Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being a Brighton manager

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Kinky Gerbils said:
Stan Ternant - sacked by Burnley, failed to keep Gillingham up - yeah because that was all his doing!

Exactly the same excuse that you would have made for a post Xmas appointment here if it'd gone wrong no doubt. It's always one liners with you isn't it?? Never a reasoned discussion...cue a one liner

Re Ternant, no other bugger seems to want him a year down the line, can't see why we would either

Last edited:

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Icy Gull said:
Is not a job that any currently succesful manager is gonna want, so what makes you think that we are going to attract a better manager than the one we've got?

One promotion, one season of staying up against the odds, one season of relegation when the heart of the team has been sold and not replaced is MM's record.

I hear Danny Wilson's name. Who did we beat in the playoffs? Where are MK Dons in the table?

Ian Holloway - nutter, no thanks

Stan Ternant - sacked by Burnley, failed to keep Gillingham up

All people with no history of doing well with no money, how the feck are they gonna do any better than MM?

I have yet to hear one suggestion that is both feasible and also covers a manager who can work with f*** all.

John Hollins ????

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Icy Gull said:
Exactly the same excuse that you would have made for a post Xmas appointment here if it'd gone wrong no doubt. It's always one liners with you isn't it?? Never a reasoned discussion...cue a one liner

Re Ternant, no other bugger seems to want him a year down the line, can't see why we would either

Why does the lengh of my answer have anything to do with it?

Ok

Ternat took Bury up to a highish level on a limited budget and did the same while maintaining Burnley in the championship on a small budget with very little to spend.
To blame him for taking Gillingham down is like blaming Coppell for taking Brighton down, yes he was partly to do with it but it was what happened before him that did the damage and like Coppell he gave Gillingham a chance of staying up which was better than we he took over.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
The fact is we do not have the Infrastructure for the cc, until we get that level playing field we will always be where we are now!

:nono:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Kinky Gerbils said:
Ternat took Bury up to a highish level on a limited budget and did the same while maintaining Burnley in the championship on a small budget with very little to spend.
To blame him for taking Gillingham down is like blaming Coppell for taking Brighton down, yes he was partly to do with it but it was what happened before him that did the damage and like Coppell he gave Gillingham a chance of staying up which was better than we he took over.

Can't argue with that.

Kinky Gerbils said:
Stan Ternant - sacked by Burnley, failed to keep Gillingham up - yeah because that was all his doing!
He was there well before Christmas. I can remember him bringing his team to Withdean, moaning that the match shouldn't be played, hence demotivating his own team, then McGhee's team promptly sent his sorry Pikeys home with Nil points :clap2: :clap2:

But other than that, I'm sure he's great.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbils said:

You said the same thing about Burnley having a small budget with little to spend this season. Then it was pointed out to you all the money that Cotterill had spent and you were owned, were you not?

Just because they are "oop north" - it doesn't mean they live in shoeboxes. They still have a stadium and infrastructure that is vastly better than ours and all their managers have benefited from that, Ternant and Cotterill.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Being a Brighton manager

Silent Bob said:
A gamble on someone who has no experience is better than keeping someone with a proven track record of being shit.

A remarkable definition of someone who got us promoted first time of asking and then became the first manager to keep us in the second tier since 1991. Sorry to keep throwing the facts at you.

Last edited:

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Being a Brighton manager

Adriodinho said:
He hasn't got experience.

Its the same with young palyers, they are good but need experience.

And how do they get experience? - i'll tell you how, by being given a chance! I would still prefer Holloway but thats only because i find him hilarious.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Being a Brighton manager

London Irish said:
A remarkable definition of someone who got us promoted first time of asking and then became the first manager to keep us in the second tier since 1991. Sorry to keep throwing the facts at you.

We all know they are the facts but if we continue to look to the past then sooner or later we will turn our heads back to the future and we'll be struggling in league 1. If anyone thinks next season will be easy then they are hugely mistaken.

LDH

Sep 22, 2004
I'm coming round to the idea of Wilkins. I wasn't sure at first but look at Watford to see how taking a chance on a less experienced manager *can* work. I think it's a bit of a risk but i think it might be one worth taking..

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Icy Gull said:
Is not a job that any currently succesful manager is gonna want, so what makes you think that we are going to attract a better manager than the one we've got?

One promotion, one season of staying up against the odds, one season of relegation when the heart of the team has been sold and not replaced is MM's record.

I hear Danny Wilson's name. Who did we beat in the playoffs? Where are MK Dons in the table?

Ian Holloway - nutter, no thanks

Stan Ternant - sacked by Burnley, failed to keep Gillingham up

All people with no history of doing well with no money, how the feck are they gonna do any better than MM?

I have yet to hear one suggestion that is both feasible and also covers a manager who can work with f*** all.

Glad to see someone talking sense at last. :clap:

McShane79

Oct 20, 2005
Worthing
I've always been pro McGhee in these threads, until saturdays game. I can't understand the plan in the second half when we were 2 down with 30 mins to go, needing to get a result and knowing the Crewe/Sheff Wed and Millwall games were going as we would want them.

When he did make a sub (not counting Carole just after half time), it was a striker for striker and a couple of minutes later, a defender for a defender. Too late. Too damn late.

There was no harm in gambling like Middlesborough did last Thursday, and going very attacking. Very frustrating game to watch.

Plus our attendance was 7,999!! Are we ever going to break the magic 8,000 barrier??

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Kinky Gerbils said:
Why does the lengh of my answer have anything to do with it?

Ok

Well it's easier to pick holes in an argument :)

I accept that he cannot be held responsible for Gillingham's eventual fate but he had the opportunity and failed for whatever reason. Just doesn't inspire me and MM has done a reasonable job, imo, given the restraints. I just don't think switching the manager when there is nobody, again just my opinion, who has the credentials to do any better than MM is the way forward. Like Holloway who's teams seem to play pretty drab football, I just don't think he'll do any better.

Dean Wilkins? I wouldn't be averse to giving him a go but it's a big risk and in case you hadn't noticed all the relegated Championship teams who sacked their managers before or after relegation last season have not done much. Forest have had a bit of a run recently but our situation cannot be compared to them, the other two Gillingham and Rotherham have continued to be shit.

Nobody mentioned on this thread or elsewhere are any better than what we already have, again imo. The last time we were in League 1 McGhee did the job, as he did previously with Millwall and I think he could do it again. I know how anti McGhee you are but the players he has got rid of this season haven't done much either including Leon except big Mac and we've got him on another years contract haven't we

:ohmy:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Mouldy Boots said:
Hinshs record was not that different than MM current record i feel he was sacked far too early, he had no money and many youngster he would have got the team playing football.

Dean Wilkins can not be judged on the fact he has no league managment experience the only way to get any is to is for someone to give him the job.

Dean Wilkins is my first choice.:clap: :clap:

Oh dear dear dear, when a team loses 12 on the spin you think the manager should stay? bravo!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here