Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckford Red Card, What Happened??

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My take on it from front row west stand upper pretty much in line
Beckford tackled Dunk in front of lino
Referee thought fair challenge and also lino thought ok too as didn't give anything
Dunk went down and Beckford thought Dunk made a meal of it by remaining of the ground in pain
Beckford then went back to Dunk and after leaving him patted him on top of head or perhaps rapped his knuckles hard on Dunk's head
Lino then flagged and ref asked lino twice whether he was certain of incident and lino confirmed
My eyesight ain't the best though but thought this was what happened

That's exactly what i thought from my view in the East.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
The Leicester supporters want the club to contest Beckfords sending off.
How can you contest a sending off for FOUL AND ABUSIVE LANGUAGE lol lol
Stated by the BBC that was the reason for the dissmissal and not the foul so Beckfords only got himself to blame

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
From my viewpoint in the WSU at that end of the ground I saw a tackle whcih left Dunk kneeling down afterwards but none of the officials thought there was a foul, Beckford then went back past Dunk heading from the touchline back towards thwe centre of the pitch and leant over and seemed to strike Dunk about the lower ribs but it could have been interpretted as either a come on and get back to your feet type tap or possibly with some force and intent behind it (depending on the view)

I thought it was a harsh red card but seeing as we have lost players to red cards for fairly innocuous incideneces (Barnes and Vincelot against Burnley) and we have had some very harsh penalties given against us this season (Palace and Southampton) so it didn't surprise me when a red card was given

I thought Sparrows red was harsh too but i want to know why Danns was only given a second yellow and not a straight red for the foul when he brought down a player goal side of him with no cover on the edge of the box and as the last defender it should have been a straight red imo

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
soft dig in the ribs, but hey

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
From my viewpoint in the WSU at that end of the ground I saw a tackle whcih left Dunk kneeling down afterwards but none of the officials thought there was a foul, Beckford then went back past Dunk heading from the touchline back towards thwe centre of the pitch and leant over and seemed to strike Dunk about the lower ribs but it could have been interpretted as either a come on and get back to your feet type tap or possibly with some force and intent behind it (depending on the view)

I thought it was a harsh red card but seeing as we have lost players to red cards for fairly innocuous incideneces (Barnes and Vincelot against Burnley) and we have had some very harsh penalties given against us this season (Palace and Southampton) so it didn't surprise me when a red card was given

I thought Sparrows red was harsh too but i want to know why Danns was only given a second yellow and not a straight red for the foul when he brought down a player goal side of him with no cover on the edge of the box and as the last defender it should have been a straight red imo

With you on this.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
He walked back past Dunk who was on all fours and dug him in the ribs... a little bit. Seemed very harsh. Funny though!

I missed it, but that's exactly how my boy described it to me at the time.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
To be fair, Sparrows challenge did look like a bit of a lunge and the ref, who was right next to it, went immediately to his back pocket with purpose. I knew then that it was a red coming out :(

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
There's a number of people in this thread who have got this wrong.

It wasn't foul and abusive language, and there wasn't a dig in the ribs.

Beckford just tapped Dunk on the head, but as he did so, his foot was near Dunk's head.

The lino's somehow thought he's kicked him in the head, when he hasn't.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Bridcutt/Calderon bookings were soft as well..ref seemed to get card happy....Leicester seemed to b looking for free kicks most of game ....n Danns was constantly in the refs ear..if he concentrated on playing he might do himself a favour

timsouch

Jul 15, 2011
wasnt even did in ribs just pat on ribs but the lineo indecate to ref it was kick but there wasnt anything that was a red card very harsh

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
There's a number of people in this thread who have got this wrong.

It wasn't foul and abusive language, and there wasn't a dig in the ribs.

Beckford just tapped Dunk on the head, but as he did so, his foot was near Dunk's head.
The lino's somehow thought he's kicked him in the head, when he hasn't.

Disagree mate, he walked past Dunk on the side where his feet were so nowhere near his head so no way that could have been interpretted as contact with Dunks head and it was definitely his torso rather than head that Beckford made contact with (looked more forearm than hand when he struck Dunk)

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
The referee set his stall out from the start. Any small bit of contact he was blowing up for against both teams.

No idea about Beckford, but the lino indicated that he had kicked out when the Leicester players confronted him. I certainly didn't see that.

Sparrow's was a mistimed tackle, was never a straight red but certainly a booking.

Danns should have been a straight red as Vicente (I think) was through on goal. Bit unlucky on his behalf as he'd been their best player by a mile but he had no choice but to make the foul. Weak refereeing just to give him a second yellow.

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
Beckfords red was right in front of me and it was defo for foul and abusive language. He mouthed off at the lino because he thought Dunk was making a meal of the challenge. The lino ignored him for a bit but he wouldn't shut up so he flagged it and off Beckford went. His own stupid fault.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Drinkwater should have gone very early on, for cuffing ElAbd round the head over on the East side.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Bridcutt/Calderon bookings were soft as well..ref seemed to get card happy....Leicester seemed to b looking for free kicks most of game ....n Danns was constantly in the refs ear..if he concentrated on playing he might do himself a favour

Nah, Calde's was cynical as was Greers... Thought Bridcutts was mistimed but deserved a yellow too. Can see why Spadge went, but Danns should have been straight red. The Beckford one is beyond me.

That said the ref pussied out of dealing with El Abd and Drinkwater when they had decided to have digs at each other throughout the first half.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Sparrows was similar to Nolan's tackle, red card. I'm guessing the ref was being generous by only giving a 2nd yellow meaning a 1 game and not a 3 game ban.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here