Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bergkamp signing confirmed

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
A "Plan B" signing I think. A big lad who can provide an outlet and make a nuisance of himself when we are under pressure.

And yes, the end of any talk of re-signing Chris Wood I would think.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ghost Ship

Lets hope he isn't scared of flying as we will be in Europe next season!

I declare this new beer "The Flying Dutchman".

Dennis was named after Denis Law. Our player probably got his name from Roland Rat?

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
Well I'm certainly excited to see the lad join. I'm quite sure Gus :bowdown: knows what he is doing and hopes to develop the lad in to his style of football. The Dutch have always had technical ability it's now a case of turning him in to a decent player. Probably not a PL player, but might be suited to Championship - time will tell.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
First of all it's certainly worth the risk.

I get the impression he won't be a starter but the guy is 20. He still has some beefing up to go through, be it naturally and through gym work so that will be interesting to see.

I just hope people don't get on his back if he doesn't score. Kevin Davies is hardly prolific but is a selfless team player. I get the idea that this is the exact player BERGY will be (minus the heading ability as of yet).

Also considering his age, it puts into perspective just HOW GOOD Ashley Barnes' goalscoring record has been for us for someone his age.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I think that he's more than just here for development. He won't be first choice every game, but I think anyone who's been called up to the Dutch U21 squad, and scored a few in their top flight, will certainly be pushing Barnes for a starting place.

(This isn't a dig at Barnes btw, I'm a big fan, just think Bergkamp could be just as good...)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm confused... I thought he was a free agent? Or is that age below 23 or whatever type signing?

"Albion have signed striker Roland Bergkamp for an undisclosed fee from Dutch Eredivisie side Excelsior on a two-year deal - subject to international clearance."

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
I'm confused... I thought he was a free agent? Or is that age below 23 or whatever type signing?

"Albion have signed striker Roland Bergkamp for an undisclosed fee from Dutch Eredivisie side Excelsior on a two-year deal - subject to international clearance."

You have to pay compensation if the free agent was offered a contract by his previous club and is under 25. So the undiclosed fee was probably just a token amount to prevent the fee being decided by a panel.

Viva Calderon

Apr 29, 2010
Viva Gus!.. Viva The Albion! .. Viva Bergkamp! ... & Viva Calderon!!! Viva Viva Viva the Amex !!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You have to pay compensation if the free agent was offered a contract by his previous club and is under 25. So the undiclosed fee was probably just a token amount to prevent the fee being decided by a panel.

Cheers mate.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I think that he's more than just here for development. He won't be first choice every game, but I think anyone who's been called up to the Dutch U21 squad, and scored a few in their top flight, will certainly be pushing Barnes for a starting place.

(This isn't a dig at Barnes btw, I'm a big fan, just think Bergkamp could be just as good...)

I agree with this. I find it hard to believe that he'd turn down a contract with his current club in the Dutch top flight (and for whom he's been on the edge of the first XI) to come and sign a contract here as definite 4th choice (or even worse in the development squad). I think he'll start a good proportion of our games.

sotonseagull

Feb 8, 2008
southampton
Why do people want to see him in a no. 10 shirt?? This is not Dennis!
Poyet says he doesn't want Roland to be compared to his uncle.
Not terribly impressed with this signing, he will need to prove himself, work hard and get used to English football quick. Chris Wood part 2?!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
A signing on the BHA theme.

Barnes Hoskins Adgestein

Fits in well - now we need two strikers with the surname beginning H and A. Any ideas?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here