Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Just to add a bit of perspective from a Leeds point of view. It seems whatever happens will now be sorted in the next few days as we need to move on if the deal isn’t going to happen. What is clear is that Ben wants to come and from my understanding the offer on the table will be our final one. I’m hearing it’s 25m rising to 30m possibly 35m down the line. Personally I think it’s a lot to pay and I can’t see a better offer coming in from anyone else. I understand and respect that he’s your player and I’m sure TB will do as he see’s fit. I guess the next step in all of this now is for Ben to put a transfer request in and then it’s whether you guys want a player who wants away to be potentially going for cheaper this time next season due to his contract running down.

I’d personally love him to come as he was truly outstanding for us last season and I have no doubt at all he can handle the step up to the prem. That said I’m also confident that the alternative we’re looking at in Koch who would be 15m cheaper would be excellent too under Bielsa’s guidance. The difference is White is already upto speed with us so there’s no risk of needing to bed him in. Whatever happens I’ll always be thankful for last season and how he helped finally get us back up.

I've be waiting 50 years to tell Don Revie to **** off .... so **** off

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Reading their forum suggests otherwise. Go have a look at the Leeds and Bielsa threads on redcafe.

If you looked on here you may take the impression that Brighton cared about Leeds.

We don't.

We're pointing and laughing.

DonRevie

Aug 19, 2020
Leeds
I can't help but think that there may well be a link between whether White goes to Leeds and whether Bielsa stays. It seems quite possible that Bielsa has made it a condition of him staying that White should also transfer in and that he would see a failure to secure White as a marker of Leeds inability to attract the players he needs to continue performing miracles (for surely he is the son of God) and thus not a club that would be able to match his player transfer commandments and thus not a club with whom he should invest any more of his divine time. Just saying.

I’ve read a few posts on here suggesting Bielsa isn’t signing his contract and I’m not sure where the idea of this has come from. Not a chance in hell he leaves us this season. Bielsa does things different, always has...he doesn’t put importance on himself and his contracts, he’s a man of his word and expects the same in return as if you read anything about his history you’ll see. The contract is agreed and likely was weeks ago, there’s no panic here with it not being announced yet. Also White coming or not will have zero influence on it, he knows this has always been out of our hands.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Just to add a bit of perspective from a Leeds point of view. It seems whatever happens will now be sorted in the next few days as we need to move on if the deal isn’t going to happen. What is clear is that Ben wants to come and from my understanding the offer on the table will be our final one. I’m hearing it’s 25m rising to 30m possibly 35m down the line. Personally I think it’s a lot to pay and I can’t see a better offer coming in from anyone else. I understand and respect that he’s your player and I’m sure TB will do as he see’s fit. I guess the next step in all of this now is for Ben to put a transfer request in and then it’s whether you guys want a player who wants away to be potentially going for cheaper this time next season due to his contract running down.

I’d personally love him to come as he was truly outstanding for us last season and I have no doubt at all he can handle the step up to the prem. That said I’m also confident that the alternative we’re looking at in Koch who would be 15m cheaper would be excellent too under Bielsa’s guidance. The difference is White is already upto speed with us so there’s no risk of needing to bed him in. Whatever happens I’ll always be thankful for last season and how he helped finally get us back up.

Why do Leeds fans think that if White stays at Albion this window, that he'll simply refuse to sign a new contract? There is absolutely no way on earth that he would remain at Albion and "run his contract down". To think that, you would have to be mind-bogglingly stupid (or deluded). I don't get it. :shrug:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Where do you get White wants to go to Leeds? I have never seen any mention of that other than from Leeds fans. If I was in Whites shoes and It was true, I would have already asked for a transfer instead of waiting time at Brighton.
We can wait another year of two regarding his contract.
We loaned White to you, you have paid his wages, supposedly made him into the player he is now, upper his value by doing this, and by all the needy tweets, # tags and
petitions over inflated his transfer value more. Thank you for that move along we will take it from here.

The one night stand really thought it was love.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Why do Leeds fans think that if White stays at Albion this window, that he'll simply refuse to sign a new contract? There is absolutely no way on earth that he would remain at Albion and "run his contract down". To think that, you would have to be mind-bogglingly stupid (or deluded). I don't get it. :shrug:

I didnt think that was optional for Leeds fans

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Yep. And we all know how our club operates under Bloom. Everything firmly behind closed doors, slowly moving forward, nothing irrational or knee jerk. The club will be acting extremely professionally with White over the matter.

