Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Ever Meal?

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
not that I just had it but I went out for didner on my lonesome in Melbourne tonight (feckin' client having blown me out) and stumbled upon a place called Il Bacaro on Flinders Lane - f*** me was that a good Italian meal or what?

So, it got me thinking, what's the cognicenti's favouritist (is that aword, it is now) meal ever ever anywhere?

No snob factor here, if it's fish 'n' chips in wherever then whatever...., and yes, I'm a little merry....
:drunk:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I had a birthday meal at The Greys cooked by Spats (RIP) a few years back.

Olives and other bits for nibbles

Starter - Foie Gras
Champagne sorbet
Main - Game stew in chocolate and red wine sauce
Dessert - Had the cheese board as Chef had made me a sponge cake which he literally soaked in Grand Marnier.

Not exactly the lightest meal I've ever had by BY CHRIST was it good.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not sure about the best ever as I have had a few that were very very good but one that spings to mind was meal we had at Goudi's in Midhurst that was exceptional. At the time this restaurant was rated no 3 in the country by The Times and was certainly well worth the money although it was not cheap. The good touches that make the difference was the Dry Martini that my wife had and Campari I had were served in very cold glasses and the bottles had also been kept very cold so ice not required. I finished off with a Hennessy XO brandy and again the glasses had been warmed to enhance the brandy. The food was abviously very good. Not sure if Goudi's is still in business.

Unlike the Spread Eagle and Angel Hotesl in Midhurst that we visited and the food was awful in both.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I had a birthday meal at The Greys cooked by Spats (RIP) a few years back.

Olives and other bits for nibbles

Starter - Foie Gras
Champagne sorbet
Main - Game stew in chocolate and red wine sauce
Dessert - Had the cheese board as Chef had made me a sponge cake which he literally soaked in Grand Marnier.

Not exactly the lightest meal I've ever had by BY CHRIST was it good.
sounds good, tonight I had the special pasta - Orichetti(?) - little ears - with goat ragu, broad beans, chestnuts, muscatels, dollops of goats cheese and parsely, mmmm, it was rather nice.....

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I have enjoyed many fine meals in many places Berlin, Dusseldorf, Ireland, London,, Dubai there is no way I can describe how nice some of them were and do it justice but the raw beef salad starter in Berlin and the goats head starter with Venison main in The Old Bear in Cobham is gonna take some beating.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My Mrs went to Jamies shop in western road with laura and they were taught how to make a few fish dishes. She then came home, bought two sea bass from the place ( plaice) in Hove lagoon and recreated what she did .

It was truly fabulous....poached sea bass, with fennel and other stuff and grilled sea bass with herb crust, minted popatoes and salad, a bottle of New Zealand Sauvingon Blanc followed by cheese and bikkies.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Julies Place in Clearwater, Florida was amazing. Right on the beach & i had the surf & turf of which the surf was freshly caught local lobster..heeeeeavan!!

Also the Cactus Club cafe on Robson street in vancouver is the best ribs anywhere in the world (that i have been) and im a ribs connoisiuer

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Has to be Bacchanalia, Atlanta, GA. Simply stunning food, at simply stunning prices, by which I mean the meal came to about $300 between 3 people, but it was certainly worth it.

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
The Trattoria at Jamie Oliver's Fifteen in London...best..steak..EVER! With amazing coffee...called Origin coffee...trying to get hold of that...I'd recommend you do!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The ricetable at The Antelope and the Tiger in Amsterdam. If you like your small dishes then you cannot go wrong here.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
A good while ago. Having driven up from South New Jersey on a very hot day we decided to stop for something to eat around 3PM. Walked into this deserted sports bar, ordrede a beer and a burger, nothing speacial. I was thirsty, the first beer disappeared in seconds rather to the shock of the barman. The second was a bit slower. The burger was a real piece of meat and not one of your MacDonalds animal by products efforts. Another was in the resturant right beside Niagara Falls. Don't remember the meal, just the view.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A good while ago. Having driven up from South New Jersey on a very hot day we decided to stop for something to eat around 3PM. Walked into this deserted sports bar, ordrede a beer and a burger, nothing speacial.

A sentiment I can appreciate. Possibly the best meal I had was some plain and simple chips in pitta bread sitting in a hole in a wall on a warm Summer's night in Lynton, North Devon.

It's not always about 'fine dining'...

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Tony Roma's in Miami. I believe there is one in Kingston as well, might have to try it out.

f***ing incredible.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Pasta with 3 cheese and butter in a very ordinary trattoria near Florence railway station that is sadly no longer there.

As far as the US recommendations are concerned there is a series running on the Travel Channel at the moment called 'The Best Thing I Have Ever Eaten' which looks at differnet types of food and various D-List celebs and foodies waffle on about their choice.

Sound boring but trust me it is absolute hell to watch as the food they select looks simply fantastic. By and large it is simple steaks, burgers and fried chicken from relatively humble places.

Man vs. Food is good to watch for the same reason..........if not typically American!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here