Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bergkamp joins Brighton

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Sounds like another exciting prospect for the development squad.

Oh behave! Surely not. I can barely get my head around the new stadium, the ST sales, spending £1m+ on players, but if we are bringing in Dutch U21 players with top flight experience for our DEVELOPMENT SQUAD, then I think my head will explode.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
We have a great record in taking players from Holland: Hans Kraay, Dean Wilkins & err...Mark Farrington (also from the good city of Rotterdam where his 4 in 28 was enough for us to snap him up).

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
We are potentially signing a player in the top flight dutch league who playes for the dutch under 21 side and people are moaning. Unbelievable.

I know nothing about Bergkamp the younger, but coming from the dutch top flight is no guarantee of quality. We signed Mark Farrington from FEYENOORD. We have no idea about the lad, he could be a tremendous player signed for the first team or another player for the development squad. Let's wait and see before building him up, only to then tear him down when he doesn't have the impact of uncle Dennis.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Oh behave! Surely not. I can barely get my head around the new stadium, the ST sales, spending £1m+ on players, but if we are bringing in Dutch U21 players with top flight experience for our DEVELOPMENT SQUAD, then I think my head will explode.

Very this. It is amazing how fans horizons have shifted in only a few months!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I've become unjustifiably excited about this signing, even though it's not actually Dennis and it's not official.

WE'RE GONNA WIN THE LEAGUE!

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;4190847 said:
You sound surprised? This brought to you by the website where a large section of our spacky supporters seriously expected us to sign Michael Owen and Craig Mackail-Smith.

Don't be silly....... they were saying Owen and Heskey (CMS was back up I think)

Last edited:

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
I know nothing about Bergkamp the younger, but coming from the dutch top flight is no guarantee of quality. We signed Mark Farrington from FEYENOORD. We have no idea about the lad, he could be a tremendous player signed for the first team or another player for the development squad. Let's wait and see before building him up, only to then tear him down when he doesn't have the impact of uncle Dennis.

God help me for saying this but I liked Mark Farrington, he never got a good run in the side, but I remember him scoring 2 against Blackpool I think on a Tues/Weds evening.......!!!!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
This is what my Ajax season ticket holding mate says....

Absolutely useless.... On the plus side he's related to Dennis.... Good signing for Brighton

Hmmm

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
The word 'joins' suggest it has already happened. Why has it not been mentioned anywhere else?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
How many starts?
How good was the team he played for?
How many 5/10 minute cameo appearances?
Was he used is his strongest position or in a different role?

7 goals in 25 starts and 9 substitute appearances, so 34 appearances (Including 4 relegation play-off games). That's in a side who finished 16th out of 18 teams in the Eredivisie, so a poor side. Not bad, but apart from the top 2/3 teams i'm unable to comment on the quality of that league.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
God help me for saying this but I liked Mark Farrington, he never got a good run in the side, but I remember him scoring 2 against Blackpool I think on a Tues/Weds evening.......!!!!

Unfortunately the game had finished the previous Saturday !!

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Isn't the dutch league bar the top 2 or 3 just like the scotish league ? This club we have signed him from havea capacity of 3k ?

Any dutch know it alls on here ?

Werner, by chance? :bigwave:

The second best thing heard on Radio Sussex's football coverage last season - bar the commentary of Bridcutt's winner against Carlisle, of course! :thumbsup:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
His played 54 top flight games and scored 8 goals for a striker that is woeful

Bit misleading to be fair.

He played one season at age 18 breaking into the team in the Eerste Divisie (First division). He played 23 games plus 3 in the play-offs and scored 3 with 3 assists - not too bad a start at that age.
They were promoted to the Eredivisie (equivalent to our Premier league but in standard it has a range similar to the Scottish Premier). Last August he made his Eredivisie debut. Aged 19 he played his first full season in the Dutch top flight playing 28 games (21 starts and 7 as sub) scoring 5 goals with 2 assists. They then had a (successful) relegation play offs where he played 4 games and scored 2 goals. Interestingly, from a total 25 starts last year he was only subbed off 6 times which is actually very good for a young centre forward in a side that was struggling to punch above it's weight (Excelsior's stadium capacity is only about 3,500!). All-in-all I would say that is pretty useful for a young prospect and if he adapts well and given logical progression he could very easily "do a Barnes" this season and next.

The good news for many will be that at 6'3" he is quite possibly the target man that many have suggested we need and would presumably mean that we would no longer be looking to Chris Wood.

Roland Bergkamp - Total performance data - transfermarkt.co.uk

All in all I think this is a very good signing indeed and as Gus promised he is certainly "a name fans will recognise" and quite possibly someone who will "excite fans in the city".

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Dads Army Frazier - doomed.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here