Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Before slitting your wrists.. Read what Bolton fans had to say about the game

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I hope to be proved wrong, but I can't see who is going to score all these goals for us to thrash someone. CMS lacks support, Barnes' confidence in front of goal has vanished, the midfield players rarely get into goalscoring positions, except for Orlandi, whose luck is out ... so I presume Buckley is going to have to do it all himself.

Orlandi doesn't need luck he needs to stop shooting straight at the keeper and be a little more wiley. The midfielders should be chipping in with goals and not just leave it all to Buckley and our lone striker.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
For crying out loud, chaps, deal with it & move on. We played really well, didn't quite get over the line thanks to a late mugging, but are still well in touch with the top six with ages of the season left, unbeaten in six, & playing some great football. Our bookings are well down, we haven't had a red yet, & so far we're drawing games we would have lost last season.

Imagine how good we're going to be when we really hit our straps? Better to do that late & run in hot than lead early & fade. Slow & steady wins the race. Sometimes we're brilliant...show a little patience & those "sometimes" will become "mostlys".

This.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
We played very well yesterday, make no bones about it. The two things we need to do imo is 1. Gove Hoskins a run in the team and 2. have a new Penalty taker. If we played like that every week, we would be flying high.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
If we hadn't blown it in the last minute of the game yesterday, I'm sure most of us would be saying that was one of the best games we'd played so far this season.

As long as we keep creating good chances in front of goal like we have been lately, it will come good soon.

I'm not a Barnes basher, but he really has got to have a stint on the bench and not be allowed to take any more penalties for a while. He also wastes a good few chances.

His composure in front of goal is not the best at the moment and it's very frustrating when he just blasts good opportunities wide.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Correct Daffy, i like Barnes but replace him with Hoskins or Dobbie for Tuesday, why not rest CMS as well......both could come on as subs if all does not go to plan.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I hope to be proved wrong, but I can't see who is going to score all these goals for us to thrash someone. CMS lacks support, Barnes' confidence in front of goal has vanished, the midfield players rarely get into goalscoring positions, except for Orlandi, whose luck is out ... so I presume Buckley is going to have to do it all himself.

When we have 13 shots on goal in the first 40 minutes I don't think this excuse can be used. I would put it down to his poor finishing/composure and lack of footballing brain which would see him be in the right place at the right time.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
For crying out loud, chaps, deal with it & move on. We played really well, didn't quite get over the line thanks to a late mugging, but are still well in touch with the top six with ages of the season left, unbeaten in six, & playing some great football. Our bookings are well down, we haven't had a red yet, & so far we're drawing games we would have lost last season.

Imagine how good we're going to be when we really hit our straps? Better to do that late & run in hot than lead early & fade. Slow & steady wins the race. Sometimes we're brilliant...show a little patience & those "sometimes" will become "mostlys".

I don't think 'getting over it' is the point. We mugged ourselves and one change HAS to be made. We are playing with ten men, we start with our hands tied and as has been said by just about everyone, we cannot finish teams off. It has nothing to do with 'getting over it'.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
How long do we have to go back to find an Albion team that missed so many chances?

Gary Nelson and Kurt Nogan both had barren spells when they missed chances and could not score at all, but we weren't creating many then.

I have to go back to the sixties with the two separate teams with Charlie Livesey who used to score regularly and then the goals dried up. And the best example is Alex Dawson who was a prolific scorer and prolific misser as well (I remember him missing an open goal twice hitting the post from three yards and two yards).

But football was different back then. Primitive really.

Middlesbrough came unstuck because they played more direct than usual (not that they could see in the mist), and Hull because they only played three at the back from the start.

I think it will definitely be unchanged at the start. I am getting closer to forecasting the team every week. One day I will get it right.

PS: I agree with Gus. It was a well engineered goal and it could have come at any time during the game.

Barnes was running into good positions but could not get direction. The Jutkiewicz miss for Middlesbrough was awful! Worse than Barnes miss (hitting the post) against Swindon from the Vicente corner.

Last edited:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Bloody well said Ms Krabappel - but it's just incredibly frustrating to be so close and yet ....... actually not that far away either. I really think we've already got the players to turn 'nearlys" into "mostlys" but Gus has got to take a deep breath and give Dobbie and Hoskins runs in the side, probably at the expense of Barnes (to be replaced by Dobbie) and Hoskins to get much more game time in place of CMS

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Yeah we should have won by a good margin. But we didn't, did we? Poor.

To say that after we were playing a team that was in the Premiership last season just shows how far we have progressed. Who would have thought we would perform like that against that sort of side 2 years ago??

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
When we have 13 shots on goal in the first 40 minutes I don't think this excuse can be used. I would put it down to his poor finishing/composure and lack of footballing brain which would see him be in the right place at the right time.

And for a £2.5 million player a truly dreadful first touch

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

That's the problem.

We play, out of a team of 11, 3 and half attacking players.

CMS, Buckley, Orlandi, and the half being Barnes.

Im not knocking Barnes, he does a lot of of good defensive work, especially with Painter at left back, but it does mean if Buckley, CMS or Orlanii don't score who will?

We need our midfielders, and even centre backs to start chipping in with goals.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I don't think 'getting over it' is the point. We mugged ourselves and one change HAS to be made. We are playing with ten men, we start with our hands tied and as has been said by just about everyone, we cannot finish teams off. It has nothing to do with 'getting over it'.

At the end Bolton fans sang 1-0 and you f**ked it up. Pretty accurate I would say. It was one of those days, and you could see them stealing it if the score stayed 1-0.

But I do agree with the glass half full brigade in that we played really well and with a little luck and a lot more clinical finishing we would be in the automatic promotion places.

Soon it will all click into place. Go back to last season we were having 4-6 shots at goal in some away games.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Dobbie's been known to score a few goals ... bit tricky sitting 3 rows back in the West Stand though

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
CMS lacks support

We played most of the game in their half, numerous crosses, through balls, possession in and around the box, Hammond, Orlandi, Barnes, Buckley all getting shots off and getting involved. How much support does CMS need - someone to hold his hand through the game!?

For what it's worth, I thought he did okay, but he just seems to have these games where he doesn't look like getting on the end of anything. It's like his radar is out of sync with where the ball is going to be. It is that mercurial strikers instinct. With CMS, he seems to have it for a couple of weeks, then it goes again.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
I wouldn't put any weight on anything that Dougie says about the Weed at a press conference. Particularly when he has just mugged ya. He has come out with some very weird stuff of late!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here