Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Ever Meal?

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
The best steak I have ever had was a t-bone at Cut in LA, melt in your mouth stuff. Half the cast of friends were on the table next to me, a very surreal meal.

actually you just reminded me of hands down, the best steak i've ever had.
boa - on sunset in LA (back when it was still attached to the grafton hotel).. the most amazing beef cooked to perfection, and an amazing caeser salad which they made at the table too.
oscars night 2008 and a bunch of us sat there in jeans surrounded by everyone in black tie haha. it's moved down sunset a bit now and haven't been since it's relocated but would highly, highly recommend it!

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Both of mine came in January this year, the first was after the villa game, i went to 'the balti triangle' area of Birmingham and visited a Curry House rated number 3 in the UK. The thought of the taste of that chicken Balti Jalfrezi still makes my mouth water. The Peshwari naan was also coated with honey which was amazing.

The second was a meal in a hotel in Bournemouth, 5 courses long each of them as good as the next, turned out the chef had a michelin star, no suprise really given the taste of it.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
actually you just reminded me of hands down, the best steak i've ever had.
boa - on sunset in LA (back when it was still attached to the grafton hotel).. the most amazing beef cooked to perfection, and an amazing caeser salad which they made at the table too.
oscars night 2008 and a bunch of us sat there in jeans surrounded by everyone in black tie haha. it's moved down sunset a bit now and haven't been since it's relocated but would highly, highly recommend it!

Been to the one in Vegas - brilliant!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Three which stand out are a lobster feast at a paladares in Pinor, Cuba. There were 3 of us including London Calling. Some woman offered to cook us a meal at her house for a few US dollars and she laid on a banquet. I was gobsmacked by the amount and quality and freshness of the food. I've been to Gordon Ramsey's on Royal Hospital Road. That was pretty amazing...and wonderfully relaxed and fun for such a fancy joint. I've also had a sushi breakfast at Daiwa, Tokyo Fish Market. This is a canteen style place at the market where you sit at the bar and eat what is prepared. The sushi is fresh off the market that day, simple but excellent. There are two Daiwa's next to each other. One is run by the father, the other the son. They compete to be the best. I also heard that neither have any refrigeration. They simply buy from the market in morning, use it, clean up and go home for the day. If you like sushi make sure you visit this place.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
There is a tiny chinese place on your right once you step out of South Kensington tube station, can't recall the name though. Probably something like oriental cuisine :smile:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Three which stand out are a lobster feast at a paladares in Pinor, Cuba. There were 3 of us including London Calling. Some woman offered to cook us a meal at her house for a few US dollars and she laid on a banquet. I was gobsmacked by the amount and quality and freshness of the food.

They certainly take pride in their cuisine! I made the fatal mistake of telling a couple that I was starving and they gave me six plates rammed full of different foods.

I went on a road trip with two Cuban guys and they bought two massive Red Snappers for a dollar. Amazing value.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That looks good, very good indeed. I'm going to have to go to Lockwood kebabs :lolol:

talking of Lockwood.....does the competition happen each year where people used to try and throw a cricket ball over the viaduct from the cricket field?

My Dad held the record there back in the 60's

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They certainly take pride in their cuisine! I made the fatal mistake of telling a couple that I was starving and they gave me six plates rammed full of different foods.

I went on a road trip with two Cuban guys and they bought two massive Red Snappers for a dollar. Amazing value.

It's an odd country food wise though. If you go to regular 'restaurants' or snack places the food is abysmal; bland, soggy with fat and the meat is from scrawny animals. But, if you go to the private house restaurants and pay in US dollars they make an incredible fuss, make an incredible meal and you're there for hours. I'll try and dig out the photo of our lobster banquet, it was huge and the family who made it were so proud of their efforts. Me and London Calling were speechless with our jaws on the floor.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It's an odd country food wise though. If you go to regular 'restaurants' or snack places the food is abysmal; bland, soggy with fat and the meat is from scrawny animals. But, if you go to the private house restaurants and pay in US dollars they make an incredible fuss, make an incredible meal and you're there for hours. I'll try and dig out the photo of our lobster banquet, it was huge and the family who made it were so proud of their efforts. Me and London Calling were speechless with our jaws on the floor.

