Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bennett's Field

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Seems odd that the Albion appear to be using the Bennett’s field casually for the building of the fan zone, or at least storing or some of the construction materials, but not for use during match days for parking whilst the current owners ponder the start of the new student accommodation build. Seems to be a missed opportunity for the current owner to get some revenue until it’s developed. I wonder if Mr Bloom sees this as a possible site to squeeze in a ground for the women’s side? Would the land be big enough for a 6 to 8k stadium? I guess a fair bit of site levelling would be required to squeeze it in if it were possible. Could explain the lack of development so far and the fact the club once again have limited access to the land at the moment.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I get that. I meant the ‘Co’ to be the developer as I’m not sure if Bennett has sold it completely or still retains an interest.

Been a while since I looked at it but Mr Bennett hasn’t sold the land and retained an interest I seem to recall. Think it was something along the lines of him and developer joined forces to create a company that was going to own and run the student flats.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Seems odd that the Albion appear to be using the Bennett’s field casually for the building of the fan zone, or at least storing or some of the construction materials, but not for use during match days for parking whilst the current owners ponder the start of the new student accommodation build. Seems to be a missed opportunity for the current owner to get some revenue until it’s developed. I wonder if Mr Bloom sees this as a possible site to squeeze in a ground for the women’s side? Would the land be big enough for a 6 to 8k stadium? I guess a fair bit of site levelling would be required to squeeze it in if it were possible. Could explain the lack of development so far and the fact the club once again have limited access to the land at the moment.

Don’t think it’s big enough for a stadium, even a small one

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wonder if there is a funding delay? The days of cheap development money was a long time ago and it does have a significant effect on developer’s bottom lines.

That would probably be the reason for the delay. The developer will end up paying less to Bennett, as their residual value calculation will maintain their profit on the development regardless.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Been a while since I looked at it but Mr Bennett hasn’t sold the land and retained an interest I seem to recall. Think it was something along the lines of him and developer joined forces to create a company that was going to own and run the student flats.
Downing say they have acquired the site.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Sorry?! They are moving out of the whole campus - that's fairly huge?! Or just a certain building? If i recall a lot of that site is similar age to The Amex itself?
A few facts to aid this discussion.

1. The University of Brighton is certainly not moving away from the Falmer site.

2. The University of Brighton has NO buildings on the old Lewes Rd Barracks site. Whilst they did acquire this land from the cancel, it was quickly leased out to developers (200 yr+ terms) who have built 3 blocks or private student accommodation, an office/workplace rental unit and around a dozen other largely unfinished buildings that will accommodate private apartments along with retail and hospitality units. The majority of these unfinished buildings have been passed on to other 3rd party developers due to the original developers running out of cash (because of the pandemic & Brexit etc).

3. The parcel of land (rugby pitch) between the UoB academic buildings and the Trainline is big enough for a small (well under 20k) football stadium.

4. It’s unlikely any deal to release this land would be struck prior to the appointment (incoming) of the new UoB Vice Chancellor. Probably next year, perhaps Easter.

5. Much of the UoB Falmer campus is indeed only a few years older than the Amex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here