Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bellotti said history would judge them

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bellotti said history would judge them

Billy the Fish said:
FFS. That is either a wind up or you're not old enough to have been there. If not you are just very very stupid.

Read it in the context of what i was replying to! Why Archer "had to" sell the Goldstone! :salute: :salute:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Re: Re: Re: Bellotti said history would judge them

Dave the Gaffer said:
I dont think they had any choice did they?

Stanley wanted his money out and the bills were mounting up.....but perhaps Paul S or Alan can remember the exact details.
They sold the ground without telling us and when they were asked about it flatly denied it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Bellotti said history would judge them

3gulls said:
Archer was minted and could have invested his money in the Club? Probably not so inclined to do that with the crowd after his head! :nono:
That is probably the funniest, worst, most idiotic re-writing of history.

What a f***ing numpty.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

The Large One said:
They sold the ground without telling us and when they were asked about it flatly denied it.

you missed out the punchline

The "cockjuggling thundercunts"

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Oh yeah, and the deal had already been done with Portsmouth to groundshare there when Archer came in and tore it up because he thought it was too far away. So he took us to Gillingham instead - or rather Paul Scally approached Bill Archer and offered us groundshare use.

The league only accepted it when it was seen that Bill Archer would be moved aside because they wanted assurances that the club would be making immediate plans to move back to within eight miles of Brighton, and with Bill Archer at the helm, there was no chance of that happening.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bellotti said history would judge them

Benny Zamora said:
And Pevvers - you make it sound like we should somehow think less of the Archerlotti because their planning application for Toad's Hole Valley was smaller than the Falmer one. Presumably you've enjoyed the endless wait the detail of the current plans has caused us? :nono:

I've enjoyed the fact that it's actually going to get us a ground. Unlike anything else.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

3gulls said:
Archer was minted and could have invested his money in the Club? Probably not so inclined to do that with the crowd after his head! :nono:

It's nice to know that the Bin now runs Internet hour right after group therapy.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Remember, everyone. The documents pertaining to Knight and Perry's planning application basically filled the council chamber at Brighton town hall.

Bellotti's and Archer's, for Toad's Hole valley, were on two (2) sheets of A4.
My recollection is that there was an accompanying sketch map as well.

When it reached my desk at ESCC, I dealt with it in about two minutes by writing a note to the effect that it was impossible to comment on the transport aspects of the application, since no details had been provided. A subsequent letter to the Club produced ... no response whatsover.

Does anyone remember whether Bellotti had even asked the owners of Toads Hole Valley whether they supported the idea of a stadium being built on their land?

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield

Safeway said:
Calm down, for f***'s sake. You'll give yourself a coronary.

All water under the bridge now, not even worth getting a hair out of place over.

All is good as we have DK sorting out Falmer stop worrying.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bellotti said history would judge them

Safeway said:
Blimey, never thought about it like that. Makes you feel guilty for shouting "Archer out".

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Especially when you consider what line of business his company was in.:(

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004

Safeway said:
Calm down, for f***'s sake. You'll give yourself a coronary.

Oh yes please! I do hope he does! :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bellotti said history would judge them

Goring Gull said:
All water under the bridge now, not even worth getting a hair out of place over.

All is good as we have DK sorting out Falmer stop worrying.

:lolol: :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just to put the records straight Greg Stanley never ever wanted to build a stadium on Toads Hole and in fact went on the radio after an evening game and said that Toads Hole was out of the question because of the mist and he quoted that had we been playing there on that particular evening the game would have been called off and so would numerous other games during the winter and we could not afford the postponments.

Also I do not recollect there ever being a stipulation about the ground being within 8 miles of Brighton town centre until after we had been at Gillingham and had started making enquiries about ground sharing with Millwall etc.

Finally it was Hampshire Police that put the stop on us ground sharing with Portsmouth as they would not allow it.

Anything else as to whether or not we would have a ground by now is pure conjecture dependant on how you wish to view the situation there is nobody who can give an outright Yes or No answer.

In case anybody wishes to raise it I am not sticking up for them in any way shape or form just passing on facts as I saw them.

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
There is little doubt that Archer had the money to fund a new ground, he is one of the richest men in Britain, the fact is that he never intended to and did not do so.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Blimey, have people gone stark raving bonkers?

Archer and Belloti were only interested in the sale of the Goldstone Ground. They had no interest in the club or finding a new ground for us.

Stalin would have been proud of the rewriting of history going on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here