• dick knight

Votes: 44 66.7%
  • tony bloom

Votes: 22 33.3%

• Total voters

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
To be honest, most of the people moaning about Bloom are people who probably moaned while Knight was there as well as they just tend to like moaning. As has been said above, this must be the most pointless poll ever and I am sure Bloom and Knight would be embarassed for you.

why all the comments then? And 26 people have voted

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have never been a great fan of DK but realise the good he did for us and hope that Bloom can take us on the next stage of our eventful life as a football club. I woulnt wish to say who is the best as each have their own merits.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
We have been blessed with two superb chairmen at the right times in history.This isn't a competition and i hate comparing the two so i won't.:smile:

No probs vulture - you must have started this thread in a bored state or after musing on some pointless minutia. It's always asking for contentious response though - just be happy that we had BOTH chairmen, because our survival as a club has been a necessary relay - with a less equipped hero carrying the baton through very difficult and complex circumstances, and handing it to exactly the right man equipped to get to the finish line still ahead.

It may be easier for TB, to drop a 100mil 'because he's minted', but don't believe for a moment that a richer man spends big money with any more ease than you would, because I doubt that it wasn't a VERY carefully considered decision.

Along the way there have been events that some might have found agreeable, and some disagreeable (e.g. MaGOO-sacking :thumbsup: Wilkins-elbow :wrong: ) but as fans we cannot always see everything as the board do (let alone each other)

Doubtless, Tony Bloom's investment in The Albion has entitled him to a lot of backing from us. It's clear that such a huge amount risked by one person in building this stadium, precludes the idea that he's interested in flogging the club down the river. As a gambling man, he wouldn't be backing a hand like that unless he was entering in the pot for a long game.

We really have no option BUT to celebrate BOTH these men, and read the signs along the way as having been good ones.

I went, with others, to take Dick Knight out for dinner and present him with a token of appreciation - I stand by that always and in my book he's well worthy :clap2:
If I can take Tony Bloom out for dinner for what he's done for The Albion - then he needn't pick up the tab, or the tip.

We needed 'stand-up' blokes to sort out Brighton and Hove Albion F.C., and that's exactly who we got. NO complaints! NO pulling them down or picking them apart - there's not one person who ever played, stood, or sat in The Goldstone Ground on match day, who I can feel more thankful to than those fellows.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
would dick knights reign be looked at in the same way as it currently is had bloom not come in and he had to admit that, after all the planning battles, we would be stuck at withdean because falmer wasnt going to happen as we couldnt afford it despite constantly stating the funding was in place

having said that, they've both played their parts so its ludicrous being asked to choose. give it five years though and if we are in the premiership id probably be voting for bloom

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
hmm, one chairman with 11 years history, saved the club and 3 promotions, vs one chairman with 1 years history who's put his hand in his pocket to the tune of £93million.

untill Bloom has been around 4-5 years i dont think you can compare, unless you think money = best automatically.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Got to go on acheivements and DK for saving the club and pushing forward Falmer (whilst also the matter of championship football) wins hands down.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Dont want to comment on the question, but do find a number of people effectively crediting Dick with single handedly saving the Albion a little insulting to the likes of Martin Perry, Paul Samrah, Lord B, History Man and even Tony Bloom (before he took the club over was still influential) etc.

No Dick Knight no Albion-wrong! No Dick Knight and all the others who fought the great battles no Albion-right!!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
They both have made a fantastic contribution. Without DK writing out a £500k cheque as surety for fulfilling our fixtures in 1997 there would be no club, without TB underwriting the new stadium there would be nothing to look forward to.

Let's just count our blessings and wait for the fixtures.

Surely if we chairmen are to be judged by the number of trophies they bring in then the Glazers, with three Premierships, two League Cups and a Champions League in their first few seasons are the best ever..........just ask United fans.

Loans from where? From who?

The blooms?:wink:
Repayable loans? I thought that much of the funding that Tony Bloom put into the Albion when DK was Chairman was more in the nature of a gift.

What I do know is that Dick Knight and the Bloom family worked closely together. There are folk posting on this thread who seem to think differently.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If the Albion get £90 Milliion for promotion to the Premier League, could the club not repay Tony Bloom in full straight off and go forward debt-free from that point?

If the Albion get £90 Milliion for promotion to the Premier League, could the club not repay Tony Bloom in full straight off and go forward debt-free from that point?
I suspect that a very small amount of the Premier League money might be earmarked for players' wages. But, obviously, that sort of thing wouldn't happen if DK was in charge.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What a shit thread. There's no need to vote - it's a joke - hey're both legends and not comparible

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

.....perhaps he doesn't want the money back, and would rather see the £90m spent on a squad that could bring us survival in the Prem?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
.....perhaps he doesn't want the money back, and would rather see the £90m spent on a squad that could bring us survival in the Prem?

Can't see us spending £90m on players somehow. Or even a tenth of that. And it's not like the stadium would need upgrading. IMHO would make perfect sense to repay a hefty chunk of the debt earlydoors.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Can't see us spending £90m on players somehow. Or even a tenth of that. And it's not like the stadium would need upgrading. IMHO would make perfect sense to repay a hefty chunk of the debt earlydoors.

If you look at Pompey, they have run up debts of £130m DESPITE having the Premiership riches and a Cup win as income streams.

You only need a few players on £40-50k a week salaries, three year contracts, agents and transfer fees and the money quickly evaporates.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You only need a few players on £40-50k a week salaries, three year contracts, agents and transfer fees and the money quickly evaporates.

For sure. But, say, hypothetically GP - or someone - puts a solid team together that wins automatic promotion. Is there really that much difference in levels of skill between top of the Championship and the foot of the Premier League? I'd say there isn't. OK, you'd need to beef up the squad, and offer existing players more money. But ninety million quids worth?! Could subsidise tickets massively, but can't see the club doing that. In fact, what would we actually DO with £90M? ???

If you look at Pompey, they have run up debts of £130m DESPITE having the Premiership riches and a Cup win as income streams.

If a Premier League Albion team paid HALF the average PL wage to a squad of just 20 players, the wage bill would be £14.7 million a year. If we paid the average PL wage to a squad of 25 players, the bill would be £36.75 million.

Premier League footballers not the richest on the planet - revealed - Telegraph

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
For sure. But, say, hypothetically GP - or someone - puts a solid team together that wins automatic promotion. Is there really that much difference in levels of skill between top of the Championship and the foot of the Premier League? I'd say there isn't. OK, you'd need to beef up the squad, and offer existing players more money. But ninety million quids worth?! Could subsidise tickets massively, but can't see the club doing that. In fact, what would we actually DO with £90M? ???

It's not £90m straight away.

Each PL club gets £14.6million automatically as TV money, plus a further sum for every game that is live on Sky/ESPN.

In addition they receive £800k for each place in the league, so Chelsea get £16m for winning and Pompey £800k for finishing bottom.

The solidarity payments are £48m spread over four years if we go straight down.

So the £90m is actually the money over a five year period, not a single season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here