No need for us to be worried about anything anyway, we hold all the cards. Whatever happens in the end, it'll smell of roses for us. I think, in reality, that's what's winding the Leeds fans up so much. Deep down they know it, but refuse to accept it. That's what's making it so entertaining for us, which the Leeds fans also refuse to accept.

You know, I've been thinking about this a lot.

Some Leeds fans are smart, but they keep their mouths shut because it's not worth going against the mob.

The deluded fans are in an echo chamber and repeat the same script over and over again.
It's like five talking points or more or something:

1. Brighton fans carted him off to Leeds! (Noel Whelan quote, who has been denounced on here by some Leeds fans anyway).
Noel Whelan knows exactly how important the loan system is for developing young players, he just wants to remain relevant.
Our own Jason Molumby knows what loans are for. All our young lads want to get game time until they are good enough.
Leeds fans have no idea how a loan system works. They'll be loaning players out this season. Wonder if they expect them to come back?
Ben White's progress was actually perfect. Newport (L2) -> Peterborough (L1) -> Leeds (C).
DEBUNKED!

2. Brighton fans didn't know who he was until he did well at Leeds!
We are kept up to date by the club on our youngsters.
They didn't think he was worthy of licking Pontus Jansson's feet.
Until the first game against Bristol City and then they started to realise his talent.
I was excited at the time and read some of their tweets.
DE-bloomin-BUNKED!

3. Bielsa made him!
No, 22yrs of grinding made him.
2 years at Southampton and 6 years at Brighton made him.
Did he get game time? Yes
Did he improve? I've no doubt.
Did he help Leeds win promotion and title? Absolutely. He played every minute or every game.
Was it a mutually beneficial arrangement? Yes.
Great loan, per the loan system.
Also this: https://imgur.com/a/8DQe7Q5
Debunked ZZZzzzzzzz

4. He'd rather play for Bielsa than Harry Potter!
He'd be fine with either I think.
Only issue is Bielsa's future. No way he'll be there beyond a year based on his history. Hasn't even signed a contract.
Klopp and Pep and many other managers have lauded Potter.
And of course Potter took Östersund from the 4th Tier of Swedish football to the Top Tier and into Europe where they defeated Galatasary and beat Arsenal at the Emirates 2:1.
Leeds fans have literally no idea how well run our club is and why we chose Potter.
Wow this is getting boring. Debunked.

5. He wants to join Leeds.
Irrelevant and there are no indicators of this.
There is no doubt in my mind he had an absolutely unforgettable experience.
He thoroughly enjoyed and got his first taste of celebrity.
Was part of a successful team,
Made friends etc.
I would never deny these things because I'm not deluded.
These moments happen to successful people in life, and they move on, or back to their parent club in this case.
Remaining popular with Leeds fans is important. There's a lot of them. They raise your social media following and popularity and therefore your marketability and what you can do for the club.
Here's what Liverpool's young Brewster said after returning to Anfield from Wales earlier this month: “I have loved every moment of it, I love the club, I love the fans, I love the staff, I love everybody here. I don’t know what is going to happen next year but if I don’t come back Swansea will always be in my heart. I’ll be Swansea forever and I will always keep tabs on them no matter what."
irrelevant and deeeeeeeebloodybunked

6. He should force a move, put in a transfer request, refuse to play.
And ruin his career just as it's getting started?
He has no leverage. He's not on Neymar's wages or contract.
He's contracted for 2 more years and an option for Brighton to take a 3rd (Potter said he's on a long contract).
If he sat out in the U23s his wages wouldn't have an impact on the club.
Why would we strengthen Leeds both literally and psychologically? They so desperately need him. I'd rather keep Leeds below us. Being in the Premier League is worth more than any offer they are likely to make.
d d d d d d debunked

7. They are playing hardball, they have put an outrageous price on his head of $30m, $40m, $55m.
Nope haven't placed a price on his head.
Don't want to sell him.
diddlybunked as Flanders would say

I can't think of the other talking points. Let me know. I'd been meaning to make this list for a while. It's cathartic.

