Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckford Red Card, What Happened??

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Nah, Calde's was cynical as was Greers... Thought Bridcutts was mistimed but deserved a yellow too. Can see why Spadge went, but Danns should have been straight red. The Beckford one is beyond me.

That said the ref pussied out of dealing with El Abd and Drinkwater when they had decided to have digs at each other throughout the first half.
No way was Caldes cynical....happened right in front of me ...Greer definitely premeditated

fozzie's paper boy

Aug 20, 2011
Hove
Nah, Calde's was cynical as was Greers... Thought Bridcutts was mistimed but deserved a yellow too. Can see why Spadge went, but Danns should have been straight red. The Beckford one is beyond me.

That said the ref pussied out of dealing with El Abd and Drinkwater when they had decided to have digs at each other throughout the first half.

Spot on.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Just seen this pop on Twitter

Seen Football League Show. Incorrect with Beckford sending off. I ran after ref+asked "he was sent off for kicking out at another player"

So yes, would seem not foul and abusive language, even though was reported by BBC multiple times. In that case I can see them contesting it and (rightfully imo) having the ban overturned.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
No way was Caldes cynical....happened right in front of me ...Greer definitely premeditated

East Stand? (that's where I am). Looked clear to me. I guess that's opinions for you.

Did you see their penalty shout as well? Near the end, cross came from their right (a corner I think?) and their guy was pulled to the ground. Looked blatant to me, but the ref gave it our way.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Disagree mate, he walked past Dunk on the side where his feet were so nowhere near his head so no way that could have been interpretted as contact with Dunks head and it was definitely his torso rather than head that Beckford made contact with (looked more forearm than hand when he struck Dunk)

Wait for the Seagulls Player replay of it and you'll see I'm right. His foot is planted in the ground next to Dunks head, he taps Dunk, and then steps over Dunks head.

I'm not convinced that the referee would have thought that Vicente was clean through on goal until Danns fouled him. But the referee was probably not allowing for the FACT that Vicente in any sort of space is one of the most dangerous players we've seen at the Amex.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I read that on the BBC site. Wonder what the lino heard?

Has anybody thought that he may of said something to Dunk about recent off the field events? He defo went for something that was said, a number of sources say it was for some kind of 'verbals' , and i'm sure the officials would be up to speed on this. Just a thought.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
It wasn't for verbals, the press have got that wrong, the linesman indicated it was for a kick.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sparrow's challenge wasn't two footed, but he did- I'd hope clumsily rather than maliciously- end up planting the studs of his boot into the Leicester player's shin, so I can quite easily see why he copped a red.

So did most of the stadium, it would seem, judging by the absence of the usual hysterical response to a sensing off/misguided applause of miscreant player.

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
When beckford was shown the red loads of their players want up to Lino as did Navarro and Lino was showing with his foot what he 'saw' which was a swung kick into dunk. Sat just 13 rows from the action there was no kick, looked like a dig in ribs or a forceful attempt to try and pick him up but with his hand and not foot.

Sparrow was straight red and not 2 yellows wasn't it? Looked harsh, other guy got there first but it was mills reaction, like his mother had just been shot in the head - after that ref ran the fastest he did all day. Suspended for Liverpool???

Someone also mentioned their pen shout towards end, think it was el-abd behind their beast wes Morgan hauling him down and we got the free kick. Overall, the worst 45min appearance I've seen by a set of officials but we were fully deserved winners - created a lot of good chances, should have had 3 in first half but don't like scoring in front of away fans do we.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sparrows was a stupid error on his part as he allowed the ball to run past his body and then having to lundge in for it when he could quite easily have controlled the ball at the first attempt. A case that he misjudged the situation and had to make desperate amends to retrieve the ball which was a shame because until then I thought that he had been our MOM.

Last edited:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Someone also mentioned their pen shout towards end, think it was el-abd behind their beast wes Morgan hauling him down and we got the free kick.

El Abd wasn't on the pitch then, mattock had replaced him, think it was Dunky :thumbsup: but I also thought it was a pen.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sparrows was a stupid error on his part as he allowed the ball to run past his body and then having to lundge in for it when he could quite easily have controlled the ball at the first attempt. A case that he misjudged the situation and had to make desperate amends to retrieve the ball which was a shame because until then I thought that he had been our MOM.

Agree with that BG. Sparrow must have had 5 shots charged down in the game. He looked good yesterday.

timsouch

Jul 15, 2011
the lineo did indicate it was a kick but it was only pat on the side not red card i was very close to it

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is usually an early indication of which card ius going to be shown by the speed that the ref goes to his pocket if it is a swift quick movement usually a red but a slower more deliberate movment usually results in a yellow. In Sparrows case it was straight to his pocket for card so obviously was going to be red.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here