Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Begin the binfest

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Some serious overstating of the potential gate reciepts to the Albion, on this thread.

30,000 x average £30?

* Even at top prices the average will be lower, when you factor kids, pensioners, etc
* 3,000 1901 Club members will not need to pay anything for the match
* Half of the gate money (after deductions) goes to Arsenal
* Presumably, a value will have to be placed on the 1901 seats, and half of that value given to Arsenal, too!

So, if you pay £30 for your ticket, it will be something like £8 costs, £11 to the Albion, £11 to Arsenal.
If you are a 1901 member, you'll pay nothing (specifically for this game, though of course you've paid over all), but your seat will be 'valued' at a nominal £30. So the club will bear the £8 of costs, and still give Arsenal £11!

So, if we accept the initial '30k x £30', its actually something like:

Ticket Price = 30k (seats) - 3k (1901) = 27K. 27k x £30 = £810k
Costs = 30k x £8 = £240k
Total Revenue = £810k - £240k = £570k
Arsenal share (inc 1901) = 30k x £11 = £330k

Albion share = £570k - £330k = £240k

Of course this ignores the fact that the club have already banked the 1901 cash, and that they might 'weight' the total ticket price to make a bit on the travel, if it is included, and that they'll keep full share of the catering spend, but its just to illustrate that talk of an additional £750k in the transfer budget is wildly optimistic. I would imagine that the club would definitely welcome the additional income from being chosen for TV.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
An exciting tie and one I am thrilled with but a bit of a shame personally speaking. A combination of not being local, shift work and ever tightening finances mean I only get to a couple of games a season. I had just taken delivery of tickets for the Ipswich game, which were ordered before the cup game against Brentford when Sami was still in charge and which, frankly, I didn't think we had a hope in hell of winning. That game will now be rescheduled and my chances of being on a shift enabling me to go are 50/50. My chances of getting a ticket for the Arsenal game are also slim, even assuming that it is played at a time when I can go. Sigh!

I guess it is the price of success on the pitch. Frustrating but nice to have a problem caused by our winning games.

:albion2:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Some serious overstating of the potential gate reciepts to the Albion, on this thread.

30,000 x average £30?

* Even at top prices the average will be lower, when you factor kids, pensioners, etc
* 3,000 1901 Club members will not need to pay anything for the match
* Half of the gate money (after deductions) goes to Arsenal
* Presumably, a value will have to be placed on the 1901 seats, and half of that value given to Arsenal, too!

So, if you pay £30 for your ticket, it will be something like £8 costs, £11 to the Albion, £11 to Arsenal.
If you are a 1901 member, you'll pay nothing (specifically for this game, though of course you've paid over all), but your seat will be 'valued' at a nominal £30. So the club will bear the £8 of costs, and still give Arsenal £11!

So, if we accept the initial '30k x £30', its actually something like:

Ticket Price = 30k (seats) - 3k (1901) = 27K. 27k x £30 = £810k
Costs = 30k x £8 = £240k
Total Revenue = £810k - £240k = £570k
Arsenal share (inc 1901) = 30k x £11 = £330k

Albion share = £570k - £330k = £240k

Of course this ignores the fact that the club have already banked the 1901 cash, and that they might 'weight' the total ticket price to make a bit on the travel, if it is included, and that they'll keep full share of the catering spend, but its just to illustrate that talk of an additional £750k in the transfer budget is wildly optimistic. I would imagine that the club would definitely welcome the additional income from being chosen for TV.
I assume VAT is covered in costs?

A replay is where the real money will be made.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I assume VAT is covered in costs?

A replay is where the real money will be made.

No, I didn't even consider VAT. That will have to come off the £240K!

Any replay would likely be televised, so money to be had there. I don't think the gate reciepts would be massive though, as they would have to set the prices pretty low, to get any kind of attendance. Brighton in the 4th round of the cup would not be a huge draw, for the Arsenal fans.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The crowd v glamorous Hull in the 3rd round late on a Sunday evening, and televised on BBC ONE was a paltry 59,439 :)

As pointed out above, they got that one included in their ST deals. Most of them didn't actually go.

If ours were included too, the same would happen (and Arsenal would have to give us half the value of the tickets), but if not, only very attractive pricing would attract a sizeable crowd.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
A pretendance? Surely not.

*hides*

Ha! but inference above is that its unlikely that a replay will give Albion much of a pay day because Arsenal fans won't cough up for tickets. Whether they turn up or not then an Arsenal replay, given pricing/location/their fans, are likely to give Albion probably the biggest gate receipts of any club in the league. Even if it was Palace or Chelsea or Man Utd.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ha! but inference above is that its unlikely that a replay will give Albion much of a pay day because Arsenal fans won't cough up for tickets. Whether they turn up or not then an Arsenal replay, given pricing/location/their fans, are likely to give Albion probably the biggest gate receipts of any club in the league. Even if it was Palace or Chelsea or Man Utd.

Depends how their ST deals work. Was it just a ceratin number of included cup matches, or ALL cup matches. The Man United one, for example, doesn't INCLUDE any cup tickets, but it makes it mandatory to be charged for ALL of them!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm beginning to get the impression that there are some JCLs on here tonight who can't even remember that we played Arsenal at home in the Cup only two years ago.

Quite, that why I feel a bit meh about the draw. As we are home I would much rather have a big team who I haven't seen play at the Amex, although that probably only leaves 2 teams.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Are you saying that Arsenal won't sell the allocation of 4,500? If it was double that they would still sell-out, being realistic this is Arsenal's only chance of winning something.

It will be a capacity sell-out.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
As pointed out above, they got that one included in their ST deals. Most of them didn't actually go.

If ours were included too, the same would happen (and Arsenal would have to give us half the value of the tickets), but if not, only very attractive pricing would attract a sizeable crowd.

I'm not so sure, l think they may well bring quite a few. Certainly the season before last they did. Think about it, a nice away day by the sea, only 50 odd miles from London, a ground they don't get to visit very often . . .

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Depends how their ST deals work. Was it just a ceratin number of included cup matches, or ALL cup matches. The Man United one, for example, doesn't INCLUDE any cup tickets, but it makes it mandatory to be charged for ALL of them!

It used to be they get the first 8 cup matches (yes incl Champ League because they always seem to be in qualifiers as 4th placed team) BUT its kind of included in the price being one of the most expensive season tic in London.

I believe then like Man Utd you are charged for any other home cup games after 8 whether you go or not.

My STH Arsenal chum was telling me last year for his run of the mill seat paid £1900 last year.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
A pretendance? Surely not.

*hides*

Yep! Arsenal are the past masters. My STH chum always says there is a hearty chuckle when they announce the crowds of 59,000 and the top tier is virtually empty.

When Man Urtd, Chelsea, Citeh come a visiting then yes its actually full.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not so sure, l think they may well bring quite a few. Certainly the season before last they did. Think about it, a nice away day by the sea, only 50 odd miles from London, a ground they don't get to visit very often . . .

We were talking about their appetite for a potential replay. They'll sell out their bit of the Amex, for sure.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Probably the same reason why the Chelsea fans do the same for when they play Palace.

I know 3 people who are joint CPFC & Chelsea "fans".
I know Spuds, Black Cat, Irons, Newcastle and Liverpool supporters who have STs at the Amex. An Arsenal fan who went to the last game at the Amex was in the West Stand and said there were a fair few ST holders who were closet Arsenal fans. I'm not having a pop - just saying the the original comment wasn't too wide of the mark.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here