Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best ground in the Championship ?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I know there is a general concesus on bowls but I just happen to be comfortable with them. In general the catering, views, matchday experience, etc. is usually better than traditional grounds. And despite them not deserving it I am impressed with the Ricoh. I'd have in my top five.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For me, the City Ground is the best in the Championship. It's a proper football ground on the banks of the Trent, completely rebuilt and the perfect size for the club that play in it. I'd say the Amex rivals it, but the transport for Forest's ground gives it the edge.

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
I can't believe people are suggesting Leeds, that is dire. Also, how can ANY new ground in this division beat The Amex? Places like Cardiff, Derby, Hull, Leicester, Southampton etc are basically a similar shape and size but lacking the same quality, without the unique design aspects and with several years of wear and tear in place.

The ONLY areas The Amex falls down in are capacity and history. I would suggest West Ham is probably the only ground that is better as it has both of these things and has managed to stay quite smart.

Because of the atmosphere that is developed there.
Because of its history.
Because it is a proper ground.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not to mention the fact that the toilet facilities at Amex are easily the worst of any ground I've been to!

Which begs the question of whether you've ever been to Fratton Park, Brisbane Road, Gillingham, Swindon, Bristol Rovers, the Valley, Southend, Torquay, or in fact almost any other stadium outside the Premier League What a ridiculous thing to say.

I accept you like the design & atmosphere of the old places but that doesn't mean anyone should have to use a toilet that might as well be an open cesspit.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
The problem with the likes of Leicester, Southampton, Reading and Derby is they all look like a McDonalds identikit stadium. Just a souless bowl and if you are looking at facilities then to be honest they are crap. I mean at St Marys' it is so dark in the concourse it feels like you are just entering the cinema as the film has started and the quality of food/drink is not a patch on the Amex. I mean at most grounds the only drink you can buy is tastless crap like Carlsberg where as at the Amex you can get REAL ale poured from a pump and you can even get Kronie which at least tastes like lager and not some tasteless piece of piss.

History obviously takes time to build up which is why WetSham comes highly, but I do like being close to the action at the Boleyn Ground. So to name a favourite ground you need it needs to be why as such as there are lots of variables.

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
1) Upton Park
2)Leeds United
3)Forest
4)Amex
5)St Andrews

A finished Amex would be 3rd behind the current top two.

Elland road is a hole
Upton Park is getting on a bit now also
Cardiffs new ground will take some beating when its finished
Only ground i have not been to in Championship is Burnley,but cannot see that being all that.....

Last edited:

damo1971

Jun 21, 2011
I have not been to all grounds in the championship, but I certainly think that Amex is better than St Marys and Leicesters ground. Both of which are perfectly functional stadiums, but that is it.

Second point, whilst there could be arguments and reasons why other stadiums may possibly be better than the amex, would any Brighton fan swap the Amex for any other stadium in the division. I know I wouldn't.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I'll go for Selhust.I particularly like the barbed wire and corrugated tin effect.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Which begs the question of whether you've ever been to Fratton Park, Brisbane Road, Gillingham, Swindon, Bristol Rovers, the Valley, Southend, Torquay, or in fact almost any other stadium outside the Premier League What a ridiculous thing to say.

I accept you like the design & atmosphere of the old places but that doesn't mean anyone should have to use a toilet that might as well be an open cesspit.

Fratton Park mens toilet was set right next to the food outlet!!!!! and to be honest there must be nicer toilets in the streets of Mumbai then what we were faced with at Fratton Park and that was hte gents. God only knows what it must be like for the female supporter at these types of grounds. They must basically be a health warning chalked on to the walls before you go in.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Well this does not sit easy with me..

I think the Amex is very pleasing to the eye when driving down the A27, it just looks good and suits Brighton as a city. Inside was very disapointing, but that is well explained and will improve I am sure.

Coventry's ground is a bit souless but easy to get to and park and we always seem to pick up points there.

Notts Forest, for the history and its a nice old ground.....But the place I like to watch football and for that reason and that reason only I give you the run down mess of a ground I love ..yes Selhurst park, my first love and although she's a bit rough round the edges and like me hasn't aged well I still love being inside her!!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I cant believe that people put Elland Road........unless its for History. The ground is a tired old relic of the 70's. The facilities are very poor and so is the view.

This. There's also f*** all legroom and the stewards are a shower of cunts.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Second point, whilst there could be arguments and reasons why other stadiums may possibly be better than the amex, would any Brighton fan swap the Amex for any other stadium in the division. I know I wouldn't.

I don't think anyone is saying they'd swap the Amex for anything that wasn't the question.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
For me, the City Ground is the best in the Championship. It's a proper football ground on the banks of the Trent, completely rebuilt and the perfect size for the club that play in it. I'd say the Amex rivals it, but the transport for Forest's ground gives it the edge.

Yeah, always amazed how quickly the crowds disappear after a big game.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Elland road is a hole
Upton Park is getting on a bit now also
Cardiffs new ground will take some beating when its finished
Only ground i have not been to in Championship is Burnley,but cannot see that being all that.....

Is Cardiffs not finished then? I also went on how they are currently which is I said our will be higher when finished.

I like Elland Road, A mix of history, location, capacity not just being a dull bowl ala Saints/Boro/Reading etc
Also nout wrong with Upton Park easily the best ground in the Championship my a mile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here