Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best CLUB side ever?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Real Madrid of the 60s although not all European nations played in the European Cup in those days. There's a good shout for Celtic in 1967.

10 of the 11 players born within 2 miles of Parkhead, it would never happen again, anywhere in the world.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
That accolade must surely go to Stoke Poges FC 1976-1978. That team went two whole seasons unbeaten. No other team has ever done that.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Wasn't there only 4 teams in the competition at the time though?

28 teams in 1959/60 - the one that produced the greatest final of all. Before my time of course, but I can't see any team matching that.

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
Barca's team is great at the moment but I don't think they'll win la liga and i've got a feeling Inter will beat them, Mourinho always has a masterplan for the big games.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
probably the liverpool team of the 80's or the real madrid side of puskas etc

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I have the Real madrid v Eintract Frankfurt 1960 European Cup Final on video. It's a fabulous performance.
Name me ANY team that has scored 7 in a Final.?????:eek:

The whole thing? he said, drooling.

I've only seen the highlights and that just makes me wish I'd seen the whole game. I believe Fergie was at the game - now, if only he could get United playing like that.

Quite honestly. I don't know how anyone can dispute this was the best club side of all time. The stats speak for themselves.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
rotherham united under ronnie moore the first

The whole thing? he said, drooling.

I've only seen the highlights and that just makes me wish I'd seen the whole game. I believe Fergie was at the game - now, if only he could get United playing like that.

Quite honestly. I don't know how anyone can dispute this was the best club side of all time. The stats speak for themselves.

Yup. But the quality is dreadful.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We are taking into account that old football was rubbish, yes?

Nowadays Barca team would paste pretty much anyone, when you see what they do to the current Man Utd, Arsenal and Real Madrid sides.

What did they do to the current Man Utd side, didn't think they played them?

Good point about the old football, don't reckon any team pre about 1985 would stand much of a chance against the top 4 in England, the top 2 in Spain or the top 3 in Italy.

As for the arguement of which is the best club side, yes, you can go on CL wins, but there have been dubious results over the years, and penalties cannot be used as a yardstick for which team is better than another. Penalties are used to decide the outcome of a game, not the better side.

I think you have to look deeper into the domestic leagues, I can only talk about Eurpoean leagues as that is what I watch. I think the consensus is that England, Germany, Holland, Spain and Italy are historically the strongest leagues consistently, which is why I haven't included Scottish teams, nor French neither of whom have a great heritage in European competition but do have dominant teams.

Barca (19) don't even come close to Real Madrid (31) for league championshps in Spain.
Juventus (27) thrash Milan (17) and Inter (17) in Italy .
Bayern Munich (21) eclipse FC Nuremberg (9) in Germany
Ajax (29) and Eindhoven (21) have the lions share in Holland
In England there has been no such dominance, United and Liverpool sharing 18titles each.

On the face of it, the best European side year-on-year seems to be Real Madrid by a large margin. If you are talking about right now in 2010, then the only yardstick is the CL, but I really don't think that gives an accurate answer as it is after all "knock-out" football, not a true league. IMO you understand.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What did they do to the current Man Utd side, didn't think they played them?

Good point about the old football, don't reckon any team pre about 1985 would stand much of a chance against the top 4 in England, the top 2 in Spain or the top 3 in Italy.

I don't buy this. They're certainly fitter now but I don't reckon they're less skilled.

I had a look at this morning at various footballing sites' lists of the 10 best players of all time: the same names kept cropping up: Pele, Cruyff, Maradona, Di Stefano, Platini, Beckenbauer, Puskas - none of them played in the last 20 years (bar Maradona and he was past his peak by then). The only modern-era player who regularly made the lists was Zidane. Of course, there's more to football than star players but having some of the skills of the above-named, I'd be hard pressed to think of any modern team who I'd back to take on the likes of Real Madrid or Ajax of the early 70s.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
hard to tell from just grainy footage but the real team from the fifties footage takes your breath away.

being born in the early seventies agreed liverpool took some beating but ac's (jp papins) demolition of barcelona is probably the greatest european club performance i have ever seen. bollocks to the arsenal barcelona game. didnt compare when you weigh it up.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
We are taking into account that old football was rubbish, yes?

Nowadays Barca team would paste pretty much anyone, when you see what they do to the current Man Utd, Arsenal and Real Madrid sides.

Yes, old football was rubbish (with the notable exception of that GENIUS Puskas) so that gets rid of any pre 70s sides from the equation for me, but the AC Milan team of the early 90s were SICK. They pasted a brilliant Barca side (4-0 in the 94 final) who had just TWATTED Man United 4-0 in the semi-finals themselves. Going forward they were probably just slightly short of the quality this Barca side have, but at the back..... Costacurta, Baresi, Maldini versus the current Barca backline.....

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I'd have to go for Ajax of the early 70s. This is purely an emotional choice as I loved the way they played. I can just remember Real Madrid v Eintracht on a tiny black and white tv and players like Gento, Puskas and di Stefano but I was too young then to understand how good they were.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'd have to go for Ajax of the early 70s. This is purely an emotional choice as I loved the way they played. I can just remember Real Madrid v Eintracht on a tiny black and white tv and players like Gento, Puskas and di Stefano but I was too young then to understand how good they were.

Mmmmmm.... incredible how they pinned Inter Milan pretty much in their own penalty area for almost the whole of the 1972 final. I know Inter had an ultra-defensive approach but they were completely overrun even in the areas where they would supposedly be dominant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here