Last edited:

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
[MENTION=41615]DonRevie[/MENTION] I don't get all this hype from Leeds fans about Bielsa. He only ever stays about 2 years at any club, so should be sign a new contract with Leeds that's an achievement, he left Italy after days, citing not getting the backing from the club regarding transfer, are you worried if White don't sign he will go?
For all his time in management 6 trophies is not alot, minor ones apart from winning a poor championship. Comparing what Potter has achieved, I am more impressed with our man instead of bucketman.
I would like Bielsa to stay with you this season, just to see how good he is.

Last edited:

DonRevie

Aug 19, 2020
Leeds
It’s a gamble now for TB if he does stay tho, this whole saga means he’d be on massively improved wages on a new contract and as much as I believe he has the ability to go to the top he’s still unproven in the Prem. The money we’re offering might never come again for him and considering you guys are operating at a huge loss, (10th biggest in Europe and 2nd biggest in England) it’s a gamble and currently the best offer on the table, infact its the only offer.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I’ve read a few posts on here suggesting Bielsa isn’t signing his contract and I’m not sure where the idea of this has come from. Not a chance in hell he leaves us this season. Bielsa does things different, always has...he doesn’t put importance on himself and his contracts, he’s a man of his word and expects the same in return as if you read anything about his history you’ll see. The contract is agreed and likely was weeks ago, there’s no panic here with it not being announced yet. Also White coming or not will have zero influence on it, he knows this has always been out of our hands.

Bielsa "doesn't put importance on .. his contracts" you say. "The contract is agreed and likely was weeks ago.." you say.

:lol::lol:

Well, this is from the Athletic on Aug 5:-

Orta could chat about Bielsa all day but it seems sensible to start by nailing down the matter of the 65-year-old’s contract.

The 12-month extension Bielsa signed last summer is up and Leeds are in the process of trying to renew it. Neither side of the negotiation expects the discussions to fail but there is no such thing as a quick resolution with Bielsa. As Leeds found when they first appointed him (and almost missed the deadline to apply for his work permit), he won’t be rushed. He will not sign until the terms of his contract are crystal clear.

Yep, sounds like he doesn't put importance on his contract to me :lol::lol::lol:

And from Phil Hay in the Athletic on Aug 7:-

When do you expect Marcelo Bielsa to sign? (Alexandra M and many, many others)

Let’s get down to brass tacks with this one because it’s evidently the burning issue for everyone. My understanding is that Leeds and Bielsa are essentially agreed on the terms of an extension for next season. Unless something goes wrong over the weekend, the contract should be finalised and put in place before the players resume training on Wednesday. The length of time taken to get this done shouldn’t be a surprise. Neither of his previous contract negotiations with Leeds were quick and both Bielsa’s deal and his expectations can be complex. But Leeds are confident and his camp are confident. The bottom line: the club cannot afford for this process to fail and they know that.

So, more than a WEEK after your club's main reporter expected everything to be all sealed and delivered, still no word. :lol::lol::lol:

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Some Leeds fans who are smart, but they keep their mouths shut because it's not worth going against the mob.

The deluded fans are in an echo chamber and repeat the same script over and over again.

1. Brighton fans carted him off to Leeds! (Noel Whelan quote, who has been denounced on here by some Leeds fans anyway).
Noel Whelan knows exactly how important the loan system is for developing young players, he just wants to remain relevant.
Our own Jason Molumby knows what loans are for. All our young lads want to get game time until they are good enough.
Leeds fans have no idea how a loan system works. They'll be loaning players out this season. Wonder if they expect them to come back?
Ben White's progress was actually perfect. Newport (L2) -> Peterborough (L1) -> Leeds (C).
DEBUNKED!

Until the first game against Bristol City and then they started to realise his talent.
DE-bloomin-BUNKED!

3. Bielsa made him!
Did he help Leeds win promotion and title? Absolutely. He played every minute or every game.
Debunked ZZZzzzzzzz

Only issue is Bielsa's future. No way he'll be there beyond a year based on his history. Hasn't even signed a contract.
And of course Potter took Östersund from the 4th Tier of Swedish football to the Top Tier and into Europe where they defeated Galatasary and beat Arsenal at the Emirates 2:1.
Leeds fans have literally no idea how well run our club is and why we chose Potter.

Made friends etc.
These moments happen to successful people in life, and they move on, or back to their parent club in this case.
Remaining popular with Leeds fans is important. There's a lot of them. They raise your social media following and popularity and therefore your marketability and what you can do for the club.
Here's what Liverpool's young Brewster said after returning to Anfield from Wales earlier this month: “I have loved every moment of it, I love the club, I love the fans, I love the staff, I love everybody here. I don’t know what is going to happen next year but if I don’t come back Swansea will always be in my heart. I’ll be Swansea forever and I will always keep tabs on them no matter what."

