Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Belgium beer ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Got to be the world`s best by far hasn`t it ?

Chimay, Westvleteren and Westhalle. Dont even mention that weak shit Stella.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Got to be the world`s best by far hasn`t it ?

Chimay, Westvleteren and Westmalle. Dont even mention that weak shit Stella.

Oooh, here we go again...

The trouble with Westvleteren, lovely as it is, is it's increasingly hard to come by. It's gained in popularity a great deal since some organisation awarded it "best beer in the world" a couple of years back, but the monks at the abbey stedfastly refuse to up the miniscule amounts they brew (they aren't interested in making it a commercial business, more power to their elbow).

Even in Belgium it's a rare find in pubs. The only place I know in Brussels that always has it (Beer Mania, which is actually an offy with a bar at the back rather than a pub) charges €12 a bottle - because he can and because there are enough stupid American tourists out there willing to pay that much. Fortunately the Kulminator in Antwerp hasn't become that outrageous yet, nor has the Stille Genieter in Mechelen.

Anyhows to that esteemed list, I move to add (in some vague semblance of order) some other fireside favourites:

Rochefort (6, 8 & 10), Achel, Orval, Abbaye des Rocs, Watou Kapittel Prior, Gouden Carolus (the Classic is great, their Xmas beer is luuuurvelly...), Val Dieu Grand Cru, Corsendonk Pater and of course the old workhorse Duvel (a nicer quaffing beer you couldn't imagine).

And lots more besides.

I like beer. :drool:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For great lager, follow the bear.

hofmeisterlager.jpg

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
My favourites were Grimbergen, Ter Dolen, Campbells Scotch (bizarre choice of name for a Belgian beer) and Hoegaarden.

What I liked was that pretty much every beer was served in its own glass and some with either little bits of cheese or nuts to enhance the flavour. Say what you like about the Belgians but what they don't know about brewing good beer isn't worth knowing. It always amazed me that the Dutch, having the Belgians and Germans as next door neighbours can't brew beer for toffee.

Shouldn't it be "Belgian" beer.

Yes do like it, had a very enjoyable few days in Bruges a few years back. Impressed by the choices on offer and the friendliness of the bar staff in suggesting ones to try.

Only gripe is the strength - wish there was a equivalent to a "session" ale (Harveys Hadlow or similar) as after a few bottles the room starts to go all blurry!

Whilst a real ale fan, I don't have a problem with "foreign" beers provided they are the real thing and not a "brewed under licence" abomination.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Only gripe is the strength - wish there was a equivalent to a "session" ale (Harveys Hadlow or similar) as after a few bottles the room starts to go all blurry!

If by "session" ale you mean no stronger than 5%, then I'd suggest De Koninck, which is very passable, if not quite Premier League.

If you can stretch a bit higher, Orval is "only" 6.2% and that's gorgeous.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Don't you find it a bit sweet though? It's nice in small doses, but sticks my gums together after a while...

It is a bit sweet i guess but you only really ever have 1 or 2.

I really like the Amber beers tho and as we discussed the other day Orval is great

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Dutch , thread closed

As Kryten says on Red Dwarf: "We've recycled the water so often it's beginning to taste like Dutch lager."

Never a truer word spoken.

As Gully says, the Dutch are far too busy sticking their fingers into dykes (*titter*) to bother picking up any decent brewing tips from their neighbours.

Dandyman

In London village.
Oooh, here we go again...

The trouble with Westvleteren, lovely as it is, is it's increasingly hard to come by. It's gained in popularity a great deal since some organisation awarded it "best beer in the world" a couple of years back, but the monks at the abbey stedfastly refuse to up the miniscule amounts they brew (they aren't interested in making it a commercial business, more power to their elbow).

Even in Belgium it's a rare find in pubs. The only place I know in Brussels that always has it (Beer Mania, which is actually an offy with a bar at the back rather than a pub) charges €12 a bottle - because he can and because there are enough stupid American tourists out there willing to pay that much. Fortunately the Kulminator in Antwerp hasn't become that outrageous yet, nor has the Stille Genieter in Mechelen.

Anyhows to that esteemed list, I move to add (in some vague semblance of order) some other fireside favourites:

Rochefort (6, 8 & 10), Achel, Orval, Abbaye des Rocs, Watou Kapittel Prior, Gouden Carolus (the Classic is great, their Xmas beer is luuuurvelly...), Val Dieu Grand Cru, Corsendonk Pater and of course the old workhorse Duvel (a nicer quaffing beer you couldn't imagine).

And lots more besides.

I like beer. :drool:

And most of them can be found in the Evening Star...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here