Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Album of 2007

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Yes, it's hard to speak when you're laughing so hard.

Not to everyone's taste, I will admit that, but can't be any worse than Britney "Where's my hair" Spears, and the most over rated band of all time, the Arctic Monkeys.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Wait for Me - Pigeon Detectives
Our Love to Admire - Interpol
Send Away the Tigers - Manic Street Preachers
Myths Of The Near Future - Klaxons
Grinderman
Neon Bible - Arcade Fire
Men's Needs Women's Needs Whatever - Cribs

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Some of my choices would be:

Proof of Youth - The Go! Team (criminally underrated, the most catchy and fun album of the year - they're one of the only bands to have a genuinely unique sound, and one of the few with the talent to produce two fantastic albums on the trot)
In Rainbows - Radiohead (another masterpiece)
Hey Venus! - Super Furry Animals (not their best by a long way, but some of the best pop music of the year)
Release the Stars - Rufus Wainwright (an album which has so much more to it than the average fare)
Neon Bible - Arcade Fire (Not as good as Funeral, but some classic songs - No Cars Go is the track of the year - make this another essential)
Magic - Bruce Springsteen (A great album, at least by recent standards, from the E Street Band)

This year has also had some real dissapointments:
Weekend in the City - Bloc Party (boooooooooring)
Because of the Times - Kings of Leon (a once great band proving that they only had one decent album in them - what happened to their original sound?)
Favourite Worst Nightmare - Arctic Monkeys (I seemed to be alone in this one, I listened to it a few times and all I could think was "where are the tunes?", so so average)

sonicyouth

May 20, 2004
Coventry
jose gonzalez - in our nature.

that's the only album i've genuinely enjoyed this year, bar all the stuff i've bought that was released previously of course

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
The Go! Team are definitely a band I should like, but don't because I think they are too loud in production with too much stuff LOUD at once.
New Model Army's 'HIGH' is on my list, fantastic, still relevant and been going for years, love 'em (and Atilla was at their gig in Brighton, good lad)

Jul 20, 2003
The Go! Team are definitely a band I should like, but don't because I think they are too loud in production with too much stuff LOUD at once.

But, as the GREAT Steffan Dennis once said ......

'don't it make yah feel good'

Jul 20, 2003
mine would have to be:

1st- Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
2nd- Patrick Watson - Close To Paradise
3rd- The Good The Bad The Queen - self titled
4th - Interpol - Love To Admire (a bit hit and miss though)

(Re: Soulsavers. I caught them live at Latitude and i was bored stiff. A massive disappointment as i'm a fan of Mark Lanegan).

For some reason I didn't know 'Spoon' had an album out.

Oops from me and thank you

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ummm......how come no-one's mentioned Grinderman - the Nick Cave spin-off project?

Seriously... no pussy blues is THE track of the year.

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Everything on the Guardian list is utter kack. I've got more taste in my todger.

This is the best album of 2007. FACT

Attachments

• 51ssGALGs3L._SS400_.jpg
    51ssGALGs3L._SS400_.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 53

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Turin Brakes - Dark on Fire gets my vote....

Really? I'm a big TB fan but that album is really not all that good. Music doesn't have any sort of natural flow and when they played live they just made slow music even SLLLOOOOWWWEEERRR!

Monkeys or Editors for me any day of the week and i'm with most on the issue of Hard-Fi, cringeworthy band who just try far too hard to be 'cool'!

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
These spring to mind..

Reverend & The Makers - The State Of Things
The Twang - Love It When I Feel Like This
The Coral - Roots and Echoes
Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
Candie Payne - I Wish I Could Have Loved You More
The Go! Team - Proof of Youth
The Rumble Strips - Girls and Weather