Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Sherman? Is that Tanks alterego?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
any one else heard this ???

Nope, but one of the very few ICONIC names that could go on there. Apart from being West Ham sloppy seconds, that is. But not all that much by way of a local connection surely? And please God NOT Vegetarian Shoes...

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Although I don’t believe it for one second that this will be the next sponsor
your actual Mr Ben Sherman did once live in a big house in Bolney.

I know this because my Dad repaired his roof. This would have been around the mid 70’s.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
But not all that much by way of a local connection surely?

Actually the founder was a friend of my dad. So Ben Sherman is very much from Brighton.

The company was founded in 1963 by Arthur Bernard Sugarman (1925-1987), who was born in Brighton as a son of a Jewish salesman. He emigrated to the United States in 1946 via Canada and changed his nationality to American. He married the daughter of a Californian clothes producer and went back to Brighton later where he bought a concourse shirt factory

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
American Express Head office is in Brighton isn't it? and i don't think they sponsor anybody else

This comes up every time we have this discussion.

Amex have NO interest in football sponsorship. Their sporting interests are solely for games and events that Americans enjoy (golf tournaments being one of their favourites).

They've had that big ugly box in Brighton for over 30 years and never shown an interest in the past.

Apart from anything else football is still seen as a sport predominantly enjoyed by the working classes, and regardless of how inaccurate this may be today they're still not going to associate themselves with something so common when they're always bleating on about being oh so exclusive (despite the fact that in practise this really isn't the case anymore)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
This comes up every time we have this discussion.

Amex have NO interest in football sponsorship. Their sporting interests are solely for games and events that Americans enjoy (golf tournaments being one of their favourites).

They've had that big ugly box in Brighton for over 30 years and never shown an interest in the past.

Apart from anything else football is still seen as a sport predominantly enjoyed by the working classes, and regardless of how inaccurate this may be today they're still not going to associate themselves with something so common when they're always bleating on about being oh so exclusive (despite the fact that in practise this really isn't the case anymore)

all of which makes me really glad that I haven't got one of their cruddy cards:tosser:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
There are the many mod links with Brighton that might appeal to Ben Sherman's marketing dept, although to be honest it all sounds like B.S. to me and we ain't talkin' Ben Sherman here if you know what I mean pop pickers. A more likely sponsor would be The General Sherman, the fish Homer managed to land when he and Marge went away to some riverside marriage guidance place, the Flanders were also there along with Millhouse's parents and against Marge's express wishes Homer went to catch the legendary General Sherman, but later chucked it back if me mammory serves.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I dont think ben sherman would want their name on a shirt manufactured by another company, would they?

who me?

Jan 12, 2007
once pure bred brighton label, those I.T.K in the 70's could pick up the latest designs from a shop up george street,for special clients(like me)they would send a runner to the factory in the north lanes. BUT now owned by an irish company and made in china.

still a great brand and i am wearing one now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here