Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Belgium beer ?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
What about Leffe?

The Blonde and the Brune make OK session beers.

The stronger Leffes like the Radieuse and Tripel are OK, but they're pale shadows of the really classic Belgians. More a case of InBev (Interbrew) trying to make a beer that sounds classy, but not quite having the sophistication to pull ot off.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
i'm no expert on belgian beer, but i love this

blond-triple-karmeliet-27359.jpg

As was mentioned on the other recent thread, Mrs Truf's favourite...

and when in brussels, stumbled upon a parade celebrating this

image1.jpg

delirium had just won best beer in the world and they made porcelain pink elephants to celebrate, i got one but gave it away!

They were actually given that tag "best beer in the world" about 10 years ago, but they still live off it. It's pretty good stuff though. And if you like that, the Delirium Nocturnum and Delirium Christmas (both dark brown ales as opposed the the blond Tremens) are also worthy of your attention.

another good one (& TLO's fave) is this

Barbar.jpg

Flavoured with honey. They also do a nice winter ale called Barbar Winterbok.

And if you like the honey beers, another good one is one called Bieken, made by the Boelens brewery:

636biekenmn6.jpg

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Barbar Wnterbok is (or was) available in the Evening Star.

But in response to the thread starer - yes, there are some Belgian beers which are the best in the world.

Dougal, I assume you're on a wind-up. If so, it's a crap one. If not, get your mouth washed out with some Oerbier and don't mention D***h l***r again, there's a good lad. :)

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Incidentally, another little known Belgian beer fact, and one of the great marketing cock-ups of the world:

When "InBev" - the official name of Interbrew these days - was so-named, the owners failed to notice that the word was already in use in Antwerp as a slang term for cunnilingus.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If by "session" ale you mean no stronger than 5%, then I'd suggest De Koninck, which is very passable, if not quite Premier League.

If you can stretch a bit higher, Orval is "only" 6.2% and that's gorgeous.

The De Koninck triple is great. Not a session beer at 9 though. I am going to the Westvleteren monastery soon Truffle to stock up on their 2 best. Its only an hour from Calais so can do it in a day. Wonder how much they will let me through customs with.

I might even wear a very course cassock for the day. I read that Wetherspoons do a version of De Koninck that is 'finished off' over here. I cannot understand that totally.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
I am going to the Westvleteren monastery soon Truffle to stock up on their 2 best. Its only an hour from Calais so can do it in a day. Wonder how much they will let me through customs with.

I might even wear a very course cassock for the day.

Have one for me in the Vrede, the café next door. :thumbsup:

Just to avoid frustration, you are aware I hope that neither the pub nor the hole-in-the-wall shop are open on Fridays?

And more importantly these days, the shop has a regular tendency to sell out due to under-supply and heavy demand. It's best to call in advance to find out if they actually have anything to sell (+32 (0)57 401057). When they do have something in stock, they also limit the amount they will sell to each customer (although I don't know what that limit is).

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Have one for me in the Vrede, the café next door. :thumbsup:

Just to avoid frustration, you are aware I hope that neither the pub nor the hole-in-the-wall shop are open on Fridays?

And more importantly these days, the shop has a regular tendency to sell out due to under-supply and heavy demand. It's best to call in advance to find out if they actually have anything to sell (+32 (0)57 401057). When they do have something in stock, they also limit the amount they will sell to each customer (although I don't know what that limit is).

Ta... have had a look at their site and they seem to produce a fair bit but if I am unlucky then I shall just go to one of the local stores and buy up all their Chimay Grand Reserve and moan all the way home.:drool:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Ta... have had a look at their site and they seem to produce a fair bit but if I am unlucky then I shall just go to one of the local stores and buy up all their Chimay Grand Reserve and moan all the way home.:drool:

Looking at the website, you now need to reserve in advance, which should at least avoid disappointment - The abbey of Saint Sixtus of Westvleteren
- and I also note it's a different phone number to the one I quoted (which was nicked from Tim Webb's excellent CAMRA GBG to Belgium).

Edit: but €33 for 24 bottles of the yellow cap "12" is an ABSOLUTE STEAL.

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Questions - I don't think that there is a limit on the amount of beer you can bring through customs any more, as long as the amount is reasonable and can be assumed to be for personal use and not some sort of commercial venture...judging by the number of vans I saw with their back axle scraping the ground the last time I passed through Calais I am guessing that this rule is up for interpretation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Myself and the Germans have a thing to say about this!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Questions - I don't think that there is a limit on the amount of beer you can bring through customs any more, as long as the amount is reasonable and can be assumed to be for personal use and not some sort of commercial venture...judging by the number of vans I saw with their back axle scraping the ground the last time I passed through Calais I am guessing that this rule is up for interpretation.

Thats good as I get nervous when I have 11 things in my basket when I queue at the 10 items or less checkout at my local Tesco.
Mind you Westy 12 is a Class A beer at 10.2 % abr.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here