Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Best LIVE band?

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
So hard to choose. Generally prefer small venue gigs to massive ones though me and Mrs Sock had a ball at Carole King's Hyde Park show a few years back, with Don Henley and Michael Kiwanuka in support.
Rock shows: Thin Lizzy at Brighton Dome, Graham Parker & The Rumour at UC Cardiff, Ian Hunter at the Ropetackle, U2 Hammersmith Palais 1982
New wave/punk stuff - late 70s-81 : (mostly Cardiff): The Jam, Boomtown Rats, XTC, 2-Tone tour all excellent
Folky stuff: Lau at the Ropetackle, Bridget St John at Greys in Hanover.
Would have loved to have gone to one of Mrs Sock's favourite gigs: Mott the Hoople supported by Queen somewhere in London, 1973 ...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wow, I'd forgotten about And Also The Trees. Saw them supporting the Cure in the early days.

They are still going. They played their first gig in London for about 20 years in the early noughties. Since then I have seen them numerous times (I think most of them live in France now). They have released several excellent albums in the last 15 years. The last time I saw them was at the Garage in Islington around 4 years ago. It was some sort of anniversary so they ran through all their old albums. It was absolute mint. I must admit I had something in my eye when they did 'Brother Fear'.

And look what I've found....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-MyZTXPujw

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Slightly off-topic (and without trawling back through the whole thread, not sure if anyone’s nominated the Stone Roses), but this recent reply to Ian Brown’s gig conditions made me chuckle.

6306d578dda441ae3b00f34f3d15280a.jpg

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Really not a fan but the Quo gig in our local in '99 was something I'll never forget.

I've always really enjoyed Squeeze gigs, and The Jam goes without saying for intensity.

boik

Venue plays a big part in the gig experience; I've seen a few bands at the Wardour Street Marquee and it's such a good space that they were all pretty good. Probably the best of them was Hanoi Rocks. I also saw them at the Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone not long after and it was decidedly average.
Honourable mentions for The Jam at the Top Rank and Dome and The Clash at Brixton Academy.
In terms of big venues, I've seen a few at the Brighton Centre, O2 etc and none were as good.

Used to spend a lot of time in the Marquee.

Venue makes a huge difference. Bloc Party at C2 was one of the best gigs of my life. Seen them several times since. Saw them at Earls Court which I hated, although having seen film of them playing that gig shows they were on top form, just the venue killed it.

New Order at Kentish town were great, at the Brighton Centre they were just another band in a dull venue.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
It seems that almost by definition people think of the best live band as stadium rockers. I'm much more entertained and excited br small venue performers where you can see what theyre playing and how they're playing it, and their personality comes across.

I would agree but feel it depends on the artist.

For a lot of artists small venues are great, but when you have bands that have incredible production elements a bigger venue is a must.

Ghost are a great example of this, very theatrical performances that are better in a large venue.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
As someone in their early 30s who primarily listens to heavy metal and rock, I might have some different answers than some previously mentioned on the thread so far, but glad to see some bands I love (Maiden, Ghost) already mentioned, but will throw a few more in. Honourable mention for Judas Priest who've been excellent both times I've seen them headlining Bloodstock punk:

Unquestionably, the best live band in the world right now for me are Gojira. Crushingly heavy for the most part, but so much beauty in the way their songs are crafted. They're so tight as a unit and Mario Duplantier is one of the few drummers who justifies having a drum solo during a live set. They've been brilliant for years, but the last two albums have really pushed them into that top tier of metal bands in the live realm. Highly recommend checking out the full headline sets from Hellfest or Po'land Rock Festival in recent years, but I'll stick this from Hellfest in 2016 as a taster of how good they are live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slfICxJTe7Q

Rammstein. Their current stadium show is easily the best stage production and show I've seen from a band ever, and they back it up with the songs too. The top of their stage is taller than the stadiums they are playing, meaning the smoke let off from all the pyro dominates the skyline. Have already seen their current tour/stage show twice in 2019 in Milton Keynes and Prague, have tickets for them in Berlin and Cardiff this year and haven't ruled out combining a trip to the states to watch some NFL with their US tour either. It's that damn good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anVOXCIU3_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqGAokNRFI8

Final one from me is Newport's finest Ragga Metal crew Skindred. I've never completely loved a whole album from them, but they have a greatest hits level live set that's always an absolute party. It helps they have one of the best crowd participation moments in any song with the Newport Helicopter during "Warning". Getting to do the Helicopter again at Bloodstock last year in this video below was one of the most cathartic live experiences of 2021

All of these are great choices. Gojira must have the best live show around and their topics are so relevant today. Can't wait to see them at Ally Pally in a few months. Their show at Red Rocks is absolutely legendary.

