Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Best LIVE band?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Damning with faint praise.

Personality as a performer, it's a different thing to his personality on a talk show. Elton John has personality as a performer, but is a bit of a bore on chat shows. I have no idea if Elvis was a nice guy or not, but he had personality on stage.

"Best LIVE band" front man surely has to be a bit more than adequate, and good at chat shows?

Take it up with the OP who said Coldplay is Best LIVE band".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What constitutes a good live band is open to discussion. I saw The Ramones and Motörhead a lot of times over a very long period and I wouldn’t say either band ever “blew me away”, and they obviously got less energetic over time, and neither had virtuoso musicianship etc BUT they both had something quite special and I always got immense enjoyment from watching them. And this enjoyment was right from the first time in my teens until the last. So, definitely file both under “Best LIVE band"

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I’d loved to have seen Bob Marley & The Wailers, a bit before my time.

Bet he had ‘presence’ without screaming to a guitar solo.

I never saw them either. Also before time. He certainly did seem to have a stage presence, from video's I've seen.

I saw Bunny Wailer at Brixton Academy though. That was right up there with one of my favourites.

I should add. If I was forced to go to a rock concert and could travel in a time machine, then you wouldn't necessarily have to drag me kicking a screaming to see Queen perform live in their heyday. I'm not a Queen fan, but for me Freddie Mercury had an amazing voice, and of course the stage presence to go with it. I could imagine that seeing them perform at their peak would be a pretty magical experience.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Iron maiden, non stop energy

Good call. Bruce, Steve and particularly janick never stop. I might be a bit biased though seeing as I've seen them 32 times!

The most surprisingly good gig was a support slot for Metallica at Twickenham back in 2019. Still not a fan of their gimmicky image but musically Ghost were really good.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Take it up with the OP who said Coldplay is Best LIVE band".

I did, and then you replied with an opinion on that, stating that Chris Martin isn't boring and you imagine he would be fun down the pub, and later, that he is adequate as a front man.
Hopefully I have explained that I have no opinion on his compatibility as a drinking partner or his persona on chat shows, and was giving my opinion on his lack of personality on stage.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I never saw them either. Also before time. He certainly did seem to have a stage presence, from video's I've seen.

I saw Bunny Wailer at Brixton Academy though. That was right up there with one of my favourites.

I should add. If I was forced to go to a rock concert and could travel in a time machine, then you wouldn't necessarily have to drag me kicking a screaming to see Queen perform live in their heyday. I'm not a Queen fan, but for me Freddie Mercury had an amazing voice, and of course the stage presence to go with it. I could imagine that seeing them perform at their peak would be a pretty magical experience.

I mentioned Queen earlier.

NOT hard rock or heavy metal. Instead a unique fusion of opera and rock, led by a once in a gen, charismatic vocalist and performer.

In a recent documentary piece about Live Aid, all the stars said they felt inadequate in Mercury’s presence.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Because of my job I get to lots of gigs, and this is totally taste driven.
Might not be the best gig, but I went to see Placebo at the Ctr a couple of years ago and was blown away by them. The music isn’t really my thing, and I rarely stay to the end of shows but they were excellent. As the last song finished and punters started to file out, this heartbeat came over the PA and it was obvious there was more. People turned around and reappeared, and within 60 seconds the room was full again for the encore

I saw Placebo at the Concorde 2 probably 20 years ago, I think a warm up gig for a big arena tour and they were awesome. Another band I'd imagine not hugely popular on here, but I worked a festival where Keane played the main stage to close one of the days, and was in the bit between the band and the crowd. Still get goosebumps remembering a warm, late summer night and looking back over just shy of 100,000 people behind me belting out the words to Somewhere Only We Know. Probably the most energised, unified and up for it crowd of that size I've seen and the band performance magnified it. In the depths of lockdown that memory, even though its quite a few years ago now, became a real nostalgic focus for me of everything that had disappeared for so many people.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What constitutes a good live band is open to discussion. I saw The Ramones and Motörhead a lot of times over a very long period and I wouldn’t say either band ever “blew me away”, and they obviously got less energetic over time, and neither had virtuoso musicianship etc BUT they both had something quite special and I always got immense enjoyment from watching them. And this enjoyment was right from the first time in my teens until the last. So, definitely file both under “Best LIVE band"

I think venue feeds into it too.

I saw Moussa Kouyate and Kevin Brown at Rye Community Hall.

Kevin Brown solo first up. About 50 of us pulled up a chair and sat round as he played his bottle neck slide guitar and regaled of us with stories.

Moussa Kouyate solo next. No words, just heavenly Kora playing that transported you off into a magical world.

Then both playing together to finish. Nether took the stage that was there. They both just sat on chairs and the audience simply gathered round. Cracking evening! More like a small pub gig really.

I also saw The Four Brothers at the same venue. They were up on stage, obviously. I had to pinch myself that I was witnessing The Four Brothers at Rye Community Centre! :lol: I think someone local had some connections, and no doubt they must have been over here and performing at festivals and what not.