Agreed. 350g of rice, 190g of vegetables and 275g of chicken in a state restaurant is dull, but give a local a chance to work with that and they'll make it into a culinary masterpiece.

At one point, I ended up hiding a lot of food in my pocket as I didn't want them to think I was being rude as I was recovering from a bottle of street rum and some dodgy prawns.

The dollar was very powerful when I went. Everyone wanted one instead of the other two currencies. One does get some unwanted attention due to a mere whiff of a green George Washington.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agreed. 350g of rice, 190g of vegetables and 275g of chicken in a state restaurant is dull, but give a local a chance to work with that and they'll make it into a culinary masterpiece.

At one point, I ended up hiding a lot of food in my pocket as I didn't want them to think I was being rude as I was recovering from a bottle of street rum and some dodgy prawns.

The dollar was very powerful when I went. Everyone wanted one instead of the other two currencies. One does get some unwanted attention due to a mere whiff of a green George Washington.

I wonder how many Cuban chickens it would take to make 275g of meat? Probably quite a lot. Even Cuban pigs are like whippets.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
hmm., has to be one of three-

gammon steak wuth egg, salad and chips at the devils dyke..
mind you, so hungry after cycling there, anything would have tasted good!

2- latin in the lanes- crab salad starter (served in the shell), then dover sole which i had never tried before, with some saute spuds.
the prices were quite startling, but feck the boss was paying..!

3- china garden. great variety of dishes, friendly service, plenty of booze, and again, boss paid.
:lolol:

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
ooo this is easy, in 1982 after a month of ration packs and corned beef, and walking/fighting the argies....we got back onboard HMS Intrepid and was treated to a cooked breakfast...

stewed tea
over cooked bacon
soggy mushrooms
fried bread you could use as building blocks
eggs that seemed they'd been cooked 3 days previously
tomatoes that had seen better days
baked beans that were like little PEBBLES.

put that all together with my first shower for 30 odd days and a comfortable BED......absolute heaven.

ive had better meals since, but i'll always remember that BEAUTY :smile:

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
not that I just had it but I went out for didner on my lonesome in Melbourne tonight (feckin' client having blown me out) and stumbled upon a place called Il Bacaro on Flinders Lane - f*** me was that a good Italian meal or what?

So, it got me thinking, what's the cognicenti's favouritist (is that aword, it is now) meal ever ever anywhere?

No snob factor here, if it's fish 'n' chips in wherever then whatever...., and yes, I'm a little merry....

Web says Little Collins Lane - I used to work on that very street, west side of Elizabeth Street. Enjoyed many of Melbourne's cosmopolitan eateries while I was out there. One memorable place was a Mongolian restaurant where you put your chosen food on a plate from a cold buffet, they then cooked it for you on a huge hotplate.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Exactamundo, which kinda sums up the moment of chips in pitta bread on a Summer evening in an unfamiliar little Devon town.

It probably cost £4 but ranks over £150+ meals I've had, although they were very nice too.
you guys have totally got where I was coming from - there must be literally hundreds of little Italian restaurants in Melbourne and I honestly picked the first one I came to for a quick feed after a few beers with an old mate - a real right place at the right time scenario combined with what I thought was a simply stunning pasta dish....

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Three which stand out are a lobster feast at a paladares in Pinor, Cuba. There were 3 of us including London Calling. Some woman offered to cook us a meal at her house for a few US dollars and she laid on a banquet. I was gobsmacked by the amount and quality and freshness of the food. I've been to Gordon Ramsey's on Royal Hospital Road. That was pretty amazing...and wonderfully relaxed and fun for such a fancy joint. I've also had a sushi breakfast at Daiwa, Tokyo Fish Market. This is a canteen style place at the market where you sit at the bar and eat what is prepared. The sushi is fresh off the market that day, simple but excellent. There are two Daiwa's next to each other. One is run by the father, the other the son. They compete to be the best. I also heard that neither have any refrigeration. They simply buy from the market in morning, use it, clean up and go home for the day. If you like sushi make sure you visit this place.
always think about going there when in Tokyo but can never get up in time for the uber early start it requires - guess I need to go to bed earlier the night before but that just never seems to happen....
We had marbled tuna sashimi a few weeks ago, mouthwatering stuff that is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here