Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best CLUB side ever?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I have the Real madrid v Eintract Frankfurt 1960 European Cup Final on video. It's a fabulous performance.
Name me ANY team that has scored 7 in a Final.?????:eek:
[yt]vKJA8Kq_fxU[/yt]

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
That AC Milan side of the early 90's was a bit special, with the dutch Holy Trinity of Van Basten, Gullitt and Rijkaard in their pomp, and Donadoni.
Maldini and Baresi at the back. Wonderful team to watch. I think they did Real Madrid 5-0 at the San Siro once in one of their most scintillating performances.

Would totally agree with you there Easy,best Milan side that i have witnesed as a visitor to the san Siro.:thumbsup:

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
[yt]vKJA8Kq_fxU[/yt]

I'm sorry, but some of that footage is utterly UTTERLY laughable. Don't get me wrong, some of the Real Madrid player's skills are sublime, but most of the game is played at the pace of a testimonial (Christ, give me twenty yards to play in and I reckon I could look quite skillful) which makes it far far easier.

Check out the Frankfurt defending for the first 3-4 goals. If it was Elphick or El-Abd (third tier footballers) producing those kind of weak pathetic clearances from hopeful balls into the box the whole of NSC would be up in arms. Look at the footage of the Frankfurt defending which culminates in that GOON just falling over and kicking the ball out of play (around 1 min 30 secs in). Look at the "ball control" of the Frankfurt defender who gave away the third goal. Again, imagine El-Abd or Elphick doing that and the reaction on here. Seriously.

That Real Madrid team might have been great (Puskas was a true genius and way ahead of his time), but there is no way of telling from that hilarious footage. Seriously, take your "everything was better in t'my t'day t'lad" specs off and look at that defending. Non-league standard.

I'm sorry, but some of that footage is utterly UTTERLY laughable. Don't get me wrong, some of the Real Madrid player's skills are sublime, but most of the game is played at the pace of a testimonial (Christ, give me twenty yards to play in and I reckon I could look quite skillful) which makes it far far easier.
What strikes me from watching that is how much the pace of today's game owes to the aerodynamics of the balls that are used these days.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
The Spanish's Posts About Football count: 3.

Glen Johnson and Matt Taylor have scored better goals than any of those. Glen Johnson and Matt Taylor. Completely average players by modern standards.

A slight aside... But was it you who once said Glen Johnson is a better player than George Best ever was? :lolol:

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Another vote for the AC Milan team which beat Barcelona 4-0 in the early 90s.

Ajax's team of the mid 90s would have gone to even greater things but for the younger players leaving (Bergkamp, Kluivert, Davids, Van der Sar etc.).

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Clearly if you look at things out of context, most Premiership sides these days would SPANK the likes of 60s Madrid etc.

But there is so much more context about it like fitness, equipment, etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here