managers. However, Adams made the greatest contribution while he was here. He built a completely new team, ended the losing mentality at this club, gave us back our pride, and effectively won us two Championships - end of story.

Nail on head.

larus

I would think that Peter Taylor may disagree with some part of that statement, as would a lof of other people. Taylor took the Adams team forward, and strengthened it IMO.

So not "nail on head".

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I would think that Peter Taylor may disagree with some part of that statement, as would a lof of other people. Taylor took the Adams team forward, and strengthened it IMO.

So not "nail on head".

He added one loan player if my memory serves me right, how many votes does Taylor have?

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008

So not "nail on head".

Taylor deserves some credit too. As you say, he took the Adams team forward. It was an almost seamless transition and PT took us over the finishing line. But does this make his contribution as significant as Micky's? Of course not!!

larus

No, I'm not saying that. But the point is that you can't say that Adams won 2 championships.

When he came in, he also had the biggest budget in the league and was 'lucky' to find a gem in Zamora. Zamora was the difference between us and the other teams. Therefore, that I believe needs to be taken in account when assessing the managers.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
No, I'm not saying that. But the point is that you can't say that Adams won 2 championships.

When he came in, he also had the biggest budget in the league and was 'lucky' to find a gem in Zamora. Zamora was the difference between us and the other teams. Therefore, that I believe needs to be taken in account when assessing the managers.

Managers make their own luck to a degree. It takes skill and personal reputation (as well as a cheque book) to attract promising young players - like Zamora. In the vast majority of championship winning sides, there is a striker who gets you 20+ goals, or some other player who makes a massive contribution. IMO, this doesn't detract from the manager's achievements.

BTW, don't forget that many of BZ's goals came from Paul Watson's perfectly taken free-kicks - straight off the training pitch. Many of our clean-sheets came from outstanding performances from players like Kuipers and Cullip, all of whom were virtually unknown before playing for Brighton, and all of whom were brought in by Micky Adams!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
McGhee - no-one else has kept us at that level longer in 16 years

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
The whole point of these posts is frankly irritating. Even if Wilkins was badly treated, the whole point seems to be to say that Micky Adams wasn't the best - i.e. try to undermine him before he's even started.

Some people on here seem to want us to fail so they can then moan about it...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
McGhee - no-one else has kept us at that level longer in 16 years

I would agree with that. It was a crying shame that the board/Blooms were not willing to back him. Goals were not coming as our most potent threats were too busy disrupting things and you can't stay up without goals.

larus

The whole point of these posts is frankly irritating. Even if Wilkins was badly treated, the whole point seems to be to say that Micky Adams wasn't the best - i.e. try to undermine him before he's even started.

Some people on here seem to want us to fail so they can then moan about it...

It's not underminig him at all. It's trying to be realistic. IMO, Coppell is a better manager than Adams. Does it mean that he is? No. Does you saying that he is better then Coppell mean he is? No. It's an opinion. What has Adams achieved since he left us? What has Coppell? Coppell has done much more than Adams.

This is a message board. That's all. What's the point of it if I can't express an opinion.

How about we all have a w*nk-fest over Micky Adams then. Will that keep everyone happy FFS.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I would agree with that. It was a crying shame that the board/Blooms were not willing to back him. Goals were not coming as our most potent threats were too busy disrupting things and you can't stay up without goals.

I see a parallel between the Adams v. McGhee debate, and the one we had 25 years earlier with Mullery v. Bailey. Bailey took us to our highest ever league position and at one point looked likely to take us into Europe. But the football played was frequently mind-numbing (just as it was under McGhee only with better players)! And just like under McGhee, the crowds started falling too, which ultimately led to the manager's departure. Football is no different to any other business really. The customer is king, and for better or for worse, Brighton fans want to watch a successful team playing attractive, attacking football.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I can't believe anyone is voting Coppell. He did precisely f*** ALL with us apart from take us down.

...and he did it with what was Adams team with the exception of a couple of good loan signings. I did warm to him near the end, but my original suspisions were right first time round.... P.A.L.A.C.E Stevie Coppell's got VD.

EDIT : Anyone who went to Selhurst to see the 5-0 should reconsider their post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here