Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bell Cheeses at work

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
DRAMA here today.

The server somehow got a virus, (we now know on the 21st) which has caused the thing to DIE, yesterday. IT has ressurected it from the dead, adn systems are all now up BUT every single file that has been accessed, edit or generated since the 21st is now either missing or corrupted beyond recovery. This basically includes all our essential day to day spreadsheets - bookings diary, customer order book, stock sheets, etc. Its actually a proper nightmare, and is going to create masses of work to rebuild.

However the ACTUAL issues are nothing, compared with the reaction to it all...

Noise machine is LOVING it, as she is able to BUSTLE about. She absolutely loves to BUSTLE. Because what she is doing is so very IMPORTANT.

Crisp monster is keeping a very low profile, after the discovery this morning that she has somehow failed to succesfully manage the weekly task of replacing the BACK UP TAPE, since 24th NOVEMBER.

Absolute goat ****.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
People coming into work coughing and spluttering all over the place; "oh I've got so much work to do and I'd just be bored at home".

It's effectively someone saying "I am more important than you lot. It is imperative that I am here but if you all fall ill it doesn't matter......However I will bitch and moan that I had to pick up your work whilst you were sick.

I'm sure some people think like this but my guess is that in 90% of cases, people come in when they're sick because their managers insist they do. I've certainly been told that a particular meeting is so important that I had to be there, even if I were at death's door. Hell, I've even had my boss ringing me up moaning that I'm not at work when I was in the process of being discharged from hospital.

And it's certainly the case that, in these days of job insecurity, employers look at sickness records. If a company is looking to get rid of one of two workers: one of whom has been off two days in the past year and one who has been off 22 days, then the latter is on a sticky wicket. In those circumstances, you really can't blame people for coming in sick - it's the working culture that's at fault, not the individuals

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
she has somehow failed to succesfully manage the weekly task of replacing the BACK UP TAPE, since 24th NOVEMBER.

I absolutely LOVE stuff like this. When someone drops an absolute real Class-A, solid gold SHITBURGER. Especially when it's something really simple and there's no reasonable excuse for the cock up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I absolutely LOVE stuff like this. When someone drops an absolute real Class-A, solid gold SHITBURGER. Especially when it's something really simple and there's no reasonable excuse for the cock up.

The 'good' news, is that it hasn't put her off her food... :rolleyes:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm sure some people think like this but my guess is that in 90% of cases, people come in when they're sick because their managers insist they do. I've certainly been told that a particular meeting is so important that I had to be there, even if I were at death's door. Hell, I've even had my boss ringing me up moaning that I'm not at work when I was in the process of being discharged from hospital.

And it's certainly the case that, in these days of job insecurity, employers look at sickness records. If a company is looking to get rid of one of two workers: one of whom has been off two days in the past year and one who has been off 22 days, then the latter is on a sticky wicket. In those circumstances, you really can't blame people for coming in sick - it's the working culture that's at fault, not the individuals
This is absolutely spot on. These days it's common for a person to be involved in some kind of disciplinary procedure if one is unlucky enough to be sick on more than one occasion. My brother once broke his leg badly and a major national employer tried to sack him. The employer told him to walk to his workplace which was over a mile away and then perform his duties which involved being on his feet and walking around. I've dragged myself to work this week even though I should have had at least a couple of days off. Being in work is rubbish with a high temperature etc but it's better than losing your job.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

It's even more hilarious when instead of holding their hand up, accepting responsibility and doing what they can to resolve the situation, they expend all their energy on trying to come up with ridiculous excuses and shifting the blame or hide and hope no one picks them up on it. I take pleasure in watching that type of person squirm.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The server somehow got a virus, (we now know on the 21st)

Crisp monster is keeping a very low profile, after the discovery this morning that she has somehow failed to succesfully manage the weekly task of replacing the BACK UP TAPE, since 24th NOVEMBER.

How many times has she tried to use "we only lost two weekdays..." (I'm assuming its a Monday job, as 24/11 was a Monday so she should have swapped on the 26th) as an excuse? Have seen this, and all the stuff shc mentions above ^ too bloody often.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How many times has she tried to use "we only lost two weekdays..." (I'm assuming its a Monday job, as 24/11 was a Monday so she should have swapped on the 26th) as an excuse? Have seen this, and all the stuff shc mentions above ^ too bloody often.

