Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bennett's Field

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
You can let go an opportunity
Yeh, my best guess is that when the time is right the land will come into Tony's ownership, but two things. He clearly won't be held to ransom over it and there would have to be a wider plan over and above just additional matchday parking

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Absolutely this. No one wants anything built anywhere so everything is refused. Ludicrous process.

These are just some of the approvals i can be bothered to find, so your comments about everything being refused is a little disingenuous 😂

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Yeh, my best guess is that when the time is right the land will come into Tony's ownership, but two things. He clearly won't be held to ransom over it and there would have to be a wider plan over and above just additional matchday parking
Hasn't the land already been sold by Mr Bennett to a construction company that after appeal won the right to build this student housing? And so Tony has kind of missed (maybe willingly) any opportunity to buy the land. Or am i misunderstanding the current situation?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I hope you're right.

Agree.

Agree (Hotel?)

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Hasn't the land already been sold by Mr Bennett to a construction company that after appeal won the right to build this student housing? And so Tony has kind of missed (maybe willingly) any opportunity to buy the land. Or am i misunderstanding the current situation?
No, you're correct.

However, up until the point the building starts, it (the land and with it the planning permission which could easily be amended from student housing to a hotel..) can change hands....

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
No, you're correct.

However, up until the point the building starts, it (the land and with it the planning permission which could easily be amended from student housing to a hotel..) can change hands....
Not sure charging PP would be that easy. There is no parking at the student flats for one thing.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
How can he let go of something he’s never owned?
Assume if TB was willing to pay same price as the developer has, the owner would have agreed to sell to him as it would have been more straight forward and not sbject to planning. One would have thought with the income we have got in he would not less this go.. Of course I suppose there is always possibility TB and oowner fell out and refused to deal with each other. Maybe like DeZeri last interview with TB we will never know,

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He’ll probably just buy the developer outright 🤣

Last edited:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It feels to me that there was a concerted effort on the part of the builders, landowners and council NOT to allow Bloom to buy and develop it.... heaven knows what drives this anti Albion sentiment.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I think I'm right in saying that Mr Bennett is actually a Brighton supporter – someone close to me knows him a little bit and that was definitely what was reported back to me a while ago. But perhaps he's a businessman first and foremost.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think I'm right in saying that Mr Bennett is actually a Brighton supporter – someone close to me knows him a little bit and that was definitely what was reported back to me a while ago. But perhaps he's a businessman first and foremost.
If Mr Bennett wanted to sell his land to Tony Bloom, he’d have done it back in 2009. My impression has been he’s always said no. He was happy collecting rent whilst it was a car park but knew the value of his parcel of land was always going to increase.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If Mr Bennett wanted to sell his land to Tony Bloom, he’d have done it back in 2009. My impression has been he’s always said no. He was happy collecting rent whilst it was a car park but knew the value of his parcel of land was always going to increase.
And who could blame him?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
All gone very quiet on the new student housing plan. Any news? That carpark is becoming more of an eyesore..
I think they’ve missed the boat if they want to house students.

Universities are having huge issues enrolling new students.

From circa 22,000 students 10 years ago, the University of Brighton will be lucky to have much more than 15,000 this year. I can’t see Sussex having that many more with the new restrictions on foreign students.

Domestic 2nd & 3rd year students simply don’t want to live in these overpriced private dorms, they are way too expensive. The preference is shared HMO’s in town.

I would guess that Bennett & Co are going to sit on this application until the landscape changes. I wonder if there is a sunset clause in the planning permission. I can’t see them investing in the buildings until they have more certainty over student numbers and what sort of ROI they’ll get in the future.

Meanwhile, they lose in short-term as the rental from the football club is no longer an income stream.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think they’ve missed the boat if they want to house students.

Universities are having huge issues enrolling new students.

From circa 22,000 students 10 years ago, the University of Brighton will be lucky to have much more than 15,000 this year. I can’t see Sussex having that many more with the new restrictions on foreign students.

Domestic 2nd & 3rd year students simply don’t want to live in these overpriced private dorms, they are way too expensive. The preference is shared HMO’s in town.

I would guess that Bennett & Co are going to sit on this application until the landscape changes. I wonder if there is a sunset clause in the planning permission. I can’t see them investing in the buildings until they have more certainty over student numbers and what sort of ROI they’ll get in the future.

Meanwhile, they lose in short-term as the rental from the football club is no longer an income stream.

Usually it would be a land sale to a student housing developer/provider, once there’s planning permission. Bennett wouldn’t have the resources or expertise to take part. I’ve seen the deals.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Usually it would be a land sale to a student housing developer/provider, once there’s planning permission. Bennett wouldn’t have the resources or expertise to take part. I’ve seen the deals.
I get that. I meant the ‘Co’ to be the developer as I’m not sure if Bennett has sold it completely or still retains an interest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here