I also saw Gil Scott Heron play at The Crypt in Hastings. That was another one where I had to pinch myself that I wasn't imagining it. Gil Scott Heron in a dingy damp basement club in Hastings!? Bizarre, or maybe not really, all things considered.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think venue feeds into it too.

I saw Moussa Kouyate and Kevin Brown at Rye Community Hall.

Kevin Brown solo first up. About 50 of us pulled up a chair and sat round as he played his bottle neck slide guitar and regaled of us with stories.

Moussa Kouyate solo next. No words, just heavenly Kora playing that transported you off into a magical world.

Then both playing together to finish. Nether took the stage that was there. They both just sat on chairs and the audience simply gathered round. Cracking evening! More like a small pub gig really.

I also saw The Four Brothers at the same venue. They were up on stage, obviously. I had to pinch myself that I was witnessing The Four Brothers at Rye Community Centre! :lol: I think someone local had some connections, and no doubt they must have been over here and performing at festivals and what not.

I also saw Gil Scott Heron play at The Crypt in Hastings. That was another one where I had to pinch myself that I wasn't imagining it. Gil Scott Heron in a dingy damp basement club in Hastings!? Bizarre, or maybe not really, all things considered.

True.

And Gil Scott Heron in a dingy damp basement sounds surreal. Your post reminds me of a Mark E Smith gig at West Hill Community centre. He was playing with some other guy who’s name escapes me. I think I remember it was valentines evening; being an old romantic I took the now wife. We had a pizza, then purchased some beers as it was a BYO gig. I stood next to Frank Skinner. Very surreal.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thin Lizzy - 3 times, Brighton Centre

The rest
I saw Thin Lizzy just the twice at The Brighton Centre, both awesome....3 times? You lucky sod! [emoji6][emoji482][emoji106]

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Venue plays a big part in the gig experience; I've seen a few bands at the Wardour Street Marquee and it's such a good space that they were all pretty good. Probably the best of them was Hanoi Rocks. I also saw them at the Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone not long after and it was decidedly average.
Honourable mentions for The Jam at the Top Rank and Dome and The Clash at Brixton Academy.
In terms of big venues, I've seen a few at the Brighton Centre, O2 etc and none were as good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Venue plays a big part in the gig experience; I've seen a few bands at the Wardour Street Marquee and it's such a good space that they were all pretty good. Probably the best of them was Hanoi Rocks. I also saw them at the Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone not long after and it was decidedly average.
Honourable mentions for The Jam at the Top Rank and Dome and The Clash at Brixton Academy.
In terms of big venues, I've seen a few at the Brighton Centre, O2 etc and none were as good.

As an aside, Hanoi Rocks was supposed to be my first ever gig…but it got cancelled when Razzle died.

As someone in their early 30s who primarily listens to heavy metal and rock, I might have some different answers than some previously mentioned on the thread so far, but glad to see some bands I love (Maiden, Ghost) already mentioned, but will throw a few more in. Honourable mention for Judas Priest who've been excellent both times I've seen them headlining Bloodstock punk:

Unquestionably, the best live band in the world right now for me are Gojira. Crushingly heavy for the most part, but so much beauty in the way their songs are crafted. They're so tight as a unit and Mario Duplantier is one of the few drummers who justifies having a drum solo during a live set. They've been brilliant for years, but the last two albums have really pushed them into that top tier of metal bands in the live realm. Highly recommend checking out the full headline sets from Hellfest or Po'land Rock Festival in recent years, but I'll stick this from Hellfest in 2016 as a taster of how good they are live.

Rammstein. Their current stadium show is easily the best stage production and show I've seen from a band ever, and they back it up with the songs too. The top of their stage is taller than the stadiums they are playing, meaning the smoke let off from all the pyro dominates the skyline. Have already seen their current tour/stage show twice in 2019 in Milton Keynes and Prague, have tickets for them in Berlin and Cardiff this year and haven't ruled out combining a trip to the states to watch some NFL with their US tour either. It's that damn good!

Final one from me is Newport's finest Ragga Metal crew Skindred. I've never completely loved a whole album from them, but they have a greatest hits level live set that's always an absolute party. It helps they have one of the best crowd participation moments in any song with the Newport Helicopter during "Warning". Getting to do the Helicopter again at Bloodstock last year in this video below was one of the most cathartic live experiences of 2021

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Completely agree.

In Btn The DOme is by far the best venue, Top Rank is good also . . . There are pubs with better atmosphere and sound than the Brighton Centre.

Maybe I'm getting fussy in my old age, but the Concorde is decidedly average, Like most clubs, I blame the sound system, set up for DJ's and clubbing as opposed to live music, always too loud and a bad EQ.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Completely agree.

In Btn The DOme is by far the best venue, Top Rank is good also . . . There are pubs with better atmosphere and sound than the Brighton Centre.

Maybe I'm getting fussy in my old age, but the Concorde is decidedly average, Like most clubs, I blame the sound system, set up for DJ's and clubbing as opposed to live music, always too loud and a bad EQ.

I don’t get to many gigs these days but the Dome has been my favourite venue since I came to Brighton. Shame it was closed so long for renovations when I used to go to gigs regularly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here