Skindred are amazing live and another one of those bands I never listen to, but if they're playing a show nearby I go and see them.

Another I'd throw into the mix which is very out there is Crossfaith. Japanese band who are extremely heavy but throw in electronic elements and are absolutely ridiculous live. Seen them about 8 times including at Concorde 2 and Chalk.

And if we're talking live metal then Amon Amarth are right up there too, really good production, great songs about being a Viking and incredible live performance, especially at Bloodstock when I went.

One of the best live performances is also Jinjer, absolutely mind blowing vocals that catch you off guard, listen up to at least 1:30 for full effect.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Special mentions to the most emotional gig I've been too whilst also being an amazing show.

Architects at Alexandra Palace, playing two songs about their band mate who passed away from cancer and is the brother of the drummer.

Also a band that are based in Brighton

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I don’t get to many gigs these days but the Dome has been my favourite venue since I came to Brighton. Shame it was closed so long for renovations when I used to go to gigs regularly

Agreed.

I saw Everything But The Girl there years ago. Nils Frahm more recently.

Both excellent. The acoustics in there are really nice.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agreed.

I saw Everything But The Girl there years ago. Nils Frahm more recently.

Both excellent. The acoustics in there are really nice.

I'm also a big fan of The Dome, and saw Nils Frahm there too. I've seen the odd rock gig too :wink:
Green Door Store is my other favourite venue, but the two lend themselves to different acts.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm also a big fan of The Dome, and saw Nils Frahm there too. I've seen the odd rock gig too :wink:
Green Door Store is my other favourite venue, but the two lend themselves to different acts.

I saw Binkbeats at Green Door Store, I think. Is that under those arches up near the station?

It wasn't great.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Buzzcocks

I saw The Buzzcocks in 1979 - supported by Joy Division ... 6 months before Ian Curtis passed away.

During The Buzzcocks set Pete Shelley made an announcement to the crowd asking someone to move their car as it was blocking an ambulance from getting to the back of the building ... Ian Curtis wasn't very well!

All of these are great choices. Gojira must have the best live show around and their topics are so relevant today. Can't wait to see them at Ally Pally in a few months. Their show at Red Rocks is absolutely legendary.

Skindred are amazing live and another one of those bands I never listen to, but if they're playing a show nearby I go and see them.

Another I'd throw into the mix which is very out there is Crossfaith. Japanese band who are extremely heavy but throw in electronic elements and are absolutely ridiculous live. Seen them about 8 times including at Concorde 2 and Chalk.

And if we're talking live metal then Amon Amarth are right up there too, really good production, great songs about being a Viking and incredible live performance, especially at Bloodstock when I went.

One of the best live performances is also Jinjer, absolutely mind blowing vocals that catch you off guard, listen up to at least 1:30 for full effect.

Will be going to the Nottingham date of that Gojira tour with a large group of mates. Probably the bill I'm most hyped about this year given how great the support bands are too. Was luck enough to see Alien Weaponry's first UK show at Bloodstock in 2018 and when they packed out The Underworld the following year. They are so good for their age, given they were only 15/16 years old when I first saw them four years ago. Employed To Serve's album was my second favourite album of last year behind the phenomenal Turnstile record, so am eager to see those songs live (and of all those bands are the one I will probably end up in the pit for more than likely).

Those Amon Amarth live performances are great. Annoyed that I had to miss the encore when they headlined the Roundhouse in 2016 as had to leave to make the last train back home, but will be making up for that by finally seeing them again at Wembley Arena in September on the co-headline tour with Machine Head - who I really should have mentioned as well given they're one of my favourite bands. The two "Evening With" three hour sets they played on back-to-back nights at the Roundhouse in 2018 were some of the most fun I've ever had at a gig.

Crossfaith and Jinjer aren't really my bag, but know lots of people who rate them a lot so great shouts. Same with Architects as you mentioned in the second post, but all the respect for them for how they've pushed on since Tom's passing.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Radiohead, South Park, Oxford 2001 has to be the stand out concert for me so far. The first time they played the Kid A/Amnesiac tracks alongside The Bends/OK Computer stuff. Supergrass and Beck were also on the same band list.

Idles at Concorde 2 a couple of years ago was also a great night of live music.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here