Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bell Cheeses at work

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Blimey! There's a fair few of us then! Reckon we've got the makings of a company in here!

Probably not the best idea, we'd spend the whole time coming on here moaning about each other.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I've been on this thread intermittently, offering support and suggestions (often Honey Badger related) to my office-bound brethren but never needing to vent about anything. Until now.

Name droppers. Why do they have to exist? What thought process do they go through when they use lines such as 'Mr Important really wanted to see this done in this way', instead of actually raising any isues they have with the approach already being taken?

Do they honestly believe that I, despite actually being correct (and for once being sure of it), am going to throw it all out of the window to appease them and, by extension, the higher power? The worst part is they keep dropping the same name in an attempt (I presume) to show that they've a) talked to them and b) that they agree with them.

Surely, if it really was the case that the higher powers cared that much, they'd be the ones getting in touch rather than someone with no clue what they're talking about.

*deep breath*

TLDR; If you lack the social skill to raise and discuss an issue, don't try to use a 'name' to bend others to your will, it'll be seen through very quickly.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
As part of an internal restructure, we've recently had a different team of c10 people move onto our open plan floor of c120. There is one bloke who seems confused how a phone works, to the detriment of the entire office.

He has spent LITERALLY ALL morning PACING lengths of the office, borderline SHOUTING into the handsfree earphones bit that he has connected to the phone because he can't be ARSED to hold it to his ear. He doesn't even need his hands to be free - he's not writing notes or driving. He's just holding his phone in front of him, which the earphones are connected to. We have soundproofed meeting rooms for this SHIT. You have a desk if you HAVE to take the call on your mobile. WHY, IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, he feels the need to broadcast his confidential call to the ENTIRE office, is utterly beyond me.

Fortunately I've had a promotion recently and I'm starting on a new floor on Monday so I only have a few hours left to endure. Plus I've had some beers bought for me as a leaving gift, so if it continues I might have to CRACK one open.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
As part of an internal restructure, we've recently had a different team of c10 people move onto our open plan floor of c120. There is one bloke who seems confused how a phone works, to the detriment of the entire office.

He has spent LITERALLY ALL morning PACING lengths of the office, borderline SHOUTING into the handsfree earphones bit that he has connected to the phone because he can't be ARSED to hold it to his ear. He doesn't even need his hands to be free - he's not writing notes or driving. He's just holding his phone in front of him, which the earphones are connected to. We have soundproofed meeting rooms for this SHIT. You have a desk if you HAVE to take the call on your mobile. WHY, IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, he feels the need to broadcast his confidential call to the ENTIRE office, is utterly beyond me.

Fortunately I've had a promotion recently and I'm starting on a new floor on Monday so I only have a few hours left to endure. Plus I've had some beers bought for me as a leaving gift, so if it continues I might have to CRACK one open.

I'll give it a week before you're back on this thread.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005

There is someone doing just that right now were I work, and he is quite near. Strolling around yacking into his phone.

Every so on he walks over to the window, then down a corridor , then back again, then does the whole circuit again.

Can't see the problem with just sitting down to take a call....

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
There is someone doing just that right now were I work, and he is quite near. Strolling around yacking into his phone.

Every so on he walks over to the window, then down a corridor , then back again, then does the whole circuit again.

Can't see the problem with just sitting down to take a call....

They want as many people as possible to hear how vitally important their telephone conversation is. You are meant to be swooning in admiration at how integral they are to the future of the business. You are lucky to have this obvious born winner as a colleague.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
They want as many people as possible to hear how vitally important their telephone conversation is. You are meant to be swooning in admiration at how integral they are to the future of the business. You are lucky to have this obvious born winner as a colleague.

Ive always thought this is also why people sit on their phones on trains shouting louder than they normally would. To show people they are important. its like a chain effect on comuter trains once one person starts another does all vying for the title of most important person on the train.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Ive always thought this is also why people sit on their phones on trains shouting louder than they normally would. To show people they are important. its like a chain effect on comuter trains once one person starts another does all vying for the title of most important person on the train.

Of course they're completely unaware that they're really fighting for: biggest C*** on the train.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Other than the noisy eater who I think I mentioned earlier in this thread and who has now left, there are no real annoying personalities on my floor. However, it has been so quiet in the office today I am about to start talking to myself it's that or ram my head through my monitor. Someone make idle conversation PLEASE.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Other than the noisy eater who I think I mentioned earlier in this thread and who has now left, there are no real annoying personalities on my floor. However, it has been so quiet in the office today I am about to start talking to myself it's that or ram my head through my monitor. Someone make idle conversation PLEASE.

This is not the thread you are looking for.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm sat under my own little column of light, every other one in the office has turned off due to lack of motion.

I am completely alone.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Very disappointing development today.

We are having our office reconfigured to accept some new staff. This means noisy American woman has been kicked out of her office and is now in the next bank of desks to me. Now I know by habit Americans are luod, but this woman is driving me MAD - it was bad enough before when I could hear her through a shut door but now there is NO BARRIER. So far today, I've had to listen to why the latest presentation she is doing doesn't need to be shown to compliance (it clearly does), how she had a really important call with Bruce in Sydney (seriously) a couple of horribly pally chats with colleagues in other offices who she thinks she's best mates with (but who obviously can't stand her) and a loud diatribe telling the office junior how to do her job.

I've still got 3 hours to go..........

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

The 'look at me' phone call. Does my head in..........especially when they stick their elbow out (I know, a bit of an irrational annoyance, but it winds me up)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Breaking News: A man in my office had a shave between going home last night and coming in today.

I thought there was a firework display going on when he came in, the amount of ohing and ahing. He then undertook an intense 15 minute interview fielding questions from all angles about this complex process. He came in at 0830 and the wonderment has just started to subside.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I spoke too soon, one of his closer colleagues came in at 0855 and the process has started again.

If I hear one more person say "you look 10 years younger" to him, I'm going to go Michael Douglas.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Must be worth a game of Family Fortunes for the the 5 top Answers in [MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] s office today. The top answer has obviously already gone but I'll go with :

Whose the new guy? <followed by fake laugh>

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here