Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] BBC Sports Personality of the Year Official Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
British public turning this into yet another farce of a result. All the wimbledon luvvies voting for a young woman who has won one major tennis tournament. Probable the same people who voted buffoon Johnson into power.

Sporting story of the year, obvious winner. Amazing the level people will go to to turn a thread political :lolol:

Who would you have chosen ?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
She wasn't disabled, gay (as far as we know) or a person of colour.
So not sure why she was ticking boxes.
She's part Chinese, part Romanian if that helps ( not that it is the slightest bit relevant).

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Anyway sexism apart did anyone else admire her sporting athleticism…….

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Log out and go and brush up on your fake search warrant technique by rewatching Denzil and Ethan in Training Day before someone ends up kicking your door in brandishing a Chinese takeout menu. Be the hunter, never the ill-prepared hunted.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Guy Martin and the Lancaster was excellent as ever.

Confirmed to me he is somewhere on the Spectrum when he said the job on a Lancaster he would have liked was to be the Rear Gunner. :lolol:

Was also honest to say he wasn't bright enough to be Aircrew and he would probably have been an 'erk'. If so I'll bet the Merlins on HIS Lanc would have been the sweetest on the Squadron...

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Absolutely. Personally, I hate absolutely everyone who disagrees with my views on any subject. It could be sport, politics, Brexit - it doesn't matter. What I like to do is just dismiss everyone who dissents from my opinion, usually calling them "idiots" and the like.

You make an outstandingly astute point, which I must agree with. It seems blatantly obvious to me that anybody who voted Emma Raducanu SPOTY clearly also voted Conservative. That is just quality, crystal-clear logic.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Tories actually secretly plotted, conspiring with a shady cabal of "Wimbledon luvvies" in order to fix this competition in favour of Ms. Raducanu. It's the only possible solution that makes any sense.

:lolol::lolol:
10/10

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Sporting story of the year, obvious winner. Amazing the level people will go to to turn a thread political :lolol:

Who would you have chosen ?

Sarah storey. By a country mile

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sarah storey. By a country mile

Who?

I should qualify this not as a flippant “who” but i don’t follow every sport, etc, etc and can genuinely say I hadn’t heard of her (just googled her - undoubtedly a high achiever but not SPOTY for me).

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Very much so . Very pleasing on my TV set …. Not that I watched

Nice box ticking throughout really . Well done to the corporation and a fantastic year of sport

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Tom Daley second, before Adam Peatty, wow, what are people thinking!
Emma Raducanu is probably right.

Quite - A bloke who's there or there about at the olympics etc v a bloke who earlier this year had the top 20 times in his event EVER. Nobody else has done that before. He absolutely dominates his event, Daley not so.

Strictly on sporting achievement maybe, but in terms of exposure and popularity, tennis is on another stratosphere to swimming. I imagine that Emma has won more prize money than Adam ever has, in just her first year. She is a global superstar. This is a ‘personality’ award rather than best achievement.

That doesn't work though does it - If that was the case, what is Sarah Storey even doing on the list? That is not to decry her incredible achievements in any way but most people (even people really in to sport) will struggle tell you what she does, or pick her out in a line up. I actually think people miss understand the word 'personality' in the title, it's used in the same sense as the 'P' in VIP rather than as in someone's personality, otherwise how the f*** did Andy Murray and Ryan Giggs win?

All that said, despite my general loathing of tennis, the sport for people who don't like sport, Radacanu is the worthy winner.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Quite - A bloke who's there or there about at the olympics etc v a bloke who earlier this year had the top 20 times in his event EVER. Nobody else has done that before. He absolutely dominates his event, Daley not so.

That doesn't work though does it - If that was the case, what is Sarah Storey even doing on the list? That is not to decry her incredible achievements in any way but most people (even people really in to sport) will struggle tell you what she does, or pick her out in a line up. I actually think people miss understand the word 'personality' in the title, it's used in the same sense as the 'P' in VIP rather than as in someone's personality, otherwise how the f*** did Andy Murray and Ryan Giggs win?

All that said, despite my general loathing of tennis, the sport for people who don't like sport, Radacanu is the worthy winner.

I'm no Tennis fan - the only worse sports are basketball and Dressage - but I even left the pub early to watch ER in the final. Given how piss poor we've been at Tennis, especially women's, for my lifetime at any rate she is a worthy winner. The nominations in general looked like they've been picked by people who don't watch sport. Daley wasn't even the best British olympian and got his Gold in a pairs event but somehow gets 2nd and Stirling is maybe borderline arguable nomination on his Euro form but hardly on his club stuff. As for Southgate, coach of the year, it's best I don't get started as I've got Christmas shopping to do.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
True but given the chance who would you want on your face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
True but given the chance who would you want on your face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This thread's going well.

If you just wanted a J Arthur, there is plenty of sauce on the internet, so I'm told. And you have my blessing to not have to report back ???

:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here