[yt]znjEVqSmUSE[/yt]

and my nomination for best ever

[yt]zbxsmcT7GOk[/yt]

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Paul Rodgers - Free

Yes he now does Mercury doesn't he when required?

For an older generation of crooners etc. there was an English bloke called Michael Holliday who had a voice close to Crosby (Bing- not Dave!) but I think he died young.

He did a song called "The Story of my Life" which I can always remember, it featured whistling as well. A lot of artists then could whistle as well as sing.

And then there was "Whistling Jack Smith"...:whistle:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
As the thread title didn't specify singing or spoken I give you these three gentlemen, all masters of the spoken word,

[yt]OAvmLDkAgAM[/yt]

[yt]lsrOXAY1arg[/yt]

[yt]_zUMzIFpCSg[/yt]

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
There's a few I agree on in this thread, absolutely no chance of me picking one as the best though. Some favourites not mentioned Ken Boothe, Mark Lanegan and Nick Cave. The last two are not necessarily perfect singing voices but that was not the question, that is why the opera singers are not for me, technically great but I don't find them moving which of course is the point. Oh and nearly forgot the mighty Tom Waits.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Must agree with you the vast majority mentioned so far do not come into the same class as him or some 20 others.

Only in his own field, he'd have been a bit Renee and Renata if he'd tried pop or rock music so Pav would have been outclassed by just about anyone in the rock world at rock/pop music. It's all relative innit

I'd be interested to know the other 19 you consider better than Sinatra as well :lolol:

Yes he now does Mercury doesn't he when required?

For an older generation of crooners etc. there was an English bloke called Michael Holliday who had a voice close to Crosby (Bing- not Dave!) but I think he died young.

He did a song called "The Story of my Life" which I can always remember, it featured whistling as well. A lot of artists then could whistle as well as sing.

And then there was "Whistling Jack Smith"...:whistle:

Record producer Noel Walker was supposed to have been the offending whistler, and for the appearance on tv he got a roadie from Unit 4+2 to act the part.
It's one of the silliest cameos in pop history, but somehow said lad carried it off brazenly and without looking too embarrassed - even adding some much needed 'passion' into his performance! :clap:
Methinks there's a certain Clockwork Orange Malcolm McDowell-ish devil-may-care attitude in the lad

[yt]zQQ5sEOhbjQ[/yt]

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Who the frig is driving us to matches? Frank Spencer

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Only in his own field, he'd have been a bit Renee and Renata if he'd tried pop or rock music so Pav would have been outclassed by just about anyone in the rock world at rock/pop music. It's all relative innit

I'd be interested to know the other 19 you consider better than Sinatra as well :lolol:

But the thread was titled "best male Voice".....technically speaking, his tenor voice was as close IMHO to perfection as you can get...Willard White is a technically brilliant Bass voice and although not to everyone's taste David daniels counter tenor voice is incredible

biggles

Feb 21, 2009
There's a few I agree on in this thread, absolutely no chance of me picking one as the best though. Some favourites not mentioned Ken Boothe, Mark Lanegan and Nick Cave. The last two are not necessarily perfect singing voices but that was not the question, that is why the opera singers are not for me, technically great but I don't find them moving which of course is the point. Oh and nearly forgot the mighty Tom Waits.
YouTube - Nick Cave The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
a bit of nick for you pantani

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here