Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best gig you have ever been to!

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Meade's_Ball said:
I did enjoy the Brixton Academy Mandela show thing the day before the millions all got together and enjoyed white man's popular rock. Just a day of hip-hop and reggae with the Jungle Brothers and Public Enemy and Stetsasonic, films of the harlem globetrotters dribbled on vast canvasses, talks from Winnie Mandela (in her pre-murder days) and Jesse Jackson. Seemed to be a very welcome mood of culture and witnessable sculpture.

I was a stage hand at that one as my mates bro was an ANC bod. Outlaw Posse, London Crime Syndicate etc etc. Met Norman Cook back stage - he was wearing a Fiorentina shirt - fact (incredible photographic memory strikes again).

Why have I bounced this thread....because I did a search for Harlem Globetrotters as I'm taking the nipper along to see them tonight. Anyone been to a recent show?

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
1) Clash & Richard Hell in Cardiff (1977)
2) Ramones & Talking Heads in Swindon (1977)
3) John Cale in Croydon (1977)
4) Specials, Madness & Selecter in Derby (circa 1979)
5) Bobby Womack in Manchester the day after we won the Play off final - not a bad weekend!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm fortunate to have been to a number of great gigs, here's a few:

The Rolling Stones last year at Twickenham.
Big Beach Boutique II
Asian Dub Foundation live scoring The Battle of Algiers
Noel Gallagher at the Mean Fiddler (Docker's Benefit when Oasis were at the peak of their powers)
Suicidal Tendencies at Clarendon Ballroom circa 1985
Super Furry Animals (seen them do a lot of really good shows)
Kraftwerk at Royal Festival Hall about 4 years ago.

And one recent show that stands out as being quite magical was The Good The Bad The Queen in Bethnal Green.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Used to spend 6 nights a week at gigs - and Sunday lunchtimes

Need to differentiate between the gigs you ENJOYED the most, and those you can show off you were there.

Showing off-wise:

- U2 at The Marquee, Wardour Street (first gig off the boat, more or less)
- New Order at the Art College Basement (to be fair, don't remember much about it other than joining the queue and not seeing a thing due to the low stage. Remember hookey's bass tho. Think it was about the third gig they ever did or something)
- Not a gig as such, but was in the TOTP studio when the Jam made their first ever appearance doing 'In The City'. Top blokes in the bar afterwards.

Enjoyment-wise:

- Underworld at Stanmer Park Festival, mid-nineties
- Oasis at Brisbane Entertainment Centre, about 18 months back. Just BECAUSE
- The Clash, Victoria Park, Hackney, 19 seventy something, Rock Against racism gig. About as good as it gets, on many levels.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Peter Gabriel: NEC in 1987 (ish)
The Chameleons: Manchester Academy 2002 when they reformed.
The Fall: Manchester Poly 1980
The Cure: Manchester Poly 1980
Pearl Jam: Leeds 2006
Sisters of Mercy: Manchester Ritz 1985/6
The Members: Brighton Top Rank 1978/9

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here