Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BEST and WORST shirt sponsors we've ever had.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Didn't we play Barnet in Division 3 when they were sponsored by Loaded magazine, meaning the sponsors were Skint vs Loaded, or did I imagine that?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I was looking through some old shirts the other day - that awful one in the 1990s that had two main stripes front and back and lots of white on it must rank as our worst ever, red/green Donatellos sponsor and made by some lowbrow manufacturer called SportStars or something - anyone remember their proper name? They had a Z-type logo.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Didn't we play Barnet in Division 3 when they were sponsored by Loaded magazine, meaning the sponsors were Skint vs Loaded, or did I imagine that?

This is correct, don't think the press ever really made enough of it though.

football_shirt_46_1_0x80x0.jpg
football_shirt_2124_1_0x80x0.jpg

I was looking through some old shirts the other day - that awful one in the 1990s that had two main stripes front and back and lots of white on it must rank as our worst ever, red/green Donatellos sponsor and made by some lowbrow manufacturer called SportStars or something - anyone remember their proper name? They had a Z-type logo.

Think you must be refering to this one 1997/1998, made by Superleague, sponsor was Sandtex, in two guises

football_shirt_8738_1_0x80x0.jpg
football_shirt_2_1_0x80x0.jpg

Superleague Logo
046.jpg

Last edited:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Nobo worst by a mile. Being the only kid at school wearing a brighton shirt (everyone else was a Watford or Liverpool fan as it was the 80s) was hard enough without the constant knob jokes!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Eastbourne?

........is where NOBO were based.

Though the TSB looked quite good it was always said by non Albion supporting twats to stand for Tesco Shopping Bag. Didn't help with all stripe kit either.

Current sponsor is pretty lame.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Think you must be refering to this one 1997/1998, made by Superleague, sponsor was Sandtex, in two guises

football_shirt_8738_1_0x80x0.jpg
football_shirt_2_1_0x80x0.jpg

Superleague Logo
View attachment 33458[/QUOTE]

Yes Superleague! It would be the first of those two I believe. Thought there was more white on it - maybe two big stripes on the back? Will have to go back and check when I'm next in Seaford.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yes Superleague! It would be the first of those two I believe. Thought there was more white on it - maybe two big stripes on the back? Will have to go back and check when I'm next in Seaford.

Those images show the same shirt, but with the sponsor applied in different ways, on the left was the botch job done for the first few games of the season before they had time to have them printed properly, as per the image on the right. The stripe format on the back was the same as the front more or less. You can view them in more detail on any half decent football shirt history website.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Best was donatellos as they were prepared to put money in when there can't have been a single commercial reason for doing it. No fans, no ground, no benefit to the firm for doing it.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
........is where NOBO were based.

Though the TSB looked quite good it was always said by non Albion supporting twats to stand for Tesco Shopping Bag. Didn't help with all stripe kit either.

Current sponsor is pretty lame.

I know they were later based in Eastbourne. If you and LB read the post, it's clear to me that I am referring to when they were first starting out. Must have been about 1969-70. As I said I used to sell the products and also the odd pick up of products from Eastbourne when they became a sizeable company and moved to Eastbourne and later still became the Albion shirt sponsor.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
'NOBO' was genius, as were the early 1990s when all football kits went psychedelic. Plus the stripey shorts were ace too

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

That's up there with NOBO vs WANG when Brighton played Oxford in 1988/89.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
No sponsors on shirts and 1 - 11 numbers please thank you !!! Plus green tops for keepers and team shorts and socks ,black boots only, all white footballs...........................................etc etc happy days

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here