Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Ever Meal?

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Web says Little Collins Lane - I used to work on that very street, west side of Elizabeth Street. Enjoyed many of Melbourne's cosmopolitan eateries while I was out there. One memorable place was a Mongolian restaurant where you put your chosen food on a plate from a cold buffet, they then cooked it for you on a huge hotplate.
Little Collins it was mate, easier to remember in the cold light day!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A couple of years ago in Les Arcs, our kids were 12 and 10 and had starting skiing the challenging stuff. In the morning, we had skied the Aguille Rouge and then headed for a restaurant just above Arcs 1850. The kids were hammering down the slopes to the restaurant and we were having to ski quite hard to keep up. It was plain wooden tables and benches out in the sun. Me and the Mrs had Tartiflette and a bottle of wine, while the kids has pizzas. When the kids had finished, they went off on a couple of runs near the restaurant while we layed in the sun and had desert. Very simple food, but the best meal I have ever had.

And no amount of money or poncey chef could have made it any better !

Last edited:

Cromwell Road Gull

Jul 2, 2008
A couple of years ago in Les Arcs, our kids were 12 and 10 and had starting skiing the challenging stuff. In the morning, we had skied the Aguille Rouge and then headed for a restaurant just above Arcs 1850. The kids were hammering down the slopes to the restaurant and we were having to ski quite hard to keep up. It was plain wooden tables and benches out in the sun. Me and the Mrs had Tartiflette and a bottle of wine, while the kids has pizzas. When the kids had finished, they went off on a couple of runs near the restaurant while we layed in the sun and had desert. Very simple food, but the best meal I have ever had.

And no amount of money or poncey chef could have made it any better !

Nice story - Just had a little lad and cant wait for days like that

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
This is really difficult as I am well known for liking my food, fortunately I have the metabolism of a greyhound so I manage to hide it well. I think the comment about food being right at the time, regardless of the place or quality is just about spot on, no need to name loads of poncey michelen starred restaurants.

Last year I spent some time in South West Africa, had kingclip in a restaurant in Swakopmund, probably the biggest piece of fish I have ever eaten...fortunately the size was matched by the flavour, it can't have been long out of the sea and was cooked to perfection.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I think mine would be when my mum took me to the Ritz for afternoon tea to celebrate my 18th Birthday. Not a meal as such, but plently of yummy sandwiches and cakes.

Socky

Sockmonster
Jun 24, 2008
Brighton
Sitting with my best mate on a hillside at a campsite overlooking Cap D'Antibes. Sun setting over the Med and the lights on the promenade far below us twinkling into action one by one. Starving hungry eating a simple baguette with some jam both scrounged from neighbouring campers. 20 years ago and never forgotten it. Magic.

wahoo

Banned
Oct 11, 2007
i could not be arsed to look at all the replys so i am sure someone has already said
dining at the captains table,
i can assure anyone who is bothered to read this i have had some memorable dining experiances at this particular table (some wonderfull and some dreadfull)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Had a particularly special meal on the dining tram touring around the streets of Melbourne including kangaroo steak - thanks for bringing the memory back

Best starter ever was in Brussels - smoked eel stuffed with scrambled egg and smoked salmon

Best main course was a Dover Sole on the SS Ballarat - a sugar boat into King George V Docks many years ago

Best puddding a sabayon at the Meridien Hotel in Singapore where the waitress beat the mix at the table to the tune "Guantanamera" - she must have had wrists of steel

Favourite food - fish and chips from a little back street chippy in King's Lynn - fresh from the boat and flavour and texture to die for

Last edited:

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
No?

The food is of the highest standard and I believe fit for a king.

I can only imagine that you hav'nt ben in there for a while?

It has been a while since i've been in the Star. It's always been a good pub with friendly staff and serves a decent pint but if i was going to get something to eat i'd go across the road to the brilliant Ephesus for a kebab.:drool:

Scanny

It has been a while since i've been in the Star. It's always been a good pub with friendly staff and serves a decent pint but if i was going to get something to eat i'd go across the road to the brilliant Ephesus for a kebab.:drool:

I have to admit, I was being sarky.

Its a good pub and I agree serves a decent, reasonable pint (EVO, Orange Sq, Sav's), but the food is a no-go.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I went on the poxy Atkins diet about 5 years ago and my first carbs after deciding to finish was a plate of spaghetti carbonara at the Jack & Jill, Clayton. I savoured every mouthful:drool: (and soon put the weight back on:()

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here