Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Eagles album was good.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Foo Fighters - Echoes Silence Patience Grace is amazing

Hope they're better on disc than they were live on Jonathan Ross (?) a couple of weeks ago, worst sounding live band I've seen for ages.

Chrome Dreams 11 by Neil Young for me, gets better with every listen as well which makes a change from a lot of the instant "I like it" stuff around at the moment which gets boring after a week or so.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Bored of indie. Bored of Radiohead. Bored of glowsticks.

Foo Fighters - Echoes Silence Patience Grace is amazing

But the Foo Fighters are the most predictable, boring band in the world (after Hard Fi of course!).

It has to be In Rainbows for me, with Kings of Leon and Good Shoes getting honourable mentions.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Okay David, we have acknowledged that you're not well :D

i thought it was/is a really good album...comparable to some of the old On The Border, Desperado albums.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
i thought it was/is a really good album...comparable to some of the old On The Border, Desperado albums.

No, I was hoping it would recapture that but to be honest it sounded very bland and yes, dated to me, even down to the quirky Joe Walsh penned tracks, the single was good I agree.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Infadels - We are not the infadels. *This may have been 2006, but the special edition re-release was this year and is blinding.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Between:

The Enemy - We'll Live And Die In These Towns
The View - Hats Off To The Buskers
Cherry Ghost - Thirst For Romance

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
The Times list:

Nice to see David Ford at number 7!

POP AND ROCK

1 ROBERT PLANT AND ALISON KRAUSS Raising Sand (Rounder/Decca) The pitch for this album – screaming rock god meets bluegrass fiddle-player – wouldn’t convince anyone. So how did it emerge as such a sumptuous musical feast? The impeccable taste of the producer T Bone Burnett, the intriguing song selection, the masterful band and the unexpectedly gorgeous marriage of those two voices.Click here to listen

2 LCD SOUNDSYSTEM Sound of Silver (DFA/EMI) On his second album, James Murphy dug deep into the vaults to relocate the core values of dance music and electronica, emerging with a sequence of songs that nailed for ever the lie that machine music is incapable of emotion. Sound of Silver courses with it. A masterpiece.Click here to watch the video for Someone Great

3 ARCTIC MONKEYS Favourite Worst Nightmare (Domino) Difficult second album? I don’t think so. The Monkeys made light of following up the fastest-selling debut of all time, creating an album that plays to their strengths, but also manages to move their sound on and even to drop intriguing hints about where they might be off to next. Click here to watch the video for Brianstorm

Related Links
The best Christmas CDs
4 CLIPSE Hell Hath No Fury (RCA) This long-delayed second release from the Virginian brothers was a claustrophobically edgy account of drug-dealing and paranoia, whipped up by the Neptunes into a storm of sonic inventiveness no other hip-hop release in 2007 came close to matching. Click here to listen

5 SUPER FURRY ANIMALS Hey Venus! (Rough Trade) Pardon the hyperbole, but the last time we had a band who put together albums with this level of melodic invention, lyrical wit, eclectic bravery, sheer charm and peerless quality control, it was the 1960s, they were from Liverpool, and there were four of them. Click here to listen

6 MAVIS STAPLES We’ll Never Turn Back (Anti) The gospel queen’s latest is a collection of songs that inspired the civil-rights movement in America, but if that makes it sound dry and worthy, don’t be misled. Staples’s passion combines with Ry Cooder – producing and playing guitar – to create a subtly funky soul treat. Click here to listen

7 DAVID FORD Songs for the Road (Independiente) Salvaging the male singer-songwriter tradition after years of abuse by less talented but more successful rivals, Ford provided a devastating reminder that an artist with a keening voice, an ear for melody and a willingness, lyrically, to wrestle with demons can still take the breath away. Click here to listen

8 FEIST The Reminder (Polydor) The use of her song 1234 in an iPod ad may have given her a long-deserved breakthrough, but this spine-tinglingly talented Canadian chanteuse was already a hit with many music-lovers, who wondered if she could equal the magic of the jazz- and soul-tinged Let It Die, and discovered, to their relief, that she had. Click here to listen

9 STEVEN LINDSAY Kite (Echo) This beautiful album is an antidote for all those suffering from “they don’t write songs like they used to” syndrome. Steven Lindsay does. Classic pop songwriting – somewhere near Blue Nile territory – topped off by a brilliant reworking of Pixies’ Monkey Gone to Heaven. Click here to listen

10 BRITNEY SPEARS Blackout (SonyBMG) Most chart pop plays it safe, but we can only assume that Britney’s producers reckoned there was nothing to lose on this one, and just went for it. The result is the most sonically exciting dance-pop album of the year (against, admittedly, some fairly uninspiring competition). Click here to watch the video for Gimme More

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here