In fairness to the annoying BINT, it seems that she only failed to actually swap the tape, this Monday. She has been swapping them every Monday before that, but the virus has been apparently sat there, first disabling the backing up, then lying DORMANT for three months, and only then ****ing everything up.

You almost have to ADMIRE the sneaky *******s.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Great thread - tempted to make another NSC account just to contributes a my username is traceable in theory...!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
People who have the startup sound on the PC/Mac play really loud :tosser:
Yes, you've switched your machine on you cock.

Even worse, one person in the office who has some sort of pinging sound when they get an email. Yes, we all have lots of emails!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
In fairness to the annoying BINT, it seems that she only failed to actually swap the tape, this Monday. She has been swapping them every Monday before that, but the virus has been apparently sat there, first disabling the backing up, then lying DORMANT for three months, and only then ****ing everything up.

You almost have to ADMIRE the sneaky *******s.

Time to 'suggest' that she has to read the backup logs and do test restores frequently from now on - particularly if the server is anywhere you can't hear her.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
The office is in uproar today, someone has put a teabag in the sink in the ladies loo. People are very upset by this, as much as i understand its something different there is no need to get upset by a teabag in a toilet sink.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
GOOD NEWS for me, I was on holiday for 2 weeks and came back yesterday (that's not the good bit) but the day before I left we had a desk move, I didn't really get time to fully assess the situation before I went away especially as not everyone had moved. After two days back I can confirm things are looking up for the following reasons:

- I've managed to BAG a desk with my back to the window, away from anyone walking past, this was actually decided by the flip of a coin (I do have sympathy with the other guy but not enough to give up my seat).
- I'm now sitting with my team, developers who have a similar attitude to me and don't do GOSSIP. Previously I was in amongst the NOISE having to endure all the nonsense conversations close-up
- The new desks used to be occupied by some of the LOUD crowd, specifically the CACKLING fat woman, they've now moved to a different office
- I'm further away from the DOGS, so they barely cause me any disturbance (although one of them was barking a few minutes ago)

Work is suddenly a happier place :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I still just cannot get my head round people being allowed to bring their DOGS with them to work, that just seems utterly bizarre to me. I'd go disco mental if I had to share an office with someones smelly mangey mutt all day.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Clearly someone somewhere is reading these threads, as I also have some good news to report.

1. The programme manager who has made my life hell for the last 6 months by blocking pretty much every development I raise, making my job almost impossible, is leaving to " pursue other opportunities".
2. The newbie has been moved away from me, still close enough to talk to/at me, but far enough that I am not in the direct line of fire.
3. The "have you read my email" developer, is being moved to another project so will no longer have to converse with my boss.

So keep going everyone else, there is light at the end of the tunnel....... hopefully.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Working for what was called a Business Continuity company and is now called an Availability Company, you see real horror stories and we have had a few where people have backup tapes which are supposed to be put offsite and the person responsible puts it in their draws or leaves it in the car, where it gets cold and oxidises the tape....

With Cloud Computing and Storage available and relatively cheap compared to buying your own hardware/backup solution, there is no excuse whatsoever now for businesses to do tape backups and we have found that our traditional tape based recovery has practically disappeared. recover to Cloud and Vaulting solutions are all the rage.

Best recovery story I have is one night a company's network started "Flapping" and the on call engineer based in the sub continent decided without telling anyone, to remotely reboot all the transport switches and associated servers to see if "switching it off and back on again would work" What he didn't realise was that said company was undergoing a massive upgrade ( although everyone had been drilled on the changes) to their systems( hence the flapping) and were backing up and restoring systems in a strict rotation. The break caused the whole thing to go PHUTT and due to the nature of the company and the 100% availability requirement, it lost millions in law suits and lost business. luckily it wasn't one of our customers.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Out of curiosity, how many tech guys do we have on NSC?

I'm a SQL Dev and I'm pretty sure Two Choices Tom is as well. Reading this thread there seems to be a lot of devs on this glorious board of ours.

Global Change and Release Manager
Former AS400 S36/S38 Developer
Makes me laugh how everyone thinks virtualisation through Cloud Computing is new technology, when that is how mainframes worked in the 60's and 70's!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here