Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being a Brighton manager

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Kinky Gerbils said:
mr mcghees record is almost the same

Exactly. Hinsh had one win in twelve, and was hamstrung by far worse injury problems than McGhee has had to cope with, losing two of his key players for most of his reign. I fail to see that McGhee's record this season is much, if at all, better.

LDH said:
I'm coming round to the idea of Wilkins. I wasn't sure at first but look at Watford to see how taking a chance on a less experienced manager *can* work. I think it's a bit of a risk but i think it might be one worth taking..

Yes, but Boothroyd was head coach at Leeds and showed his credentials there and made his reputation there. Wilkins has never coached anyone but kids. I can see why people might be putting his name forward as a replacement, for example, for Bob Booker, but it would be utter madness to give him the top job until he has some kind of track record in men's, not kid's, football.

Repugnant Toad said:
I fail to see that McGhee's record this season is much, if at all, better.

Hinshelwood lost 10 out of 12 games in charge, McGhee 19 in 42 games this season. If you think that's the same, you are being very droll. McGhee has lost less games this season than say, Paul Sturrock at Sheffield Wednesday.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
London Irish said:
McGhee has lost less games this season than say, Paul Sturrock at Sheffield Wednesday.

O well done mark! :clap2: Were going down and they are more than likely staying up, but congratulations on loosing less games this season than Paul Sturrock :jester:

sir danny cullip said:
O well done mark! :clap2: Were going down and they are more than likely staying up, but congratulations on loosing less games this season than Paul Sturrock :jester:

Well, if you can for a second contain your mirth at us going down, the point I was making was that we have not been cut adrift this season, unlike Hinshelwood's Albion team were and Rotherham were last season.

Last edited:

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
London Irish said:
Well, if you can for a second contain your mirth at us going down, the point I was making was that we have not been cut adrift this season, unlike Hinshelwood's Albion team were and Rotherham were last season.

Yea thats true, what that stat also shows is the amount of games we could have/should have won this year. If we had picked up the extra two points in just a few of the games this year (leeds away for example) we could be safe by now. Easy to say now i know but we really have deserved more in some games this year.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
London Irish said:
McGhee has lost less games this season than say, Paul Sturrock at Sheffield Wednesday.

Very true. But have you noticed that under Mcghee we have won fewer games, And have less points, than any other team in the Coca Cola Championship, League 1 & League 2?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
sofa fella said:
Very true. But have you noticed that under Mcghee we have won fewer games, And have less points, than any other team in the Coca Cola Championship, League 1 & League 2?

I have to say this is my biggest concern. Not winning becomes as much of a habit as winning does, and what is going to happen that will suddenly make us go from winning 7 out of 53 League games, to winning say 20/21 out of 46 which we will need if we are going to be in the play-offs next season..?

And that will be nothing to do with a change of division. The reason why we got off to a flyer last time we went down was because we were in pretty good form even though we went down from Div 1, and started from where we left off, despite relegation.

If we go down not winning another game, which looking at us on Saturday is highly likely, I really fear that we will struggle to pick up form and results on a regular basis moving into next season, and I remain unconvinced that a change of manager is definately the answer, although it may help, I believe it's much more to do with an overhaul of the squad, which as everybody knows, we don't have the money to do... So where do we go from here...?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
London Irish said:
Yes, but Boothroyd was head coach at Leeds and showed his credentials there and made his reputation there. Wilkins has never coached anyone but kids. I can see why people might be putting his name forward as a replacement, for example, for Bob Booker, but it would be utter madness to give him the top job until he has some kind of track record in men's, not kid's, football.
But if you replace, for example, Bob Booker with Dean Wilkins then you have the same problem as you have with Booker. The assistant manager is generally too close to the players to ever step up to managing them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Silent Bob said:
But if you replace, for example, Bob Booker with Dean Wilkins then you have the same problem as you have with Booker. The assistant manager is generally too close to the players to ever step up to managing them.

Unlike Boothroyd, Wilkins would not have a large transfer budget. Watford would probably been down the bottom with us if they hadn't been able to sign King and Henderson. That must have some bearing on Watford's success this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here