Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Albion player during the "Gillingham Years"??

Peter Smith? During the Gillingham years? You're joking!

By the time we were playing at Gillingham, all he was capable of was conceding throw-ins from the most unlikely places on the pitch.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Peter Smith was an interesting player. I could not fault him for trying, at least at the Goldstone. One match I remember at the Goldstone is when we were outclassed by a Birmingham team and I think we lost 0-1, but he really did a good job, but he was right at his limit.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Gary Hart always gave 110% liked Barker as well but I can't remember to much as we used to drink to much to kill the pain of playing at Gillingham , we found a back street pub thinking we would have nice quiet time and became packed whith Seagulls fans and by the end of our time at Gillingham it had adopted us and where very upset when we moved back to Brighton they said they made more money out of us than the Gills were at home. This is part of our history now.

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea
Gary Hart always gave 110% liked Barker as well but I can't remember to much as we used to drink to much to kill the pain of playing at Gillingham , we found a back street pub thinking we would have nice quiet time and became packed whith Seagulls fans and by the end of our time at Gillingham it had adopted us and where very upset when we moved back to Brighton they said they made more money out of us than the Gills were at home. This is part of our history now.

Roseneath?

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Jeff Minton for me.
Made those horrendous journeys up there a bit more tolerable.
But I also have to put OGH, Ritchie Barker & super Rodney Thomas.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Jeff Minton, he was a real class act for us. And to prove how bad we were in those days as a professional footballer he was actually REALLY shit as he proved when he left us. Went to Port Vale (then in what is now the Championship) and failed miserably. Went to Leyton Orient and sank without trace. Until recently you could always spot the people on NSC who really knew absolutely nothing about football as they'd be the ones saying he could still do a job for us!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Minton, OGH and Thomas. If I had to choose just one I'd go for OGH

Apart from being a quality forward at that level, he played like he cared ...alot, most looked like they couldn't give a shit and they were also shit

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
Minton probably best of a really bad bunch. Marco Gabbiadini best opposing player.

Remember that game well. we were so bad and Gabbiadni just ripped us apart. Remember most of the Brighton crowd politely applauding him when he scored his hatrick goal and marco actually acknowledging the fans by raising his hand to the applause around the ground. Imagine that happening now - I think not!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Another for Minton. I was about 9 at the time, he was the definition of FLAIR to me. Wow, compare him to Bruno now.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Minton for me that the partnership of OGH and Barker would get a lot of votes from me

Rod was not far behind.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I liked the calm authority of Culverhouse. Minton was the crowd favourite and was flair by the standards we had back then. He seemed to spin in the air like Sonic the Hedgehog when knocked off the ball, which was quite often.

I remember Paul Armstrong playing at Gillingham and thinking, this lad could be superb. He's done well in non-league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here