Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Berlin

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Just wondering are FC Union the real Berliners team and Hertha the glory hunter's team ?
I remember a long time ago speaking to a German who told me this.

Last edited:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Went there in April.
Reichstag well worth a look but queues were an hour plus. Still worth it.
Hertha Berlin is some distance out of town.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It can be REALLY, REALLY cold in Berlin at this time of year ... really.

Take lots of warm clothes.

Enjoy.

This is sound advice, I've been to Berlin three times in the winter and it was bloody cold (and I don't feel the cold too much).

Can't add too much to what's been said as it sounds like HT is going to point you in the right direction. If you want to mooch around and find things on your own I agree with AG's suggestion of Prenzlauerberg - it's a good area for eating and drinking.

It's a bit of experience seeing Hertha Berlin as it's a vast stadium and they have small crowds (at least they did when I went). Going to see football in Germany is always fun as you can have a beer and a sausage while watching the game. The stadium is some way out though.

doug7126

Apr 13, 2008
Aldershot
i been a few times when i was posted in Bielefeld, as said before checkpoint charlie is good as is the museum there, also a bus tour all around the city so you can see everything and get on and off as you please. you can also get on a pub crawl from the station which is very good. and i never did it but there is a pow camp near by which you can take a tour too hope you enjoy and drink loads of warsteiner beer.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Shame he didn't accept the contract we apparently offered, I would have liked us to have kept him.

Wondergull

Nov 24, 2004
Brooklyn, New York
Awesome place. Went there in 2008 for the England game. Get yourself on the free walking tour that starts by Starbucks each afternoon by the Brandenburg Gate. I cant rate it highly enough

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just wondering are FC Union the real Berliners team and Hertha the glory hunter's team ?
I remember a long time ago speaking to a German who told me this.

I dont think this is the case.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is sound advice, I've been to Berlin three times in the winter and it was bloody cold (and I don't feel the cold too much).

Can't add too much to what's been said as it sounds like HT is going to point you in the right direction. If you want to mooch around and find things on your own I agree with AG's suggestion of Prenzlauerberg - it's a good area for eating and drinking.

It's a bit of experience seeing Hertha Berlin as it's a vast stadium and they have small crowds (at least they did when I went). Going to see football in Germany is always fun as you can have a beer and a sausage while watching the game. The stadium is some way out though.

Totally agree with Prenz. This is where I lived. It's a cracking area, plenty of fun can be found on Kastanienalle.

Hertha is out of town. It's best to go to Hauptbahnhof (which is a sight in its own right) and catch one of the many S-bahn express trains which service the ground on match days. It will take you 20-30 mins. Also, make sure you use the S-bahn on the way back. There is a 10 platform terminus at the stadium. They rack the trains up and they leave one-by-one every 5 mins back into town and clear the crowd really quickly. The U-bahn station only has two platforms and is a lot slower. Ticket are cheap as chips as well. I had a half-season ticket and after years of shit at Withers decided to treat myself, aside from 2 games against Bayern and one other, the best seats in the house were still cheaper than Withers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

And if you're a fan of modernist architecture check the Corbusier block of flats over the way from the ground.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
...oh, and get to the ground early to give time to a) check the pub with open air grill opposite the S-Bahn entrance. It's on the other side of the road to the entrance and is slightly below ground level b) walk around the grounds within the stadium gates. Do a full lap of the stadium and see the swimming pool and parade grounds.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Our friend is about 10 years too late for Tresor. There is a club which trades under this name but it is a tourist trap. The places to go these days are Watergate, Berghain, Weekend and Cookies.

gutted!!! i went 20 or so years ago and was gonna go back this year. its not the same then? its still associated with tresor records surely.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
gutted!!! i went 20 or so years ago and was gonna go back this year. its not the same then? its still associated with tresor records surely.

It's now based in the basement of a Vattenfall power plant on the south of the river just above Kruezberg. I understand the old club closed down and after a few years some new guys re-opened in a new venue. It is a poor and pale immitation of its former self. When I went it was full of tourists and had a merchandise stall selling t-shirts. I'm not sure of its current links to the record label. I was really disappointed and I know a lot of local people feel the same. I think it is the same club..but it has evolved into something which is a long way from their original ideals.....in this sense it reminded me of the Marquee club in London.

But, you will hardly struggle to find a decent club in Berlin. I've mentioed a few in a previous post.....and I have just remembered that WMF is up and running again. This is a ramshackle organisation which runs techno clubs for about 5-6 months every year in a different location every year. When I went it was in an old hospital. I've also been to an amazing electro club in Kruezberg called West Germany which was in an old dentists. Now that was fun.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's now based in the basement of a Vattenfall power plant on the south of the river just above Kruezberg. I understand the old club closed down and after a few years some new guys re-opened in a new venue. It is a poor and pale immitation of its former self. When I went it was full of tourists and had a merchandise stall selling t-shirts. I'm not sure of its current links to the record label. I was really disappointed and I know a lot of local people feel the same. I think it is the same club..but it has evolved into something which is a long way from their original ideals.....in this sense it reminded me of the Marquee club in London.

But, you will hardly struggle to find a decent club in Berlin. I've mentioed a few in a previous post.....and I have just remembered that WMF is up and running again. This is a ramshackle organisation which runs techno clubs for about 5-6 months every year in a different location every year. When I went it was in an old hospital. I've also been to an amazing electro club in Kruezberg called West Germany which was in an old dentists. Now that was fun.

But it still plays trouser shaking techno. I was beaten to a pulp after 2 hours in the basement. I had to go to Watergate afterwards and recover with some minimal.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I will certainly try and check some of them out.

It's forecast -10 for Saturday, ruddy hell I dodn't think it got quite that cold.

:ohmy:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Spent a week there in August. Loved it.

Incredibly chilled out capital city. Going to be cold though :)

One thing I don't think that has been mentioned is the Stasi Museum. That's pretty good. If you do fancy that, watch 'The Lives of Others' (if you haven't already) first.

One nice German restaurant I went to there is called 'Schwarzwaldstuben' on Oranienburger Strasse in Mitte. Great staff/food/beer.

Oh, and the women are top notch.

Have fun.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
From my friend in Berlin's facebook this week :

Attachments

• berlin.jpg
    berlin.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 58

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Union is the main team from the East. I went to Hertha a few years ago in the second division and there was only 10,000 there in the huge Olympia Stadion, so guess you could say glory hunters (though german 2nd Division crowds have got larger generally). The problem with going to see Union is the hugher chance of it being sold out as their stadium's much smaller (almost all terraces too) and they are doing well at the moment in Div 2. Hertha would be easy to get in to, but they are rooted to the bottom of the Bundesliga at the moment.

And Hertha play in blue and white stripes (Union in red and white stripes).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here