He's contracted for 2 more years and an option for Brighton to take a 3rd (Potter said he's on a long contract).
Why would we strengthen Leeds both literally and psychologically? They so desperately need him. I'd rather keep Leeds below us. Being in the Premier League is worth more than any offer they are likely to make.
d d d d d d debunked

7. They are playing hardball, they have put an outrageous price on his head of $30m, $40m, $55m.
Don't want to sell him.

I can't think of the other talking points. Let me know. I'd been meaning to make this list for a while. It's cathartic.

But it's Leeds.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It’s a gamble now for TB if he does stay tho, this whole saga means he’d be on massively improved wages on a new contract and as much as I believe he has the ability to go to the top he’s still unproven in the Prem. The money we’re offering might never come again for him and considering you guys are operating at a huge loss, (10th biggest in Europe and 2nd biggest in England) it’s a gamble and currently the best offer on the table, infact its the only offer.

You know you've entered some sort of bizarre twilight zone when a Leeds fan tries to take the high ground and lecture on financial prudence.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Lols

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

WE DON'T WANT TO ****ING SELL! Why is that so hard to grasp?

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand

Some Leeds fans who are smart, but they keep their mouths shut because it's not worth going against the mob.

DEBUNKED!

DE-bloomin-BUNKED!

3. Bielsa made him!
Debunked ZZZzzzzzzz

Made friends etc.

d d d d d d debunked

Don't want to sell him.

Well done sir.

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I know for certain he wants the move mate. I’m not just guessing at that either, I’m good friends myself with someone he’s recently been away on holiday with is all I’ll say. Doesn’t mean it’ll happen by any stretch as i’m sure if you guys make it clear he’s not going then he will have to honour that and rightly so. There’s also no way on earth that we’d be putting bids in for him if he hadn’t given the club the indication he wants to come.

At the end of the day the ball is in your court now but I do think it’s more than a fair price for him.

I mean, if he really wanted the move, he would just go and sit in the chairmans office for hours on end until it happened.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It’s a gamble now for TB if he does stay tho,

I'm sure the billionaire Tony Bloom welcomes your advice.

16 years out of the Premier League (most of which was in the guise of a financial basket case) and Leeds fans are now offering a financial advisory service to football owners.

Even your owner aspires to run his club like Brighton does.

:lolol:

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

We owe money to our owner, that man who is a lifelong fan, funded the stadium and best training complex around.

Your the club who went into administration, I doubt we will be taking financial advice from Leeds.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Reading their forum suggests otherwise. Go have a look at the Leeds and Bielsa threads on redcafe.

Would it be fair to say though that for a Leeds fan, the games against Man Utd will be the most eagerly anticipated?
I'm not sure that Man Utd would say it's Leeds. But anyway...

Serious question, as you seem quite considered in your answers, do you think that the Koch transfer is wrapped up now? That is, last throw of the dice for White, the bid probably won't be accepted, and we then move onto Koch. Fee agreed for Koch and terms agreed with player?
From my perspective I'd say the one danger in the very open way the bids have gone in for White is that any other CB that Leeds go for will know that they were 2nd choice. I think it adds a risk to the process that doesn't need to be there.
If it had been a simple enquiry to Brighton at the end of the season along the lines of ' is White for sale, and if so what price will you accept?' Then this could have been moved on from far quicker and without the associated speculation when we say 'no, he's not'.
By making these bids so public it just seems as if Leeds are trying to create a storm which may ultimately lead to the player driving the move.
That's not happened and won't, because we have a reputation for not caving in to player demands.
So, I don't see why Leeds have taken this approach.
It also seems that the Leeds hierarchy ( not Bielsa ) is like a sieve in terms of speculation about players they are interested in eg benhrama , Watkins, etc. It just comes across as trying to appease the fans that they are very active in trying to do transfer business. The problem with this approach is that it doesn't look great when players go elsewhere or want to stay at clubs, eg Foyth at Spurs who apparently has turned down advances from Leeds.
Perhaps it's an approach which we are not used to at Brighton as we do our transfer business on the quiet as far as we can.

Any thoughts?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here